Gimp a Replacement for Photoshop

sinclair

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Q. Do you have Photoshop?

A. No but I will get the free trial and then I can start making some patchs

Well now there is a new way to make patchs without buying or getting a free trial of Photoshop.
Here is a quick view of what Gimp does

Gimp has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

Gimp is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.

Now you are thinking twice about Photoshop

In this thread I will post tut's on how to use Gimp

I hope I have convinced you to download Gimp or made you think twice about buying or getting a new trial of Photoshop

Download Gimp from here:

SourceForge.net: GTK+ and The GIMP installers for Windows: Downloading ...

Wasn't Quite sure to put the download here or somewhere else please advise me of where to put it

sinclair added 48 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Removing Background in Gimp

Step 1

Click on the lasso tool.

Gimp1.jpg

Step 2

Make image zoomed at around 400% - 800%. Make a close selection around the image

Step 3

Copy the image and paste as new. This will result in a copy of your image without the background.

More Tutrorial's coming soon

Gurjot95

National Board President
Thanks for tutorial but I use photoshop because if my trial get expired I download another version of photoshop and i think it is far better than gimp. Also this should be in C07 forum. Isn't it?

domiw

Club Cricketer
uhhh no

GIMP does exactly about 10% of what photoshop does, and does it with far less control and worse

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
I should have closed the loopholes, 'Its legally free, you know?'. :D

Nothing can beat MS Paint though. Its the perfect tool for advanced users. The only problem is that you have to do the effects and stuff manually pixel-by-pixel. :p

mukund_nadkarni

Club Cricketer
GIMP does exactly about 10% of what photoshop does, and does it with far less control and worse
This is surely an exaggeration. GIMP can do almost everything Photoshop does. Maybe some of the advanced things like those for professional printing is missing. Also some tasks may take more effort to accomplish, some which may be done in a couple of clicks in Photoshop. For those used to Photoshop, the learning curve is a bit frustrating though.

Here are some brushes for GIMP: Project Gimp BC
Lots of them actually!:cheers

domiw

Club Cricketer
GIMP tries to imitate photoshop. it attemps to copy things such as filters. you have less conrol over them and then giv better results

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well even if it tries to copy phothoshop I have no problems. Atleast its doing something, and as Shreyas said, its for free!

I'm installing Ubuntu today so will definitely try gimp out.

Users who are viewing this thread