Hidden gems - Possible features list

angad

Chairman of Consent
Online Cricket Games Owned
We have been able to work it out.

Oh well....why am I not surprised :p!!!

----------

While we are at this, could you please further clarify if in custom fields we can have fielders positioned anywhere we like or only at some of the pre-defined positions on the field?

I think based on the info revealed from files, it is only pre-fixed positions like mid off, mid on, long off, long on, 1st slip etc., but I kind of prefer that than the totally dynamic field setup!!!! It keeps the game stable in terms of gameplay, while still providing the freedom to move your players in the desired positions!

----------

We have decided for now that our budget is best spent on gameplay than licenses.

A wise decision :D!

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think based on the info revealed from files, it is only pre-fixed positions like mid off, mid on, long off, long on, 1st slip etc., but I kind of prefer that than the totally dynamic field setup!!!! It keeps the game stable in terms of gameplay, while still providing the freedom to move your players in the desired positions!

Ross just said they have been able to work it out! :facepalm

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
<steps up on soap box>
Maybe, if we are very lucky, we will see a day where the Cricket Boards actually see video games as a marketing vehicle for the sport, actually participate in their production and ensure that their sport is represented with quality games that are equal to those of their competitors.

But that is a dream and the reality is that it will be five generations of product before we would get close, there is 10x the Cricket budget spent annually on FIFA. It is a resource issue. We have decided for now that our budget is best spent on gameplay than licenses.

I never mentioned the license. I personally think that once the Be a Pro feature is in and the motion animations reach the fluidity of Fifa (considering RLL2 videos), BA's cricket would easily surpass Fifa's 'FUN' and involvement elements.

According to me, cricket is a far more complex in terms the amount of possibilities. In Fifa your only aim is to pass the ball from your corner to the other but cricket has various sorts of achievements too. The level of involvement one can achieve is more with cricket gaming.

And I say that because, I believe that if other sports are 70%physical and 30%Mental, cricket, if not 50-50 its only more mind oriented. And I think many would agree with this.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Ross just said they have been able to work it out!
There's a difference between total fielding freedom and position based freedom.

While obviously with everything you need to wait until you see it, by being unrestricted, the testing has no bounds - so if you can put a fielder anywhere, you have to test for if every single one of those billions of possible combinations work to try and avoid the stupid exploits that a lot of custom field setting options have had.

If you tie fielders to a broad area based on the defined positions in normal cricket and 'snap' fielders into place (within bounds) you have the best of both imo, enough customisation over just having presets, but not leaving the game wide open for anything and everything.

Some games had a hybrid of these, where positions in the infield were controlled heavily but the outfield was more or less totally free, most of the stupid fielding bugs in games are when you put everyone around the bat and bowl a particular line - that way of doing it avoids that issue.

Choice isn't always good.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
There's a difference between total fielding freedom and position based freedom.

While obviously with everything you need to wait until you see it, by being unrestricted, the testing has no bounds - so if you can put a fielder anywhere, you have to test for if every single one of those billions of possible combinations work to try and avoid the stupid exploits that a lot of custom field setting options have had.

If you tie fielders to a broad area based on the defined positions in normal cricket and 'snap' fielders into place (within bounds) you have the best of both imo, enough customisation over just having presets, but not leaving the game wide open for anything and everything.

Some games had a hybrid of these, where positions in the infield were controlled heavily but the outfield was more or less totally free, most of the stupid fielding bugs in games are when you put everyone around the bat and bowl a particular line - that way of doing it avoids that issue.

Choice isn't always good.

I agree. All I want with the field positions is that to be able to select which fielder goes to field in which position. I could never do that with Ashes 09. Had it in EA 07.

angad

Chairman of Consent
Ross just said they have been able to work it out! :facepalm

He confirmed user field setups....did not say you can move the player anywhere you like on the field. The field positions would most probably be fixed (as has been kind of confirmed by the findings in the cricket academy's archive files)....you can only move your players to those field positions.

:facepalm

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He confirmed user field setups....did not say you can move the player anywhere you like on the field. The field positions would most probably be fixed (as has been kind of confirmed by the findings in the cricket academy's archive files)....you can only move your players to those field positions.

:facepalm

That's not :facepalm

That's :thumbs

Having default positions to choose from reduces chances of exploits plus in IC10 the zillion fielding positions available were more than enough

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Having default positions to choose from reduces chances of exploits plus in IC10 the zillion fielding positions available were more than enough

Couldn't agree more! I would hate to play the game online when most of the folks you come across clog the off-side with weird custom fields, which you will never see in real life, and bowl yorkers wide of off stump.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Couldn't agree more! I would hate to play the game online when most of the folks you come across clog the off-side with weird custom fields, which you will never see in real life, and bowl yorkers wide of off stump.

You gotta be joking. If someone does that, given the feet controls you have, you could easily shimey down to the offside and place the ball to the leg side with delight! :thumbs

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
You gotta be joking. If someone does that, given the feet controls you have, you could easily shimey down to the offside and place the ball to the leg side with delight! :thumbs

If the game's realistic try doing so against pace bowlers like Steyn and Morkel. If you pre-mediate too much and move too far across the stumps expect a straight fuller one on the stumps to keep you honest. I saw what custom fields could do in AC09 and I don't want to experience the same which cuts nearly all your scoring options and makes playing online an exercise in futility.

Last edited:

angad

Chairman of Consent

The :facepalm was for Sibinayagam lol. I already mentioned before that default position thing for manual setup is the way to go as it keeps the gameplay stable while still providing us with some degree of freedom in field settings

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
The :facepalm was for Sibinayagam lol. I already mentioned before that default position thing for manual setup is the way to go as it keeps the gameplay stable while still providing us with some degree of freedom in field settings

:thumbs We are all on the same page then :cheers

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
If the game's realistic try doing so against pace bowlers like Steyn and Morkel. If you pre-mediate too much and move too far across the stumps expect a straight fuller one on the stumps to keep you honest. I saw what custom fields could do in AC09 and I don't want to experience the same which cuts nearly all your scoring options and makes playing online an exercise in futility.

I think BigAnt's batting mechanism can be that realistic.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Phew :thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread