General Cricket Discussion

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Quick question - can you declare in a Limited Overs match? I know no one will want to, but is it legally allowed?

Also, are you allowed to declare in the 4th innings of a FC game even if you haven't scored the runs required? Or declare in the 3rd innings while still behind?

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Quick question - can you declare in a Limited Overs match? I know no one will want to, but is it legally allowed?

Also, are you allowed to declare in the 4th innings of a FC game even if you haven't scored the runs required? Or declare in the 3rd innings while still behind?

Laws of Cricket said:
1. Time of declaration
The captain of the side batting may declare an innings closed, when the ball is dead, at any time during the innings.

I presume you can with regards to the FC game. Not sure about the limited overs question

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Someone tell me if I'm wrong here but I believe it was allowed at some point but due to the way the laws worked in relation to OD matches you had to have the same amount of overs as the other team. So one team for the first overs went hell for leather then declared leaving the other team little chances of getting the runs in the same amount of overs. They got charged with ungentlemenly conduct and the result was overturned. They then changed it.

I could be talking complete codswallop here but I'm sure I remember that occurring.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Someone tell me if I'm wrong here but I believe it was allowed at some point but due to the way the laws worked in relation to OD matches you had to have the same amount of overs as the other team. So one team for the first overs went hell for leather then declared leaving the other team little chances of getting the runs in the same amount of overs. They got charged with ungentlemenly conduct and the result was overturned. They then changed it.

I could be talking complete codswallop here but I'm sure I remember that occurring.

No your not. It was a really famous incident in county cricket, where I think it was Somerset were top of the OD League and the only way they weren't going to win the title was if they were beaten and their NRR took a big hit. So I think they batted for a short period of time, then declared the innings and they went on to win the title because of it. So, no I'm fairly sure after that they changed the rules and you can't declare in an OD game.

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Brain Lara eventually scored 65 thats a pretty handy knock :)

Seems like practice before IPL :D

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I think that is what he is aiming for.

I hope he joins the Mumbai Indians. Tendulkar - Lara FTW

Users who are viewing this thread