FOOTBALL Football Manager Discussion

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, just busy with other stuff, and although I could probably get through 2 or 3 games a day, not really enough to get through it by the end of February before I go to uni.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Nope, skipped it since I knew I wouldn't have time to play it much. And I've been trying to save up as much money as I can.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Fair enough, I've stayed away, what with it being my final year at uni and absolutely ---- loads of work to be done.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm Newcastle at the moment. After a horrific start, I'm currently 6th, but have to improve.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
well, had my first disappointing season with fulham.

got offered a 50k a week contract at the start, 2nd season in the premiership and I'm already the second highest paid manager in the league.

unfortunately, over the summer I toyed with idea of bringing in more width, signed two wingers for a combined 15.5m and then realised about 4 months in I hate playing with wingers because unless you get the ronaldo's they spend the whole game rushing into scoring positions and firing it 3 miles wide. I should make my money back on one of them but unless some stupid french club decides to cough up 10m for an underwhelming 20 year old I'm in trouble.

my major disappointment was being so rubbish in the cups, we were dumped out the euro cup in the groups, drew man u first up in the captiol one cup and went out 1-0 to wigan in the FA, despite having 24 shots, 15 on target to their 2 wide efforts and a dodgey penalty. that was rather the theme for the second half of the season, we should clench 5th but a comfortable 4th was within our reach had we won the games we dominated.

however, the rest of the signings have worked out well, two young capable full backs and a spanish player that is predictably sublime at passing the ball about. must have put about 10% on to our average possession since he joined in january. so, with a few young players maturing, a new striker coming for free who looks bloody amazing, if can find a midfielder that can contribute some goals next season I think we can crack the top 4 and make a proper assault on a cup. Need to keep hold of our star striker though who man city and paris st germain are hovering about though.

Bevab

Staff Member
Finished 5th after a horror start. Hoping to get into the top 4 this season.

Bevab

Staff Member
Seems like there are not much FM users.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I'm feeling pretty smug right now.

took a gamble and sold a decent striker to pinch some guy off man u they'd been loaning out every season. he was 2nd top scorer in the eredivisie at 20 and 2nd top scorer in the bundesliga at 21 and still they were looking to loan him somewhere. I stepped up a bid and got him without much hassle.

anyway, he started great and then stopped scoring, as did the entire team. from about november to january we didn't win a game, fortunately we'd won the first 4 euro group games so we still qualified, but we did drop to 11th in the league and were dumped out the league cup.

so, come february I'm getting desperate, we've picked up a win or two but only terribley tight 1-0 wins against vastly inferior teams. so I change the shape of the team to a 4-1-2-2-1 and move the man u guy out on the left wing. he has been incredible since. averaging over 8.00 in the 10 games he's played there with 9 goals. it's not even from just open play, he's scored two screaming free kicks, it's just re-invigorated the whole team and we gubbed chelsea 4-0 and beat galatasary 6-0 over two legs in the euro.

the league is a bit of a right off, I'll have to do well to finish 6th again but in the semi final of the FA cup and the quarters of the euro cup. I'd rather like to win a cup this year.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Certainly older CM/FM games had a habit of reevaluating your team around December. This could lead to previously successful tactics needing shuffling or gameplans being altered. Can't imagine they've changed that too much.

----------

Thinking of picking up FM2013 and finally ditching CM01/02 whilst it's half price in the steam sale.

Is the new one worth it? Anyone played the "classic mode?" Does it lend itself to quicker games whilst not sacrificing the elements that made the early CM games so moreish?

Bevab

Staff Member
Yeah, the classic mode is quite good. Only played it once, and only for 2 months (just to test the mode) and it seems pretty good and fast too. The only drawback is selecting only 3 countries though, but the add/remove leagues feature should overcome that difficulty.

Don't know much about earlier CM games, but there's no team talk, no player interaction and a lot of other recent FM things are either toned down (press conferences) or are completely removed.

I found it quite easy to progress weeks in the Classic Mode, particularly in pre-season, which usually takes its own time on the normal mode.

Hope that helps.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
have to say that, as an overall review it's not totally blown me away as a game but it's quite good.

I like little touches such as the tax rates coming into play. I kinda like being able to talk to the player (I had FM10 last so this is new to me) but for the most part it bugs me a bit as it seems it's main purpose is to shout at people for training badly. haven't used the "promote team to another club" yet but that sounds ok. However, I think it's wrong to put it in in place of being able to talk to the press about your own players, it seems weird you can moan about a player from another club being excluded from his national team but not your own players.

the scouting is pretty good and being able to delegate youth development and contract talks if you want is nice. haven't done the latter too much but if I end up at a bigger club I probably would. I like the more varied rates of progression, players can still improve a lot even at 24 and 25, and I also like that the mental attributes seem to keep on rising in to a players late 20s meaning that it's actually worth keeping 34 and 35 year olds about. in FM10 a player rarely got better beyond 22 and by 33 they were in terminal decline and not worth keeping. also like that money seems to have more turnover, after 10 season in older versions everyone had accumulated millions whereas here the bills keep stacking up unless your sensible.

The training is good, it's not so messy as it used to be with every player having his only little box you can customise what he focuses on and the fact you have to set a weekly focus and match preperation. older editions I felt were either incredibly fiddly and overwhelming to set up, then just left alone and never looked at for years. I think you should have to deal with training on a regular basis.

I like that players seem more willing to move about now, asking for transfers, falling out, getting fed up. there's a lot more movement now where in old versions teams like PSV, Ajax, etc used to put massive values on their players and because the players were quite happy you'd get world players of the year playing out their careers merely finishing in the top 3 in france.

however I think manager movement is a little unrealistic, teams just hire and fire randomly, man u haven't finished in the top 4 for about 4 seasons in my game, yet blanc is continually retained on the back of a few domestic cup wins. Things like Moyes moving to athletico madrid and mourinho doing 9 years at madrid don't seem realistic.

the press interviews get tedious just like they did in past FMs since it's been introduced. not sure how they're going to fix it but clicking on one of 5 generic responses over and over again just doesn't work, adding a tone doesn't make it any better.

not to sure about the match engine, I feel players seem really slow to react, also the ball seems to ping off players a lot, I don't think top flight players accidently hit one of their own players when passing to someone and then have the ball ping off them out of control quite as much as they do in FM13. also think the team rarely seems to listen to manager instructions, which is frustrating. It's maybe not bad, but it's not satisfying and the match engine should be one of the bits were you're really enjoying the game.

also I'm pretty hacked off with losing the FA cup final on penalties from 3-0 but that's not the game designs fault.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread