Problem: How to play and score runs off deliveries way outside off?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Folks, need some tips on how to play and score runs when the bowler starts bowling way off to the off side. I was playing in career mode and managed to reach 170 when suddenly the AI off spinner started bowling way outside off. I tried all the shots I could but simply couldn't reach the deliveries. I changed my stance and started batting as far to the off stump as the game allows and tried all sorts of shots to the off - cut, cover drive, late cut etc. but I missed nearly all of the deliveries. The over went on for 15 deliveries with 9 wides and not a single run scored off the bat.

After a couple of overs even the AI medium pacer started bowling the same way and it was the first time I had seen an AI pacer bowl in this manner. Again I couldn't do much and in the next over when the off spinner continued in the same fashion, I tried to play a lofted late cut with L2 pressed and was out stumped! I have never encountered such a scenario in the game before but to be fair I had never reached 170 odd in 2nd innings of a FC match either. Would really appreciate it if you can share some tips on how to score runs off against such deliveries in case I encounter similar bowling in the future.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
interesting. not has such a scenario myself. my personal advice for FC would be to wait it out if possible (i.e. you're not in urgent need of quick runs) with plenty of leaves. if you're not able to reach the ball with normal shots i'm not sure else what you can do.

never had such sustained wide outside off before but when i've had similar tactics before i found the leaves got them bowling straighter quite quickly

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
interesting. not has such a scenario myself. my personal advice for FC would be to wait it out if possible (i.e. you're not in urgent need of quick runs) with plenty of leaves. if you're not able to reach the ball with normal shots i'm not sure else what you can do.

never had such sustained wide outside off before but when i've had similar tactics before i found the leaves got them bowling straighter quite quickly

Faced such a scenario first time as well. Till now I had an odd over, usually from a left arm spinner, bowled outside off but never from an off spinner or a medium pacer. Maybe it was due to the fact it was 2nd innings of the match and I was approaching double ton and my team (Yorkshire) was already 600 runs ahead in the first session of the 4th day. I wanted to keep on batting as I was close to Test selection and after the match my selection status did change to "Good Chance" so overall the innings & match was a success even though Yorkshire had to settle for a draw :D

Edit: By the way this scenario did lead me to think of an online tactic. Load up on the off side and bowl full deliveries outside off and the batting side would barely be able to score. I wish the game had a shot such as square drive as I could have used it in the situation.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
For that kind of a delivery use backfoot shots...

- Place the backfoot at the off stump line, place on mid stump line if not very wide...
-The batsman slides a bit to the off stump line
-Play the cut shot , if not use the slog cut shot which works for me..
-Trying to play square is very difficult if the ball is full and wide [cut shot is the best]
-If on a short or short on good length Square cut is perfect including square slog shot..
-Try placing the joystick at 45 degrees for cut as you have chances of getting an edge if you play them very fine.

Hope this is helpful...:D

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
For that kind of a delivery use backfoot shots...

- Place the backfoot at the off stump line
-The batsman slides a bit to the off stump line
-Play the cut shot , if not use the slog cut shot which works for me..
-Trying to play square is very difficult if the ball is full and wide [cut shot is the best]
-If on a short or short on good length Square cut is perfect including square slog shot..
-Try placing the joystick at 45 degrees for cut as you have chances of getting an edge if you play them very fine.

Hope this is helpful...:D

I went for front foot shots as the deliveries were mostly full. Can you cut fuller deliveries off the back foot as well? And by 45 degrees I think you mean 315 degrees, i.e. 45 degree in the 4th quadrant and not the first since 45 degree is what I use to play a cover drive.

Edit: Also, is there a way to practice such deliveries in the nets or 'Practice Match' mode?

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I went for front foot shots as the deliveries were mostly full. Can you cut fuller deliveries off the back foot as well? And by 45 degrees I think you mean 315 degrees, i.e. 45 degree in the 4th quadrant and not the first since 45 degree is what I use to play a cover drive.

Edit: Also, is there a way to practice such deliveries in the nets or 'Practice Match' mode?
Front foot never allows you to play the cut ,back foot is the only way which is very effective in even gaining a boundary if no fielder is placed there....Dont know whether there's a way to practice this in nets...Yes, right about the degree mentioned by you, the cut shot 45degrees....

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Front foot never allows you to play the cut ,back foot is the only way which is very effective in even gaining a boundary if no fielder is placed there....Dont know whether there's a way to practice this in nets...Yes, right about the degree mentioned by you, the cut shot 45degrees....

Ok. So I take stance as close to the off stump as possible and play towards 3rd man off the back foot. Will this approach work for full pitched deliveries as well coz most of the deliveries bowled by the off spinner were on the fuller side.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Ok. So I take stance as close to the off stump as possible and play towards 3rd man off the back foot. Will this approach work for full pitched deliveries as well coz most of the deliveries bowled by the off spinner were on the fuller side.
Take mid stump stance and he angle of backfoot should be on the off stump line i.e LAS to somewhere between 11 and 12'o clock to get to the off tump line to play the shot...It is actually something like Hamish Amla's batting start wide then take mid stump stance play the shot effectively...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Take mid stump stance and he angle of backfoot should be on the off stump line i.e LAS to somewhere between 11 and 12'o clock to get to the off tump line to play the shot...It is actually something like Hamish Amla's batting start wide then take mid stump stance play the shot effectively...

Ok I'm confused now. If left stick is between 11 and 12'0 clock, wouldn't I be playing a front foot shot with my feet going towards mid on?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Oh sorry the reverse...

So the left stick is between 5 and 6'o clock and the right stick is aimed towards 3rd man. Will give it a shot next time I face similar bowling and see if I can play fuller deliveries outside off.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
You could try setting up the bowling marker in the nets and try hitting different shots to see what works.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
You could try setting up the bowling marker in the nets and try hitting different shots to see what works.

Thanks! Never tried that option and will give it a go.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
So the left stick is between 5 and 6'o clock and the right stick is aimed towards 3rd man. Will give it a shot next time I face similar bowling and see if I can play fuller deliveries outside off.
Yeah right and try that net with pitch marker...:)

Users who are viewing this thread