Cricket Academy: Great Teams/Squads - NOT All Time XI or "Era"

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am looking at a Cricket Academy project regarding the best teams for countries.

Note, this is exactly what it says on the tin, a best team (or squad) that played a momentous tour or series. So it would be more like "West Indies 1984" (i.e. the 5-0 "blackwash" against England) rather than "West Indies 1980s"... so the roster might have some not particularly great players (Milton Small, anyone) but are unquestionably a great team.

So I was thinking about this and wondering really for your country, what would be the series you'd nominate that had the best team, and produced a truly historic/timeless result or classic series.

Some initial thoughts for me:
West Indies 1984 (beat ENG 5-0 in Eng)
South Africa 1970 (beat Aus 4-0 in SA)
Australia 1948 ("invincibles", beat Eng 4-1 in Eng) - already in CA/on-disc
England 2005 (beat Aus 2-1 in Eng)

would you have any other suggestions/thoughts? please as above post specific teams and the series they were involved. my preference is for test teams but also appreciate e.g. the Sri Lanka 1996 World Cup winning side would merit consideration...

ultimately i'm looking to create these teams and their opponents in CA, to recreate these games, and maybe have a "face-off" competition or series between the teams.

if you're able to link in the cricinfo page for the series you're talking about that'd be good to.

@BigAntStudios, you've mentioned previously about the possibility of adding new linkable players. If we reached a consensus here on a few squads, would you consider doing that? (saves adding stats when creating and makes it quicker.)

zaff4444

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am looking at a Cricket Academy project regarding the best teams for countries.

Note, this is exactly what it says on the tin, a best team (or squad) that played a momentous tour or series. So it would be more like "West Indies 1984" (i.e. the 5-0 "blackwash" against England) rather than "West Indies 1980s"... so the roster might have some not particularly great players (Milton Small, anyone) but are unquestionably a great team.

So I was thinking about this and wondering really for your country, what would be the series you'd nominate that had the best team, and produced a truly historic/timeless result or classic series.

Some initial thoughts for me:
West Indies 1984 (beat ENG 5-0 in Eng)
South Africa 1970 (beat Aus 4-0 in SA)
Australia 1948 ("invincibles", beat Eng 4-1 in Eng) - already in CA/on-disc
England 2005 (beat Aus 2-1 in Eng)

would you have any other suggestions/thoughts? please as above post specific teams and the series they were involved. my preference is for test teams but also appreciate e.g. the Sri Lanka 1996 World Cup winning side would merit consideration...

ultimately i'm looking to create these teams and their opponents in CA, to recreate these games, and maybe have a "face-off" competition or series between the teams.

if you're able to link in the cricinfo page for the series you're talking about that'd be good to.

@BigAntStudios, you've mentioned previously about the possibility of adding new linkable players. If we reached a consensus here on a few squads, would you consider doing that? (saves adding stats when creating and makes it quicker.)

The pakistan 1992 world cup final vs england.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 16
D

Deleted member 9102

The 2005 Ashes series is the one I'd most like to be able to recreate accurately - hopefully in time we can do that with attention to detail such as each player's correct bats assigned for what they used at the time etc. Hopefully a lot of the bat textures that were made for Cricket 04/05/07 and BLIC 05 could be reused, provided the members who made them are still active.

I had got quite far into creating the squads for both England and Australia for TAOC with all ages, stats and averages correct as of the beginning of the tour (using Cricinfo), but pretty much mid-way through working on it the project seemed to have gone dead so I abandoned it.

There are 2005 England and Australia sides in the Academy already and they seem quite good, but I'd be willing to try to fine-tune them to further improve their accuracy if I think I can. Not putting an ETA on it though as I might be quite busy over the next few weeks.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The 2005 Ashes series is the one I'd most like to be able to recreate accurately - hopefully in time we can do that with attention to detail such as each player's correct bats assigned for what they used at the time etc. Hopefully a lot of the bat textures that were made for Cricket 04/05/07 and BLIC 05 could be reused, provided the members who made them are still active.

I had got quite far into creating the squads for both England and Australia for TAOC with all ages, stats and averages correct as of the beginning of the tour (using Cricinfo), but pretty much mid-way through working on it the project seemed to have gone dead so I abandoned it.

There are 2005 England and Australia sides in the Academy already and they seem quite good, but I'd be willing to try to fine-tune them to further improve their accuracy if I think I can. Not putting an ETA on it though as I might be quite busy over the next few weeks.

Yeah actually it was me who did those. Any improvement happily accepted :)

Rowdoss

Club Captain
I've been meaning to have a crack at The West Indian and Australian sides of the 1960-61 tour.
Great players in both sides(Sobers, Worrell, Kanai, Hall & Benaud, Simpson, Harvey, Davidson)The series also obviously included the tied test.

The Australian public were so taken by the West Indies style of play that the team were fare-welled with a ticker-tape motorcade through Melbourne in front of close to a million people. Which in 1961 was an utterly ridiculous figure.
This series also saw the birth of the Sir Frank Worrell trophy.

EDIT:
West Indies tour of Australia 1960/61 | Cricket news, live scores, fixtures, features and statistics on ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Yeah actually it was me who did those. Any improvement happily accepted :)

I'd like to play with these 2005 teams. If I download a player who has an on-disc counterpart (e.g. Michael Clarke) then will be have Michael Clarke 2014 attributes (i.e. very high) or 2005 attributes (not as good)?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'd like to play with these 2005 teams. If I download a player who has an on-disc counterpart (e.g. Michael Clarke) then will be have Michael Clarke 2014 attributes (i.e. very high) or 2005 attributes (not as good)?

Well i used the same players throughout, so very high... Though theoretically you can always have different versions of the same player by not linking him.

Users who are viewing this thread