Glenn Chapple called up by England.

G

Gilchrist

From Cricinfo:
June 7, 2006
Andrew Flintoff has been ruled out of England's one-day squad after being advised to rest for four weeks while he recovers from an ankle injury. Andrew Strauss has been handed the captaincy for the matches against Ireland and Sri Lanka and will lead a squad full of new faces.

Glen Chapple is one of several surprise inclusions in England's one-day squad for the Ireland match and the five-match series against Sri Lanka which starts on June 17 at Lord's. He's one of four untested allrounders in the squad alongside Tim Bresnan, Jamie Dalrymple and Alex Loudon.

Ed Joyce joins his Middlesex teammate Dalrymple in the squad and has been enjoying a consistent county season. He has the chance of facing his former countrymen when England head to Stormont on Tuesday.

Full article here
Good to see, he is an underated cricketer. Lancashire will miss him, I guess Cork and Tom Smth will have to step up.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bresnan yes, I would question Chapple.
He is 32, bit old for me.
Dalrymple I like, he bats bowls and feilds.
Good choice from England.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
4 untested all rounders? Geez what Aus would do for that many untested all rounders. :(
Will be interesting seeing how they go, definitely looks like an experimental team.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
You have Cameron White?
I wish Dilmari Mascarhas was called up he is a good alrounder for Hampshire.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
RoboRocks said:
You have Cameron White?
I wish Dilmari Mascarhas was called up he is a good alrounder for Hampshire.
I'm sure he's as good as Dimitri Mascarenhas, too.

G

Gilchrist

RoboRocks said:
You have Cameron White?
Cameron White? Please. He is not an all rounder. He averages ab out 50 with the ball. And I guess right now that Shane Watson is our one all rounder, and a good young cricketer too. Watch out for Moises Henreques. Me and Aussie1st are big fans of him.

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
Joyce, deserves his chance and will do well.
Bresnan, okay and Darlymple the same.
However, Chappell, is too old and Lewis and Hoggard should've been chosen as they are economical. Also I think Dmitri Mascarenhas should play.

I know you'll say Lewis is old as well, but he is in form, just look at the county bowlers averages and he did well at Trent Bridge. Chappel is not in form so I think he shouldn't get in. What about Panesar or even Broad. In addition, I think Ravinder Bopara should definetely make it and he is young. Muchall and Carberry I rate too.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Gilchrist said:
Cameron White? Please. He is not an all rounder. He averages ab out 50 with the ball. And I guess right now that Shane Watson is our one all rounder, and a good young cricketer too. Watch out for Moises Henreques. Me and Aussie1st are big fans of him.
That gezer that captianed Australia under 19s?
Batting at 3 and bowling at 3 you must be good.
I expect Loudon to play, maybe Bresen.
Joyce should get his chance too.

Last edited:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
DJ Ager said:
Joyce, deserves his chance and will do well.
Bresnan, okay and Darlymple the same.
However, Chappell, is too old and Lewis and Hoggard should've been chosen as they are economical. Also I think Dmitri Mascarenhas should play.

I know you'll say Lewis is old as well, but he is in form, just look at the county bowlers averages and he did well at Trent Bridge. Chappel is not in form so I think he shouldn't get in. What about Panesar or even Broad. In addition, I think Ravinder Bopara should definetely make it and he is young. Muchall and Carberry I rate too.

Chappel is only 2 years older than Lewis, and he should have been in the side long before he passed 30, and as for Hoggard; he is the best swing bowler in the world in tests, but he has never shined in the ODI arena. And as for saying Chappel isn't in form, well that's stupid because he has been in top form for 32 years! :D Seriously though, Chappers more than deserves this chance, it has been long overdue.

DJ Ager

International Cricketer
He deserves his chance, I'd agree, but Lewis has only just got his and been on top form for his whole career, and only got in because of recent amazing form. No offence, it surprises me about Chappel as at the momment he isn't great form, although I aknowledge, like Lewis, he has been a great servant to Lancashire and county cricket.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
How is Chapple not in form?

In the county championship this season, he averages 41 with the bat, and 23 with the ball. In one day cricket, he averages 16 with the ball!

Actually you're right, that's terrible form!

Users who are viewing this thread