How Do You Define 'WIDES'

D

Duncan

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to find out a full definition of a wide:

Right now, i'm pretty sure it's defined as a ball being to wide for the batsman to hit. and there are lines on the pitch to 'help' the umpire decide on wides. however there also are some other factors:

like when you move, it's not counted as a wide (i think this is when you move too much away or towards it). does anyone know the answer to this?

because when i play backyard cricket with my brother, he calls his balls non-wides when they bounce 2 metres wide of me but i move 30cm.

someone plz help me

According to law 25. Wide Ball.

1. Judging a wide

(a) If a bowler bowls a ball, not being a no-ball, the umpire shall adjudge a wide if, according to the definition in (B) below, in his opinion the ball passes wide of the striker where he is standing and would also have passed wide of him in a normal guard position.

(B) The ball will be considered as passing wide of the striker unless it is sufficiently within his reach for him to be able to hit it with his bat my means of a normal cricket stroke.

2. Delivery not a wide

The umpire shall not adjudge a delivery as being a wide:

(a) If the striker, by moving, either

(i) causes the ball to pass wide of him, as defined in 1(B) above, or
(ii) brings the ball sufficiently within his reach to be able to hit it with his bat by means of a normal cricket stroke

(B) If the ball touches the striker's bat or person

Basically, this means that if you move TOWARDS the ball, it is wide only if it is too far away from where you moved to when it passes you, and if you move AWAY from the ball it is wide only if it was too far away from you where you took guard.

Hope this helps!

And sorry for any copyrights I've just broken :D

Users who are viewing this thread