How To Make And Record Music: My Road To Satisfaction!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Great thread I look forward to following it...

My mrs bought me a guitar for my birthday several years back. I never really progressed with the lessons, have it on my bucket list to pick back up!

El Loco

PCPF Mod Chief Superintendent
ENG....
I use as little microphone recording as possible and let everything go via audio interface, thereby unwanted noise is not a problem. however recording percussion and vocals and acoustic guitars directly through microphones can be a problem and i am learning how to set that up to have the optimal space. Luckily I have a number of plugins that help needle out and identify and repair a lot of these kind of problems. Also as what i am doing is very hobby orientated I don't go full out to get it perfect. I guess i have spent somewhere in the region of 5 grand to have decent PC and interface, microphones speakers, software etcetera. the instruments will be another 4 grand or so! Yamaha have just released a new digital workstation called Genos which I am looking at: will set me back 4500 euros!
:eek:
Fair play to you. Hope you get more than your money's worth out of it!

D

Dutch

:eek:
Fair play to you. Hope you get more than your money's worth out it!
Having a worthwhile hobby can be a very important thing in life. I am lucky that spending money on something I love is not a huge problem for me. But you can already do masses of great things for a lot less money than that!!

D

Dutch

So here a few screenshots of my current project in Sonar Platinum: you can customize the screen layout depending on which part of the process you are involved in, for example recording, mixing or mastering. Each one of these processes requires a different emphasis on certain parts of the program and it is great that with a click of a button you can select a layout that corresponds with this....

Desktop Screenshot 2017.10.03 - 12.04.31.71.png

Desktop Screenshot 2017.10.03 - 12.04.52.62.png

Desktop Screenshot 2017.10.03 - 12.05.14.08.png

El Loco

ENG....
So here a few screenshots of my current project in Sonar Platinum: you can customize the screen layout depending on which part of the process you are involved in, for example recording, mixing or mastering. Each one of these processes requires a different emphasis on certain parts of the program and it is great that with a click of a button you can select a layout that corresponds with this....

View attachment 197356

View attachment 197357

View attachment 197358
Is this one just going to consist of live instrument recordings or are you going make use of any plug-ins?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

View attachment 197356

View attachment 197357

View attachment 197358

This is one of these things that I'm sure to a musician looks straight forward but to everyone else looks like alchemy!

D

Dutch

This is one of these things that I'm sure to a musician looks straight forward but to everyone else looks like alchemy!
Yeah but it is with everything: once you learn the "language" it's as straight forward as reading and writing....I shall see if I can help decipher some of what is going on here!

D

Dutch

Is this one just going to consist of live instrument recordings or are you going make use of any plug-ins?
What i wil do or what i would like to do, depending on time and all that, is start a fresh project and go through it step by step and post things here using vids and screenshots and asking for feedback as to which way a certain thing could go and describing the processes, which will help me get to grasp with some of the mysteries out there as some things I find are quite complicated and it takes real training to hear what you are looking for in a mix or recording.....I will use both live instruments and samples to make a song/tune......let's start off by asking what our mood is? What is our theme? What is the mood we want to capture in our piece? What's the setting or situation? Suggestions on a postcard or alternatively post it in the thread below! :)

El Loco

ENG....
Anything with a thumping bassline is my cup a tea :p :p

D

Dutch

What you are seeing in the screenshots Dave are soundwaves created by recording sounds via the computer into the recording software.....the different coloured wave forms......these wave forms are recorded separately and even though they are placed one under each other they all sound in the same piece of music...when you listen to a piece of music on the radio or whatever you have no idea when each part or where each part has been recorded or how many takes it took to record that certain part.....so you hear a tambourine playing on a song: that tambourine could have been added weeks after the song itself was recorded and perhaps in a totally different location....its a puzzle that is chopped and cut and enhanced and flavoured, tweaking, cutting, adding, copying and pasting and modulating until you have the complete song or piece of music. It is at first a little disappointing to learn that a lot of what is done in music is actually all very "fake"......the great engineers make all those different pieces flow together in a harmonious and consistent way so that it sounds as a whole to the listener.

Once you have your sounds in your software you can now basically do anything you like with it.......its like a piece of furniture that you can change and morph and make smaller, bigger, louder, quieter....anything!

D

Dutch

Desktop Screenshot 2017.10.03 - 21.38.17.83.png

Project El Loco's Driving Bass!

So I have started a new project just to kick things off and show a few steps: in this film you see the drum track and a string section added together: really as place holders just to kick things off. Nothing has been enhanced: just the pure midi samples of the strings and drums without EQ or mixing or anything else:
The screenshot shows the whole thing as it is at the mo....we will need to do a lot more to get @El Loco feet a-tappin'!

As you will hear in the audio file it sounds quite soft: this is because the dry recording is recorded at a relative low level so that you have lots of room to play with to enhance the sound: if the volume at the base recording is too loud it will start distorting when you start enhancing. This space between the original recording and what actually comes out of your radio is called "headspace", an empty space as it were where you can comfortably play and modulate and enhance the sound without it going "in the red".

One of the hardest things to really learn is to have patience...build on the sound, not try and have it "there" in one go....

As we go through this process we will hear the sound changing and becoming louder and at the same time become more and more embedded in each other.

Attachments

• El Loco's Driving Bass.wav
    25.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:

El Loco

ENG....
Kinda reminds me of the strings from Viva La vida! I've got my trusty little subwoofer driver next to me I want the whole table shaking mate :p
Can't wait for you to add more depth to it, interested to see how this develops.

D

Dutch

Kinda reminds me of the strings from Viva La vida! I've got my trusty little subwoofer driver next to me I want the whole table shaking mate :p
Can't wait for you to add more depth to it, interested to see how this develops.
Oh we gonna be a shakin'!

D

Dutch

So now we have added some bass, guitar and piano.....no enhancements yet, just the different musical instruments.....
Desktop Screenshot 2017.10.03 - 22.36.48.03.png[DOUBLEPOST=1507063282][/DOUBLEPOST]As we can hear the guitar is somewhat drowned out by the piano which needs to be more in mix, more in the whole as it were....

Attachments

• El Loco's Driving Bass2.wav
    25.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread