Gas's Review Of BLIC 07

graham1

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
got game and played online and started a test in single player on test settings, i am very disappointed its just to easy , just as easy as blc 05 , i hate to say this but ea have done a more realistic cricket game with 07,
just played 6 overs a inning online , people will score 120 plus every time after a few goes , its just reminds me of cricket 99 from ea , in being very arcadey so disapointed with this :crying

rudeypooh

Club Captain
The_gas said:
They say, if you own a X1950 you have big balls.

Lol classic stuff! didn't know graphic cards had so much status these days :)

pacers

School Cricketer
stevie said:
Must say I'm very concerned about how easy you seem to be finding the batting. Why can't they have more difficulty levels for goodness sake?! I still think sliders are the way to go, then you can tinker to your hearts content.

The old sliders debate is very interesting. I used to make sliders for the NBA Live series. Obviously the positives that are sometimes you can get the gameplay perfect- or what you perceive to be perfect anyway. The problem I found is that developers get very lazy, create an awful game, and simply say- 'there are sliders, so you can adjust it yourselves'. Some of the latest NBA Live games have been trully awful, and even sliders cannot save the game. Several other sports games I feel rely too heavily on slider creators spending hours of testing, to adjust a game the developers should have sorted themselves.

So my point is, sliders can be cool, and could work for Lara, but I think they become a cop out for developers, who should really be working out the best gameplay settings themselves.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
pacers said:
The old sliders debate is very interesting. I used to make sliders for the NBA Live series. Obviously the positives that are sometimes you can get the gameplay perfect- or what you perceive to be perfect anyway. The problem I found is that developers get very lazy, create an awful game, and simply say- 'there are sliders, so you can adjust it yourselves'. Some of the latest NBA Live games have been trully awful, and even sliders cannot save the game. Several other sports games I feel rely too heavily on slider creators spending hours of testing, to adjust a game the developers should have sorted themselves.

So my point is, sliders can be cool, and could work for Lara, but I think they become a cop out for developers, who should really be working out the best gameplay settings themselves.

I agree with your point that it can be a cop-out for developers, but surely the fact that every gamer is at a different level is a great reason to have sliders in. If they just had sliders for batting difficulty and bowling difficulty it would solve almost all of the problems. A more detailed version would have things like edge likelihood, power variation, seam amount, play-and-miss likelihood.

I suppose it can be done by altering the ability of the batsmen you play as. To be honest, I'm never really going to play as anyone except England, so I can just lower all their stats.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
lazy_chesnut said:
If they just had sliders for batting difficulty and bowling difficulty it would solve almost all of the problems.

I agree with that. It doesn't have to be anything overly complicated as you say. It's something they've used in the ToCA Race Driver series. I know it's a completely different type of game but it does show they have experience with sliders and can implement them effectively.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
stevie said:
I agree with that. It doesn't have to be anything overly complicated as you say. It's something they've used in the ToCA Race Driver series. I know it's a completely different type of game but it does show they have experience with sliders and can implement them effectively.
I doubt the people who developed Race Driver 3 were the same people as the chumps who made BLIC 2007. Race Driver 3 oozes quality, but BLIC 2007 so far seems to ooze unfinished-ness.

It makes me so angry that this game seems to have been buggered up again. You sort of expect it with EA, but with Codemasters when they promise things you actually expect it to happen, but it seems they miss a lot of stuff out.

Though thinking about it, now they have the next-gen model set up - surround sound, improved graphics, and online mode - they can probably spend a lot more time refining the game, to make it a quality product.

It just seems a bit slapdash to me.

pacers

School Cricketer
Yeah, I agree. Actually, of all the games I can think of, BLIC is probably one of the best suited to sliders.

lazy_chesnut said:
It just seems a bit slapdash to me.

Agreed. From what I have seen, it is extremely similar to BLIC05. BLIC05 was a great base for a quality game to be developed, but they dont really seem to have gone too far with the improvements.

But still, I always get my moneys worth from a Brian Lara game, which is why it is one of the only games (along with Pro Evo) that I actually buy these days.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I think it's fairly clear that they spent the majority of the time designing the online aspect, which if it is as smooth as some people say it is early days they will have done a pretty good job as far more impressive games still haven't sorted their online aspect. Your right Lazy, they do seem to now have the majority of aspects in place, so it's mostly refining and tweaking that's needed to really make it quality.

pacers

School Cricketer
One option that should make the game more challenging, without editing, is the ability to turn the bowling marker off. This will be great for facing spinners and most seamers. However, I think the 90mph+ guys (and if Shoaib is 100mph again) will be nearly impossible to play without the marker.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
lazy_chesnut said:
I doubt the people who developed Race Driver 3 were the same people as the chumps who made BLIC 2007. Race Driver 3 oozes quality, but BLIC 2007 so far seems to ooze unfinished-ness.

You make a fair point!

lazy_chesnut said:
It makes me so angry that this game seems to have been buggered up again. You sort of expect it with EA, but with Codemasters when they promise things you actually expect it to happen, but it seems they miss a lot of stuff out.

I understand how you feel, as you've probably seen in my post in the reactions thread on Codies forum.

I doubt it will happen, but I really think if they gave us the opportunity (and some guidance on what does what) to do some tinkering with the AI, and other stuff that effects the gameplay. I don't think we'd fall too far short from a cricket game that everyone could be pleased with, particularly with the chance to keep experimenting with it.

I see you've also asked the question about getting help from then, but on the sound files. Could be worth pushing them a bit this time on stuff like this, although Codies aren't exactly fans of unofficial mods for their games.

tommymac

Club Cricketer
how's the bounce of the ball? do you still have to pitch the ball really full to make sure it doesnt bounce over the wicket, as u did in the demo, is it dependant on the pitch or what? Thanks

Hariz

International Cricketer
stevie said:
Could be worth pushing them a bit this time on stuff like this, although Codies aren't exactly fans of unofficial mods for their games.

Its pretty bad that they dont allow some unofficial mods to be done with this kind of coding. If we were able to modify BLIC files as we can with C2K7, then we would'nt need another BLIC version, perhaps thats the reason why Codies are afraid of allowing a way for unofficial modding. :rolleyes:

ulukai

Club Cricketer
I posted this on the codemasters forum, thought I'll ask it here as well:

even if the AI field placing is crap, how good is the AI at setting totals, and more importantly chasing totals? Even if you take advantage of the field placing and make loads of runs, will the AI go after it sensibly? (assuming you're playing against a decent team like Aus)

simran3

Club Captain
If people with a 1950pro have big ball's , what do i get for a 8800 gts ..Big balloons :)

Users who are viewing this thread