Hot or Cold?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The abject performance of the West Indies has lead me to wonder the following...

Is it better to be too hot or too cold while playing cricket??

As an Englishman I'll choose too cold. At least you can do things to warm you up, extra jumpers, hand warmers, jumping up and down!

On the minus side its damn hard to catch a cricket ball when you fingers are freezing!

But I'd take that over being too hot any day. Just couldn't see how I could bowl a decent spell, concentrate while batting or even move when I am too hot!

Am I just a stereotypical Englishman or am I right?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I prefer too hot. I love playing cricket in summer. The heat makes me go 'Screw it, I'll just run in, do by best, and if I need to be taken to the hospital after the match, so be it'. When it's cold you can barely catch a thing, and if you remain idle for a while it becomes difficult to warmup.

jordox

International Cricketer
Without a doubt I prefer to be too hot. The heat never really bothers me, I've played cricket in over or around 45 degrees many times and been fine. When you're hot you are okay as long as you put sunscreen on and drink plenty water.

When I am cold, my fingers shut down and my body goes to sleep.

Cricket should never be played in the cold.

That's my view of it.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Too hot for me as well, I hate being cold! I bowled 10 overs on the trot on Sunday on a very warm day. Id much rather be too hot than cold.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Cold obviously. Nice bit of cloud helps my 100 mph away swingers.

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I bowl 120mph, have an average of 113 with bat and captain my club at men's level.

I much prefer to be tto hot. If the captain has any common sense, he'll realise you're struggling and take you off. I'm an offie anyway...that bowls 120mph. Fielding's much easier as well. You're loosened up and those bumps you take on the way down after doing a Colly hurt less.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I bowl 120mph, have an average of 113 with bat and captain my club at men's level.

I much prefer to be tto hot. If the captain has any common sense, he'll realise you're struggling and take you off. I'm an offie anyway...that bowls 120mph. Fielding's much easier as well. You're loosened up and those bumps you take on the way down after doing a Colly hurt less.

the 100 mph ones are when I flight it up and give it some air mate, I call it away swing but really it's drift. 150 is about the stock ball. Battings not my strong point, only got an average of 80 but the Indians still ring me up every day saying I'm so much better than Tendulkar and they'll pay me loads to move there now and play for them in a couple of years.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Playing cricket on a Saturday morning when it's cold is a nightmare. When your batting it is even worse but at least when your fielding you can run around to warm you up.

King Cricket

International Coach
Playing cricket in a hot summer day is like a nightmare. You sweat, you get tired easily, you can't field properly, you frequently want to take fluids- I'm talking about of a "hot" of 37 degrees, man, it's disastrous. Too cold for me anyday of the week. I love the cold. :D There's nothing like playing cricket in a winter morning. Yeah, it has some dis-advantages, but it's a great feeling I tell ya.

BTW, hey Kev, why not create a poll? :cool:

Ari

International Cricketer
Cold here I have always enjoyed colder climates more regardless of what I am doing. When it gets above 25 C you tend to hear all about it. :D

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Too hot. That said, I've never played cricket when it's too cold. But my abhorrence of cold weather in general suggests that I'd prefer hot.

Actually, I've played tape-ball cricket a couple of times when it's been chilly and it wasn't bad. Just run out of breath really quickly and feel like getting rid of the sweats after bowling an over. Catching was obviously easier than a real cricket ball, but still harder than in general.

King Cricket

International Coach
^ I can't possibly have played cricket when it's < 10 degrees, as I live in India. I'm talking about a temperature of 13-14 degrees, it's cold no wonder, but it's pleasant as well.

Users who are viewing this thread