Hints and tips for guitar beginner

Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
btw, i just heard the classical gas song you mentioned and WOW!! its so tasty and boy o boy am i tempted to learn it. but its way out of my league :(

om nom nom :D

I wish I could play guitar as well as you guys...

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
dont exactly remember, but i started it pretty soon...
the main advantage for me is i dont have a tutor. now, am not really sure if thats a good thing but am a pretty fast learner (not boasting)..and classes once a week is just a waste of time. besides, theres so much resource over the internet that if you have an ear for music....you can survive ! :p

That is true, but there are things that I never even would've knew about were it not for my teacher, such as the Blues shuffle and how effective it can be. I have only been having one lesson a month/five weeks, so only had around five so far. I didn't start taking them until the end of January - and before that, I was just bumbling in the dark :)

I recommend people to take lessons at first, even if it is just once a month, just to get you off on the right track. While Youtube is useful, it is no substitute for face to face teaching in my book. :)

Edit: @Dutch - five or six hours in one go? I reckon my fingertips would fall off!

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
my bro has an electric guitar. so, i decided to try it out.

i've played the main riff of "Whole Lotta Love" and the solo.
it was a bit tricky as i wasnt used to the distortion and the high notes.

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

School Cricketer
Brothers in Arms, Sultans of Swing, Money for Nothing... :p

Dire Straits aren't fully blues though, they are more a rock version of blues without the emotional insights, but they sort of fit into that category.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Nothing embarrassing about the Straits, mate - especially Brothers In Arms!!

Anyway, quick update - the changes between barre chords are taking their sweet time to become fluent - but I'm sure they'll come before too long. :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
OK - finally got round to starting fingerpicking today and like everything else with guitar (this time round), I've taken to it like a duck to water! My tutor reckons I have natural ability, but ability isn't enough - you have to know 'people' as well to get somewhere.

On a sidenote, he's going to try and get me a small part in this movie he's working on - probably just a walk-on, but certainly better than nothing! Wish me luck with that, because if that comes off, it could be the start of things. Nothing's guaranteed though and I know how the business works - people don't usually take someone on the music composer's recommendation and most parts are filled through casting agencies. But... you never know. It's about time my luck changed, maybe now is the time. :upray

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
OK - finally got round to starting fingerpicking today and like everything else with guitar (this time round), I've taken to it like a duck to water! My tutor reckons I have natural ability, but ability isn't enough - you have to know 'people' as well to get somewhere.

On a sidenote, he's going to try and get me a small part in this movie he's working on - probably just a walk-on, but certainly better than nothing! Wish me luck with that, because if that comes off, it could be the start of things. Nothing's guaranteed though and I know how the business works - people don't usually take someone on the music composer's recommendation and most parts are filled through casting agencies. But... you never know. It's about time my luck changed, maybe now is the time. :upray

Best of luck! i know first hand how big luck plays a role in this field.

i havent even touched the guitar in weeks, too busy roaming the streets of chennai looking for work. i've gotten a good feedback from a reputed theatre group here. hopefully, something should click real soon!

@MasterBlaster76 - its about time you release a vid.... :p

Simbazz

Chairman of Selectors
Steve, its been a while since I've ventured in here. How's the guitar playing going? Have you hit the wall yet? By wall, I mean the part of your guitar playing where you still need lessons but you're not progressing as quickly as previously.

I've recently took back to the stage (read; small pub gigs) with a friends band as their rhythm guitarist has broke his arm. I'm quite enjoying it, had practise tonight and its nice having fun with a group of musicians again, hoping I can work it around University and not need to pack it in. I've also recently took to trying to pick back up using my acoustic. Its disgracefully been sat in a corner for months, and its now cleaned, new strings and has a whole box of new plectrums sat next to it.

A charity I'm involved in at my local hospital is having a fund-raising day so I'll possibly do an acoustic set if I've got the voice still, but I'm not gunna lie, for the past 3-4 months I've barely spent any time with this type of things!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I don't think I've hit the wall yet, but as I said, changes between barre chords are taking time to become fluent. Fingerpicking is a different story, I reckon at this rate, it'll be fluent within the next few weeks. :)

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Bought a used acoustic guitar a couple of weeks ago. Definitely playing it a lot more than my electric. Just restrung it as well--nothing like a restrung guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread