Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
sd33no.png

Breaking News: Osieck sacked, storms out from the FFA - replacement to come
Lowy sends head coach Holger Osieck packing after a behind-the-doors dispute
2nd of November, 2011

4kisn6.png

Holger fronting the press on the matter

After a year long tenure, today marks the sacking of the now ex-Australia head coach Holger Osieck, leaving the national team in tatters ahead of their Friendly clash against Portugal in just under two weeks.

Recent results over the past year have seen Australia play quite a handful of matches against upper-tier nations, much to the jubilation of the FFA, yet its Holger Osieck who is now paying the price over their defensive shambles in amongst these matches. Among those results were outcomes such as a 2-2 draw against Ghana and Switzerland, 2-1 win over Slovenia and a 6-4 victory against a youthful Germany squad side saw things shaping his way - its the sides defensive operations though that had left Frank Lowy gritting his teeth over the past year. Australia have not yet kept a clean sheet since the 5th of September, last year. The tension was building, not to be blamed on the team, but the manager.

It is this damning fact on top of other boardroom backlashes and selection snags that had Holger Osieck skating on thin ice.

Holger, although refusing to comment on questions asked by reporters in a press meeting outside FFA headquarters in Sydney in which the fiery incident occurred, spoke before the crowded pack in what looked to be an on-the-spot statement. "When I took the job less than a year ago, I knew what I was in for. It wasn't going to be easy but when I saw the talent that this nation had to offer I was quick to realise the task on offer. It has been great even until today for me, I just would've hoped for a more lengthier tenure. This isn't what was promised to me. And for me to have to go in such circumstances is a mess. Good luck to the team in the future, thats all I have to say at the moment.".

Rumours are strife with possible candidates for the top job. With reports of Guus Hiddink coming back to other reputable coaches such as Paul Le Guen, Ruud Gullit and Phillip Cocu, its a headache that FFA chairman Frank Lowy is glad to have. Though candidates such as these as great as they may be, realistically under time frames amongst other things, only Paul Le Guen remains a realistic candidate for the national spot in such a short time.

It has to be said though that Holger Osieck did bring out the best from what was quite a youthful Australian line-up.

More on the story to come.

Users who are viewing this thread