Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Group F:
Bangladesh (A2)
Australia (B1)
Sri Lanka (C2)
Pakistan (D1)

This is a tough group. But so is the other.

Sun 16
14:00 local, 12:00 GMT 14th Match, Group F - Australia v Bangladesh
Newlands, Cape Town

Mon 17 Floodlit Match
18:00 local, 16:00 GMT 16th Match, Group F - Pakistan v Sri Lanka
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Tue 18
14:00 local, 12:00 GMT 18th Match, Group F - Australia v Pakistan

Tue 18 Floodlit Match
18:00 local, 16:00 GMT 19th Match, Group F - Bangladesh v Sri Lanka

Thu 20
10:00 local, 08:00 GMT 22nd Match, Group F - Australia v Sri Lanka
Newlands, Cape Town

Thu 20
14:00 local, 12:00 GMT 23rd Match, Group F - Bangladesh v Pakistan

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/twenty20wc/content/series/286109.html?template=schedule

Last edited:

anakwalajinn

Club Cricketer
I am glad we are in this group, if it was the other one it was almost ICC over again...

Insomniac

Title Recipient
I hope we beat Sri Lanka, and then maybe we can get Bangladesh as well. This is a very difficult group, because Bangladesh can no longer be classified as a minnow (atleast in 2020 and ODIs)

Although the Super 8s are not suppouse to have a minnow, but still. Bangladesh are a team to watch for....

Only concern that I have is Australia. Many will argue Zimbabwe beat them, but at the end of the day, Zimbabwe didn't advance ; Australia did.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and the game with Aus will be rained out? :p

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
If our top order bats the way they batted against Scotland and India, Bangladesh will be a challenge for us and Australia and Sri Lanka will wipe the floor with us. We need to make some changes and fast.

Either get rid of Butt or move him down the order. He eats up too many balls and creates pressure for the lower order batsmen. Leave the bowlers alone, possibly not play the new kid against Australia. Move Afridi up the order, its the format he was born for.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Sri Lanka, Australia or Bangladesh have a good chance of advancing.
Can't see Pakistan advancing though, I don't think their a Twenty20 team.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Move Afridi up the order, its the format he was born for.

I agree he is wasted that far down the order. He should open unless the ball is moving around. If he clicks there will be a massive total if not the other batters can recover.

Still don't have much faith in Clark being able to keep the runs down if he is being attacked by Sanath.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Nah, I'm not worried about him facing Jayasuriya; Clark will most likely get him out anyway with his big heaves across the line getting skyed up in the air to a waiting fielder.
I'm more scared of him facing Jayawaradene or Sangakkara.
Same with Johnson.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Some correction to the fixture list in the first post: on Monday 17 September the match is Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, not Pakistan vs Australia.

Thurya

Club Cricketer
This has to be changed. New Zealand should replace Sri Lanka as C2 because SL beat NZL and became top in Group C.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
These T20 rules are damn confusing. There is so much hype about all the excitement of this competition, but no use if the public doesn't know what it's about.

Even till the bowl-out happened, I didn't know exactly what it involved. None of the commentators said that the bowlers have to hit the stump. I assumed it was some kind of bat vs. ball thing...

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I agree he is wasted that far down the order. He should open unless the ball is moving around. If he clicks there will be a massive total if not the other batters can recover.
I just find he has no desire to do things by numbers. By his own admission he goes out there to hit sixes. Not necessarily useless, but teams do win without hitting every single ball over the fence. Few self respecting teams take his crap for very long and even against mediocrity, he is seldom consistent.

Still, he'd be of more use than Salman Butt, who simply doesn't seem to be good enough for the responsibility they keep throwing at him. He may be a skillfull offside player, but bowlers can pin him on his pads. By contrast, most strong legside players are brutal scorers.

Top orders obviously get more important as the game gets shorter; in T20 it is essential to have your best batsmen up the order. Teams with hastily picked or experimental top orders have yet to see them flourish. On the other hand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Australia have enjoyed victories at the hands of their top order batsmen. Of course it is easier for such teams not having to do any guesswork, but I believe the only reason teams like England or Pakistan have so much trouble is that the correct answer is one they are unwilling to commit to.

For Pakistan, barring the obvious omissions, they still have Younus Khan and Shoaib Malik, both experienced at no. 3 and to a lesser extent at opening in ODIs. With Shahid Afridi they are capable of creating a very useful top order. This should also suit Misbah-ul-Haq, who also appears to be in need of a promotion. England also have some obvious and painful omissions, but in a format such as this, it should be obvious that Kevin Pietersen can bat no lower than no. 3; even in ODIs that has been recognised.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
pakistan and australia to advance.

pakistan beat sri lanka and bangladesh easily in the warm ups and i expect it to be no different in the super 8's.

pakistan vs australia will be a damn exciting match though.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Tough group. I am picking Australia and Sri Lanka to progress and Bangladesh to come third. They have played some good cricket in this tournament.(Against the West Indies)

Users who are viewing this thread