Future is in T20 leagues - Modi

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It's only going to spread if its shown on ESPN in the USA more often (or atleast gets a better mention during Sportscenter where I assume cricket isn't covered at all).

That's the best way to do it in my opinion.

there needs to be banners all over the places. 24/7 commercials with big celebrities. i mean big, not some unknown fools. free opening game or something. a good opening ceremony, not like the one they had today.

they really have to sell it if they want people to show up. they are very narrow minded...

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Modi can go shove that article up whatever hole he fancies.

I don't see him GAF about cricket itself, rather the amount of money he's getting from it....

srikarr12

Club Cricketer
Club over country should happen imo, but those clubs should not only play T20's, by making club/franchise cricket the norm, it would then be a honour to play for your national side if selected.

The only reason the club vs country debate is propping up is because International cricket is way too saturated, if International games were played slightly less often more people and players would respect regardless of the format there are playing in.

P

pcfan123

they gave hint of it. ex Galye, Bravo.

in few years time?

Depends on the money, if club cricket continues to pay significantly more than what the board pay their players, then without a doubt people will leave international for club.

srikarr12

Club Cricketer
Depends on the money, if club cricket continues to pay significantly more than what the board pay their players, then without a doubt people will leave international for club.

Obviously it will happen, but the case is about damage control and the smooth transition into this new era of cricket.

P

pcfan123

Obviously it will happen, but the case is about damage control and the smooth transition into this new era of cricket.

Not for me, for me the ideal scenario would be the boards charging club tournaments a lot of money to "lease" their players and then inturn paying their own players a higher salary than the club fees.

Also would like to see Test match fees be the significant chunk of a cricketers salary. Not going to happen, but I can dream :D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Club over country should happen imo, but those clubs should not only play T20's, by making club/franchise cricket the norm, it would then be a honour to play for your national side if selected.

The only reason the club vs country debate is propping up is because International cricket is way too saturated, if International games were played slightly less often more people and players would respect regardless of the format there are playing in.

Quite true. The load on intl cricket is the problem. When you can earn more for less number of days of work, you are tempted to switch sides. Eventually the ICC either has to reduce intl cricket or the respective boards has to hike player prices.

saisrini80 added 1 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Not for me, for me the ideal scenario would be the boards charging club tournaments a lot of money to "lease" their players and then inturn paying their own players a higher salary than the club fees.

Also would like to see Test match fees be the significant chunk of a cricketers salary. Not going to happen, but I can dream :D

Why cant the board just keep to paying their own players higher salaries instead of trying to twist the arm of the clubs (like IPL, CL, etc)? With the way players might go regarding freelance (a'la Flintoff), how can the boards charge club tournaments money?

P

pcfan123

Why cant the board just keep to paying their own players higher salaries instead of trying to twist the arm of the clubs (like IPL, CL, etc)? With the way players might go regarding freelance (a'la Flintoff), how can the boards charge club tournaments money?

I just feel that the boards deserve money for their players being used in the IPL. The main attraction of the IPL are all the star foreign players who were groomed and trained and brought up by their respective local boards. They deserve some of the credit and some of the captial that is generate from their players.

I agree with your point though, if the boards would just stop being so cheap and pay their players more to begin with, then the IPL dollars would be much less tempting. Its not as if the IPL salaries are ludicrously high when compared to American atheletes. The boards can easily pay the superstars the same amount their IPL clubs are paying them.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Quite true. The load on intl cricket is the problem. When you can earn more for less number of days of work, you are tempted to switch sides. Eventually the ICC either has to reduce intl cricket or the respective boards has to hike player prices.

saisrini80 added 1 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

Still in fairy land I see?

Howsie added 2 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

I just feel that the boards deserve money for their players being used in the IPL. The main attraction of the IPL are all the star foreign players who were groomed and trained and brought up by their respective local boards. They deserve some of the credit and some of the captial that is generate from their players.

I agree with your point though, if the boards would just stop being so cheap and pay their players more to begin with, then the IPL dollars would be much less tempting. Its not as if the IPL salaries are ludicrously high when compared to American atheletes. The boards can easily pay the superstars the same amount their IPL clubs are paying them.

I totally agree with the bolded part, but as for the second paragraph, it's just not possible for the likes of New Zealand, Sri Lanka and the West Indies.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
It is all becoming like Football... Well while they're at it why don't they follow it completely, make it a rule that national duties come before Club Cricket, just like they have in the EPL (Or do they?)

srikarr12

Club Cricketer
It is all becoming like Football... Well while they're at it why don't they follow it completely, make it a rule that national duties come before Club Cricket, just like they have in the EPL (Or do they?)

Its not compulsory, but the players usually kill to represent their country as they play very few internationals and most of the times its gets plenty of coverage. Not only that a successfull footballer not only must achieve domestic glory, but also international glory aka the world cup.

OffCutters

International Coach
Lalit Modi= Tosser.

Lets pay overseas players a heap of money and get them to play for our 'domestic' team! IPL (CL aint bad as actually some actual non- money-whored domestic teams play) can kiss my ass. :sarcasm

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Still in fairy land I see?

Howsie added 2 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

I totally agree with the bolded part, but as for the second paragraph, it's just not possible for the likes of New Zealand, Sri Lanka and the West Indies.

Well then your board has to take steps to increase their financial position. Produce cricketers who can build an attractive image for the country and boost the financial prospects of your board. The Indian board is so rich because India has produced so many superstars who can attract lot of fans to the game.

Do the boards get any money for the players that play in county circuit? Same way, why should IPL pay money to the boards? Once freelancing becomes big, this wont need to be talked about.

saisrini80 added 3 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Simple solution is to find a window for IPL, and talk to the IPL organisers about stipulating a fixed duration for the whole tournament (35 days max). When you start to dictate terms to players, you are bound to see people who would want to cross the fence or make an issue about how tough it is to cross.

Users who are viewing this thread