Google announces new open-source web browser

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
GOOGLE will launch the first version of its Chrome web browser tomorrow after plans of the launch were accidentally sent early - in the form of a comic book.

Google Chrome is set to be the third contender in a new round of "browser wars", competing with Microsoft's Internet Explorer and its rival Mozilla Firefox.

Chrome is touted to be faster, more stable and more secure than the alternatives and was designed specially for next-generation web content ? such as video, web-based games, chat and internet banking.

Read more here.

I certainly will be taking a look at what google has made, always up for something new.

hmmm sounds cool. I probably wont use it straight away though. Firefox is fine for me atm.

Looks quite good and is fast during start up. Webpage loading times feel about the same, haven't tried the Java stuff but it is missing an ad blocker which will become annoying in the future if I switched to it.

Got it seconds after it was released. I'm neutral about it, thus far. Haven't done any web development, but if it uses Apple's rendering engine then we should be good.

I'm not surprised it's based heavily on Firefox given that it reuses a lot of Mozilla's code.

I think I will start using it after people start making addons for it, which is what makes Firefox so great. Although has this kind of thing already started?

I think I will start using it after people start making addons for it, which is what makes Firefox so great. Although has this kind of thing already started?

No they haven't started addons yet.I will start using this only after service starts.Till then Opera is fine.

Not interested in any beta releases, I've had my stick of removing buggy beta's and demo's from my PC then having them come back and cause problems when the full version is released. But would be interested in looking at it once a stable version is released. Mind you, it'd also have to offer me the same functionality as I get Firefox with all the addons I have installed. If it doesn't have something as good as Adblock plus and Noscript, they've got no chance of tempting me away.

Users who are viewing this thread