Global Warming - Man-made or not ?

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
I thought I'd start a discussion on a pretty interesting topic. Some of you may have seen Channel 4s documentary - The Great Global Swindle (available on the internet). It says that the global warming has nothing to do with industrialisation and is more due to the changes in the sun, etc. This could be a biased representation by Channel 4, or maybe it's an eye opener.

Is this all a swindle - a theory pushed forward by politicians in the developed nations to dwarf the growth of the developed nations? Or is global warming truly man made? What do you think?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was great to finally see a tv programme that gave a different view to the excepted norm. I've read quite a few articles that agree with the programme and I have to say, it makes good sense.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
I believe that carbon dioxide gas caused by carbon emmisions from things such as fossil fuel power plants. Carbon dioxide lets sun rays in but does not let them out, this will heat the Earth up.

Now, I do believe that the Earth is experiencing a natural period of increased carbon dioxide levels. However, I believe that carbon dioxide from fossil fuels (and cars...etc) does not help things.

I also believe that we should look to alternate renewable sources of energy since fossil fuels do pollute the air and do us no good.

Kev said:
I was great to finally see a tv programme that gave a different view to the excepted norm. I've read quite a few articles that agree with the programme and I have to say, it makes good sense.

I do not believe in the point of view that it is a swindle. Simply because of the reason that there is no non philanthropic way to make up such a theory.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I reckon it's a bit of both :p,some of the science in that program was pretty poor though

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
manee said:
I do not believe in the point of view that it is a swindle. Simply because of the reason that there is no non philanthropic way to make up such a theory.
it's a good money maker though isnt it..

Look at fuel duty, congestion charge, increased car tax for larger engines etc etc. Is the money raised used to reduce manmade emissions? No.

FreddieFan

International Coach
I think that although the climate certainly does change over time, it's very difficult to be sure that the current warming is purely natural. And even if it is, if scaremongering as a result causes humans to clean up the world, reducing carbon emmissions and what have you, then it's no bad thing. It might not be us - but then again it might be - so why take the risk?

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
We cause most of the global warming in countries by using cars to much and by using planes too much. Yes we love the stuff but it will have consequences

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Kev said:
Look at fuel duty, congestion charge, increased car tax for larger engines etc etc. Is the money raised used to reduce manmade emissions? No.

Wow, that is a very smart point (seriously).

However, I believe this is merely a syphon off the cause of looking into alternate fuels rather than a whole reason for starting global warming.

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
THE BARMY ARMY said:
We cause most of the global warming in countries by using cars to much and by using planes too much. Yes we love the stuff but it will have consequences
Not necessarily. The temperature decreased for 4 decades since the 1940s, even though industrialisation was rapidly increasing during that period.

My point is, whether it is man made or not, global warming is real. And that will have consequences. Shouldn't we be trying our best to prevent that, even if C02 emissions don't have a huge role to play ?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Percentage of people who think global warming isn't man-made: 45%
Percentage of scientists who think global warming isn't man-made: 1% (and probably working for General Motors)

Frankly I don't think we need everyone to agree its a problem because by the time that's happened we'll have destroyed the planet and there won't be much satisfaction in saying "I told you so".
Clearly we need to slow the rate of Co2 going into the atmosphere whether we're responsible or not (which we are) so I'm happy to see governments adopting whatever means necessary. Massive fuel taxes and air taxes - no problem. Unfortunately vested interests are always going to cry foul; it's just tragic they're doing it over something that has such profound implications for us and our children.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Great post there. It is man made and even if it is not, fuel emissions have other unpleasant effects too. Something needs to be done about it.

The fact that the next general election will be mainly based on "green policies" is a good sign, but for there to be an effective result, world action must be taken (That means West Europe, USA, UK and rapidly industrialising China and India).

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Would you like to quote the source of those figures Colin?

Quite frankly that statement sums up the whole argument, dare to disagree and be ridiculed. Thats not the basis for a sound scientific debate at all. Scientists who disagree with the theory (and it is just that) should be heard as well as those who agree with the current thinking.

For those who didnt see the programme

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/G/great_global_warming_swindle/index.html

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
Exactly. Science improves only if there are skeptics. And I think more than 1% of scientists are against global warming. Still the majority agree that it's man made. My view is that I'm not sure, but becoming more efficient and improving science and technology to reduce emissions can only be good.

Sureshot

Executive member
Well we can't compare anything because we don't know what would be happening if we didn't produce CO2, I believe it has an impact but I don't think it actually causes it all. After all the Sun is far from a constant is it?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Sureshot said:
Well we can't compare anything because we don't know what would be happening if we didn't produce CO2
Close as you can get is look at temperatures from before man existed by means of ice cores etc.

Users who are viewing this thread