General Racing Games

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Online Cricket Games Owned
Has anyone around here heard of these games made by Geoff Crammond? If so, this is the place to talk about it. And all other racing sims which you enjoy!

Last edited:

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I even used to play the original Grand Prix on my 8086 pc!!!!

Best of the series was GP2, I have all the games but hardly played GP4 at all

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
I have GP2,3 and 4 what was the first one like?
I think GP 3 is the best.

GP4 is much too demanding on resorces, no matter what PC you have it runs slow. So, have you updated the game?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Picture from GP1

Attachments

• gpf1.jpg
    gpf1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 163

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
It was 1992, back then that was state of the art!! It was hard to see anything beating it (ever)!!!!!

Used to play it using a keyboard, I didn't get a joystick for my PC until I got GP2, which I played even more. I think GP2 was the most modded game of the series, new graphics, car shapes, tracks etc.. It was the first game I played online (well sort of) We used to run grand prix at around the same time as the real ones, everyone would save there games at the end, send them in along with a short description and we had league tables. I used to enter under the team name KP Nutz!

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
If you know where to go GP3 and GP4 have tonnes of mods, but the good old GP2 was an excellent game for me, kept me busy for hours! Now when I get the urge I play GP3, cause GP4 runs too slowly.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah I know, I modded all versions of the game but don't play it any more, your right about GP4, I don't think it would play smoothly even on a supercomputer!!

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I had GP2. I found after I installed the mods I got massive steering/control problems with no warning and couldn't even fix it with a reinstall. I would nudge the car left and it would swerve right.
My favourite way to win a race was to disable damage and drive backwards round the track taking out every single other car until I was the only one left and automatically won. You could get some pretty good collisions too; I remember snapping Villenueve's car in half!

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Ahh, yes the snapping cars in half accident! You could download a damage editor for GP2, and then let the carnage begin! And at Kev, it is widely known that allthough GP4 is an excellent game, no-one is able to run it properly. You really should play more, I have a 2005 carset, allthough I dont have a Red Bull Racing Cockpit...

gold639

International Coach
I prefer the EA Sports F1 Racing Games.Pity they stopped the series in 2003 :(

I've played GP4,but I find it a bit too easy

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
gold639 said:
I prefer the EA Sports F1 Racing Games.Pity they stopped the series in 2003 :(

I've played GP4,but I find it a bit too easy
What?????????

The EA Sports f1 game sucked big time

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
WHAT???
The EA Sports version isn't as realistic or technically correct as the GP series ever was/has been/will be, plus you could have bought F1 Challenge which is a good game to get mods for. But back on topic, how did you play GP4 and in what way was it easy?

gold639

International Coach
MaxKarter said:
how did you play GP4 and in what way was it easy

Problem in GP4 is,you don't get the sense of speed that you do in the EA sports series.

But I have to admit,the AI in GP4 is better.

I may have been influenced by these 2 reviews:

Grand Prix 4

F1 2002

Now,why do I think GP4 is easy?

To put it simply,its the physics engine.Even at high speeds,you have alot of grip on the car,which is so unrealistic.And then I don't have much control over the car.Even after disabling all the driving aids,it still feels like the computer is driving for me!

I hope there are patches on the net to fix the physics...that might get me to play the game :)

Can you tell me some good sites for mods and patches?

Last edited:

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
gold639 said:
Problem in GP4 is,you don't get the sense of speed that you do in the EA sports series.

But I have to admit,the AI in GP4 is better.

I may have been influenced by these 2 reviews:

Grand Prix 4

F1 2002

Now,why do I think GP4 is easy?

To put it simply,its the physics engine.Even at high speeds,you have alot of grip on the car,which is so unrealistic.And then I don't have much control over the car.Even after disabling all the driving aids,it still feels like the computer is driving for me!

I hope there are patches on the net to fix the physics...that might get me to play the game :)

Can you tell me some good sites for mods and patches?

I dont mean to be hardcore, or anything like that.

GP4 has much tooo much grip in standard un-edited form, and true if you get the correct editiors, patches and update files the game really is enjoyable.

good places to goto are : www.grandprixgames.org www.motorsportfotos.co.uk and there are lots more.

The thing about the computer driving for you, it only speeds up tp 30km/h and does minor steering to try and make the car drive smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread