Gary Kirsten chooses not to renew contract

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
South Africa were planning on world domination, winning the 2013 CT, 2015 WC and much more. But now, the man who played such a huge part in their success and climb up the rankings has chosen not to renew his coaching contract which expires later this year. I reckon this is a massive blow and might dent RSA's chances even though Kirsten is only a coach.
South Africa Cricket News: Gary Kirsten not to renew SA contract | ESPN Cricinfo

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
That is a great news :D

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Just when I thought I would be able to pronounce our coaches name for a while:( We'll remember Gary as the guy who put South Africa where it *cough*should *cough* be

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Gary Kirsten may come back in contention for India job - The Times of India

I would love if this happens but TOI is stupid. The reason he gave for not renewing his contract is that "he wants to be with his family." Why the hell would he come back to India again?

The writer thinks a man cannot sit at home for long enough without a proper full time job. Coaching is not the only thing Kirsten will do all his life. Family is important, only then comes the rest.

Would be great if Kirsten comes back, but I don't think he will.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Perhaps not the best time to question Kirsten, but I don't think he's really done anything truly fantastic with South Africa. He inherited a pretty stacked team. Have any of the players really improved under his watch? To my mind, Kallis, Smith, De Villiers, Amla, Steyn, Morkel were all very good when he arrived. Only Philander can truly say he's improved his game a lot recently, Alviro Peterson as well. As for the Test team's results, they beat England in England last year, easily the team's best achievement under Kirsten. They beat Australia in Aus too but were outplayed for a lot of the series - 1-0 flattered them. Australia also drew 1-1 with SA in SA - relatively embarrassing for them I would have thought. They have done well in dispatching Sri Lanka, Pakistan and New Zealand in Test series though.

In limited overs stuff...since June 5 2011 (when Kirsten began), South Africa's win-loss ratio in ODIs is 1.30, certainly respectable, but lower than England, India, Australia and Pakistan. Similar story in T20Is where their W/L ratio of 1.12 is lower than Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies and England over the same time frame. They bombed out of the only major international tournament held in Kirsten's tenure, the world T20, unable to win a game in the Super 8s stage. They are currently ranked 4 in ODIs and 6 in T20Is.

In summary...I think South Africa will be fine without him, they have too much talent to dip.

Users who are viewing this thread