Grand Prix-F1

No refuelling. Good or bad?

• Total voters

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well it might help if the Ferrari engineers actually helped him instead of rubbing cheeks with Schumi at every given moment.

msamina

Club Cricketer
themuel1 said:
..... but haven't been accepted yet.

That is correct. There is a commercial agreement that restricts the total number of teams to 12 after 2007. This means if all of the current 11 teams run in 2008, only 1 new team can show up.

The FIA will be doing some screening to figure out who the most eligible contender for that spot is.

edgarisapimp

Club Cricketer
I heard that there is something like 20+ teams going for that spot. And it doesn't seem like all the teams will continue until then (i.e. Super Aguri).

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Well that reminds me why I stopped watching F1 a couple of years ago. A race where despite being clearly slower than not only the guy in second but also the backmarkers MS wins the race because it's impossible to overtake at Imola.
It would be really nice, just for a change, to see cars change position as a result of something other than pit stops.

taimurasad

Club Cricketer
you cant take this victory away from him. MS won it because of his sheer brilliance. I doubt anyone other than him could have kept Alonso out for 50-60% of the race distance with such a troublesome Ferrari. Alonso kept making mistakes where as MS was absolutely brilliant through out the race. Your disappointment gives me an impression that you aren?t a Ferrari fan.

msamina

Club Cricketer
barmyarmy said:
.... but also the backmarkers MS wins the race because it's impossible to overtake at Imola.

Also, the backmarkers :eek: . During any Formula 1 time frame, I don't think a driver who drives slower than the backmarkers can win a race, let alone finish the top ten...

I do agree that some tracks make life very difficult to overtake and such tracks need to be redesigned. But, things have been a lot better in the past few years with so many youngsters coming in and an increased number of competitive cars. Even in Imola last year, MS overtook quite a few people on track.

Last edited:

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
And last year he got stuck behind Alonso for the last 12 odd laps too, and why redesign a track? So many tracks have already been ruined by that, and a tough challenging track that makes passing difficult should stay that way, it emphasises the importance of qulifying well. In fact its the stupid rules put forward by the FIA that makes passing so difficult, so we should actually blame the FIA more than we are already for mostly screwing up this great sport of ours.

MS drove well its a realy pitty that the older tyres slowed him down considerably during the second half of the race since he was setting the pace in the beginning and only JB could keep up with him. Mr Gibson also really ruined JB's race for him with that small but costly error.

msamina

Club Cricketer
Last year, he got stuck behind Alonso because Alonso drove very intelligently slowing Michael enough in the corners that lead to the faster part of the track where overtaking was possible.

In my opinion, most tracks need to allow overtaking. Having a few otherwise is ok. Importance to racing should be more than qualifying and more racing should be on track.

FIA is certainly screwing with the rules. But, in the past couple of years that is one of the reasons why racing has been close.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
msamina said:
In my opinion, most tracks need to allow overtaking. Having a few otherwise is ok. Importance to racing should be more than qualifying and more racing should be on track.

Don't know if it's the case so much with the new circuits on the F1 calendar but it used to be that overtaking was nigh on impossible for the first half of the season and then the tracks in then second half were much better.

Yorkshire_No1

Club Cricketer
msamina said:
I agree. It's a poor circuit to overtake on and it showed when Alonso was eating up Schueys turf but just couldn't get past him. Shame really Alonso deserved it with a better car underneath him

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
barmyarmy said:
Well that reminds me why I stopped watching F1 a couple of years ago. A race where despite being clearly slower than not only the guy in second but also the backmarkers MS wins the race because it's impossible to overtake at Imola.
It would be really nice, just for a change, to see cars change position as a result of something other than pit stops.

What was the last race you saw? Bahrain and Australia were fantastically entertaining, although you may have been in bed when these were on. :p

msamina

Club Cricketer
barmyarmy said:
Don't know if it's the case so much with the new circuits on the F1 calendar but it used to be that overtaking was nigh on impossible for the first half of the season and then the tracks in then second half were much better.

The new tracks are certainly better at allowing overtaking, which is good. But, as I said even on difficult tracks, people are trying to overtake more often. Last year, Suzuka was great. And it is one of the difficult tracks to overtake.

Maxkarter

Battrick Tournament Host
Really a difficult circuit to overtake on shouldn't hamper a driver too much. This is my angle, I race karts, now if I decided that a circuit was difficult to overtake on each time I wouldnt be racing anymore, if you have the will to overtake you will get it right no matter how difficult it may be. Now I do understand that the characteristics of an F1 car make things slightly more different and harder but if the desire is there a pass WILL happen.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
That may sound very nice but in reality it isn't true. It's not just about will power. With F1 cars the level of performance is so high and yet so similar that unless the driver in front makes a mistake you can't force an overtaking manoever.
Even when it was clear that Alonso could brake much later than MS, all Schumi had to do was cover the line into the corner and the chance was gone for another lap.

Users who are viewing this thread