How do career skill points work?

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Apologies as I am sure this has been spoken about before, but I can't trawl through hundreds of pages of megathread as I am too busy playing the game.

So how do skill points work with a career batsman? I understand we have to net to get our skills up, and I keep seeing "off side +1", however I am confused by some things.

1- Why do the gains in skill point not correlate with the shots you have been playing? I play a cover drive and it tells me "on side skill +1"

2- How many skill points equate to increases in a batsman's skill bars?

3- How and why are they earned?

4- Does a player who is say 25 with better skills play noticeably better? In which ways? Fewer nicks? Easier timing?

Thank you

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Apologies as I am sure this has been spoken about before, but I can't trawl through hundreds of pages of megathread as I am too busy playing the game.

So how do skill points work with a career batsman? I understand we have to net to get our skills up, and I keep seeing "off side +1", however I am confused by some things.

1- Why do the gains in skill point not correlate with the shots you have been playing? I play a cover drive and it tells me "on side skill +1"

2- How many skill points equate to increases in a batsman's skill bars?

3- How and why are they earned?

4- Does a player who is say 25 with better skills play noticeably better? In which ways? Fewer nicks? Easier timing?

Thank you

i think it happens like this:

you skill up for each 6 balls you hit in the nets, or survive in the middle. you will get a point based on the majority of shots you've played (well?) in that 6 ball period, not the shot you happen to have played to the 6th ball.

theoretically, the more skill points you get in different areas the better a player should be at performing those skills. as skills go up across areas, so your helmet ranking should go up. and higher ranking players should be better.

tbh, i am not sure that the game reflects skill differences adequately outside of career mode, though i think it gets it better in career. perhaps because at the start the skills are so low in all but your chosen strength, so it really is more difficult to play off the back foot if you've chosen front foot as a strength.

outside of career, i haven't noticed much difference between batting with a high-skilled (in batting) top order player, and a low-skilled (in batting) tail ender, or even a 4 helmet top order batter for say England and a 2 helmet top order batter for Ireland.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That's your problem, you're using England.

Actually I think I have only played as England (current) about twice, All time best a few times, and England worst about 5 times

I generally play as Barbarians, a squad I created.

Bahger

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I have noticed, too, that the awards do not always correspond with the achievement. I get points for back foot after playing off the front and vice versa, although onside and offside awards seem accurate, as do all bowling awards. My theory is that at all but Pro level and up, certain shots are semi-scripted as far as foot movement is concerned. Because I am still at sub-international level in my career (but about to make the leap) I think there is an occasional disconnect between the shot I elect to play and the shot as played. Would anyone care to confirm? I play off both front and back foot -- and recommend this approach very highly -- and have found that the skill points given do not always correspond with the front/back orientation of the shot selected.

Ren

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Have been testing this in career net sessions.

I set the bowling machine to bowl good length, fixed speed and seam only and can hit around 54+ balls as front foot defensive shots and I seem to pick up only straight bat and front foot skill points. Cool so it's not completely random.

When I set short length, fixed speed and seam only I can play about 54+ square cut shots (LH batsman) and I seem to get all back foot, flat bat and offside skill points. Again not completely random.

So there does seem to be some logic in how the skill points are allocated, just not sure what that is because when I play all around the wicket on random lines and lengths is when I have no idea how it works out which skill point to give.

TDP

School Cricketer
Hi guys. In second year as a off spinning bowling all rounder. On the controls for spin bowling it says you can change bowling type... I can't seem to be able to do this? Does anyone know if you unlock it eventually or something? I want to bowl deliveries other than just off break deliveries. Thanks.

ellgieff

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
i think it happens like this:

you skill up for each 6 balls you hit in the nets, or survive in the middle. you will get a point based on the majority of shots you've played (well?) in that 6 ball period, not the shot you happen to have played to the 6th ball.

@HBK619 has said it's a random selection from the six shots you've played.

santo12

School Cricketer
As most of the friends said and as far as i have noticed..

Batting : During the Match:

1) 1 point for every 6 balls and the skill increases based on the well timed shots and incase if u have played few shots in an early timing, then the point is awarded based on the 6 th shot you have played. Even inside edge dismissals on to the stumps have earned me points if it was on the multiples of six balls.

2) Every Boundary gets you 1 point for the best skill u used to play that shot. It depends which skill (timing or placement) was the best to award the point.

3) Every Six gets you 2 points and if the six is hit on the multiples of the 6th ball, then it will 3 points (2+1)

4) If you had a batting practice before the game (nets in career mode), then the skill points are not awarded for every six balls during the game, and you can gain the points only by boundaries and sixers. As i have noticed, this applies only to the Immediate game that is played after the nets. The subsequent games will give you skill points for every six balls within the game.

5) So far i have not noticed a deduction of skill point during the batting.

6) Increased/ full skill means better timing and it does not ensure an invincible batting mode. You can still fall a prey for a loopy full toss like BJ watling or still get caught in the deep like hafeez playing KKR spinners. But your shots and drives will give you better benefits than a zero/low skilled batter.

During the Nets:
1 point for every 6 balls and the skill increases based on the well timed shots and incase if u have played few shots in an early timing, then the point is awarded based on the 6 th shot you have played.

Edges will not be considered as a 'Hit' during the nets and it will be counted as a Missed delivery. Maximum of 10 points can be gained in each net practice.

Bowling : During the Match:

1) 1 point for every 6 balls and the skill increases based on the Perfect / good timed deliveries and incase if u have bowled few deliveries in an early timing, then the point is awarded based on the 6 th ball you have delivered.

2) Every Wicket gets you 3 skill points for that wicket taking delivery type and if the wicket is taken on the multiples of the 6th ball, then it will be 4 points (3+1)

3) Every deliberate / outrageous / legstump line wide or noball will result in reduction of 1 skill point of which ever delivery it was bowled.
i.e . if the wide was a flighted offspin then there will be a -1 for Flight skill.

All these are my observations during the game and it can be horrendously wrong too. But just wanted to share what i came across while playing this game. Please correct me if the above info are wrong ..

Last edited:

ellgieff

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Batting : During the Match:

1) 1 point for every 6 balls and the skill increases based on the well timed shots and incase if u have played few shots in an early timing, then the point is awarded based on the 6 th shot you have played. Even inside edge dismissals on to the stumps have earned me points if it was on the multiples of six balls.

During a match, the point is only awarded if you score a particular amount of runs, depending on the type of match. I'm not certain how many runs you have to score, though - IIRC it's 4 per 6 balls in 4 and 5 day matches.

2) Every Boundary gets you 1 point for the best skill u used to play that shot. It depends which skill (timing or placement) was the best to award the point.

You only get this bonus point for well-hit 4's. The ones that only just make it to the rope don't get the extra points.

4) If you had a batting practice before the game (nets in career mode), then the skill points are not awarded for every six balls during the game, and you can gain the points only by boundaries and sixers. As i have noticed, this applies only to the Immediate game that is played after the nets. The subsequent games will give you skill points for every six balls within the game.

Net practise in career mode doesn't affect whether you get points during the match

During the Nets:
1 point for every 6 balls and the skill increases based on the well timed shots and incase if u have played few shots in an early timing, then the point is awarded based on the 6 th shot you have played.

Edges will not be considered as a 'Hit' during the nets and it will be counted as a Missed delivery. Maximum of 10 points can be gained in each net practice.

1 point for every 6 "hits", not balls - and the points are (again, according to @HBK619 ) awarded for one of the 6 shots randomly

Bowling : During the Match:

1) 1 point for every 6 balls and the skill increases based on the Perfect / good timed deliveries and incase if u have bowled few deliveries in an early timing, then the point is awarded based on the 6 th ball you have delivered.

You _may_ get a point at the end of an over, if you've restricted the batsman to a under a certain number of runs dependent on the match type - IIRC, in a 4-day or test match, you have to give away fewer than 4 runs.

This one I'm not sure about the randomness, though. My right-arm off spinner tended to get a point in off-break if he bowled even one during the over, which may have been because his skill level was high with the delivery, so he was more likely to bowl those ones well.

John Howard

School Cricketer
Just starting playing this game on xbox one, love it to bits !!
In career mode where do i find my players skill points ? can someone tell me please ?

Users who are viewing this thread