Review: First Impressions of DB14 on PC

Mondy

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
As has been noted, any sort of on screen feedback would be great. I wouldn't mind confirmation that the ball I think I'm bowling is the one I actually delivered. While I might have the RAS pointed in the direction of a leg spinner, due to the fact that it's analogue, the ball might actually be a top spinner. It would be nice to have this confirmed.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
@HBK619 i'd love to get some more info on this too. i have just bowled another 45 overs this time on Pro, more than half with seamers and not even a hint of an edge. i was not being carted around (as in the 101 over stint) and again getting visible swing, but no edges.

i took 4 wickets, a clean bowled where the batsman (set, on 43) played a ball on middle stump (it did swing admittedly) by stepping outside leg and trying a cover drive missing the ball by miles, 2 caught in the deep off the spinner, and a caught behind - but not off the edge a "too fine" leg glance with a super catch. (hilariously, the batsman was on 99)

incidentally, all of these catches (and the ones in my innings) were attributed as a c&b on the screen that shows up as the batsman walks off, although the actual scorecard showed the correct catcher.

i'm perfectly prepared to accept i am not bowling well enough to get edges, but it's hard to know how to improve/change. i am mixing up length, i am mixing up delivery type and speed, not haphazardly but to a plan (e.g. 2 bouncers, 3 length outswingers then a full inswinger) but basically they either middle it or miss by a mile.

any guidance gratefully received.

Hello mate,

I cant say I have had "loads" of edges but I have had some nice ones to slips and keeper and a couple to gully!

Was just going to ask you if when you deliver the ball do you attempt to start the ball further outside off or down leg etc.

For example I have had a couple of snicks to the slip where I have selected to bowl an out swinger but at release instead of just pressing straight up i have pushed it slightly to the right to start the ball on middle and leg or leg.

It seems to draw an edge when implemented correctly and vice versa had resulted in me getting a few inside edge aswell!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Hello mate,

I cant say I have had "loads" of edges but I have had some nice ones to slips and keeper and a couple to gully!

Was just going to ask you if when you deliver the ball do you attempt to start the ball further outside off or down leg etc.

For example I have had a couple of snicks to the slip where I have selected to bowl an out swinger but at release instead of just pressing straight up i have pushed it slightly to the right to start the ball on middle and leg or leg.

It seems to draw an edge when implemented correctly and vice versa had resulted in me getting a few inside edge aswell!

i try to get it straight because otherwise i find i am bowling horrendous wides!
will give that a try later though, cheers

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Can I ask what factors determine high enough quality (pacers, not spinners)

For the jump is it leaving it as late as possible (just avoiding a no ball), and for release getting it 'perfect' (e.g. when seeing the visual readings in match practise mode?)

Just checking as often when bowling I deliberately release ball early/late to vary the length, but if this has an impact on how high quality a delivery is I will reconsider?

Well resorted to my own unscientific, unenlightened research into this and I do wonder if high quality deliveries only relates to getting perfect/perfect when timing jump/releasing ball

I went into match practise and played until could get perfect/perfect a lot of times and then went into casual 50 over game on veteran

Bowled 40 overs so far, AI is 202-4. First wicket caught behind to defensive push. Next 2 wickets caught in outfield and 4th wicket batsman tried to play late cut but ball went to WK

The caught behind to defensive shot was only edge I had so far. Plenty of playing and missing but couldn't get any more edges

Would love answers to following (programming wise)

-how much do pitch conditions influence likelihood of edge
-how much does bowling to a plan influence likelihood of edge
-how much do overhead conditions influence likelihood of edge
-how much does fatigue influence likelihood of edge

I am fairly confident I have bowled many high quality deliveries in game above but whilst getting plenty of playing and missing, just the one edge, hence would love to have answers to above questions to aid me in knowing what else can I do to get more edges?

thanks

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am fairly confident I have bowled many high quality deliveries in game above but whilst getting plenty of playing and missing, just the one edge, hence would love to have answers to above questions to aid me in knowing what else can I do to get more edges?

thanks

yep. chimes with my experience too. basically, they don't make "small" mistakes (in timing or line) that might lead to an edge, they either middle it or miss it by a distance. i was bowling a good line, mixing it up, getting visible swing and never at one point felt the edges/wickets would come. it took me until the 71st over (PRO, England Rebels 1982 vs South Africa Colts 1982) till i got an edge. then i bowled 10 overs with the new ball to tail enders (they ultimately declared 9 down after 90 overs) and again didn't get a single edge or feel like i was going to.

it'd be great to get your q's answered and to know what we need to be doing.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'll have more time next week to get into the nitty gritty of the systems and how things work, been flat out with the patches etc.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I'll have more time next week to get into the nitty gritty of the systems and how things work, been flat out with the patches etc.

Thanks - would really appreciate the input. All this clamour of wanting edges tweaked might well be uncalled for :thumbs

thegr8anand

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I have been playing the career mode(pro) as fast bowler and imo i get wickets when i deviate from perfect/perfect or good deliveries. Maybe its the change that get them out but bowling well has only resulted in less runs but less wickets as well. Guess as a pacer its true to life. But definitely should be getting more edges. Must be almost impossible on higher difficulties. But my 17 yr old's stats aren't great yet either.

Last edited:

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Not played with patch two yet: but I'm sure on patch 1 on PS3 I was more likely to get a wicket with a ball that I had messed up on, at least in career mode. Like I'd bowl a bunch of balls that generally pitched in line or outside off; straightened and were either blocked or left/padded away if it was outside off (this is left-arm unorthodox to left-handers: although its similar with right-handers as well) and then suddenly mess up my inputs and end with a ball released at 180RPM way, way down the leg side being played in the air towards the square leg fielder. Its not like bad balls don't lead to wickets in real cricket: its just sometimes a little frustrating when you bowl well repeatedly for no reward and then end up bowling a total shocker that leads to a wicket...

blackcapsfan

Club Captain
It also would be nice if the tailenders did not bat like middle order batsman. It seems there are no bunnies in this game and you can't really get the tail out cheaply as they usually do in real life. Sure they can wag now and then, but they can't always score runs at the end of an innings. For me when you have the team 6-7 down you really don't feel like you can wrap up the innings as the tail seems to bat with confidence and have no trouble with anything you throw at them. Are there any Chris Martin's in this game?

coolz_hari

International Coach
I have been playing since almost 6 days in PC .I would love to give my detailed review on DBC . By giving review after playing for few years will be not so accurate.
After playing for almost 50 hrs i just want to mention in a single line .
'' DBC 2014 is the best cricket game on planet so far '' .The success of DBC is definitely just because of interaction of Ross & its team. I will come up with full review very soon .
Thank you

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
I've read that many people only bowl and rarely bat, maybe you can try to play more as batsman to "understand" how the batting works in the game.
It's very easy to edge the ball if you have bad timing or play the wrong shot.
I tried to play a 4 day game with Nottinghamshire and Lancashire, I post the screenshot. In the first session they were 46-3, Shahzad took the three wickets, the first two were edges to the wicketkeeper (inside edge and outside edge). After a little was difficult to get edges from the top order,
my impression is that the bowlers still lose speed when they tire (like before the patches), I think the main reason is this. Maybe they should lose some "skill" (swing, aim etc.), not the speed.
At the end of the second session Jimmy Anderson edged the ball to 3 slip but didn't carry.
4LGUqqi.jpg

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
One more thing i would really like, now the patches and release stuff is out the way, is some proper guidance on how to skill and attribute the created problems. Maybe this is still causing some issues re edging, tail-enders batting etc. if @Ross could coincide that with the explanation of how the bowling system works, that would be aces.

Users who are viewing this thread