'I don't rate India a long-term No.1'

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Chappel was more referring to how no side challenged for the number one ranking spot. Of course we were going to have a tough time in India. If we played at our peak in Australia we would have beaten them easily.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
We probably would have in Australia, at our peak.

would of, should of, could of...

beyond the one played at the turn of the century, the longest one back, you never managed to prevent them winning a test in all the series played in the 00s. the most comprhensive beating any side dished out was the one in 2008 that india handed australia.

for the 00s, each side won 7 tests each (2 of the 00/99 series were played in the 90s) so, whilst I agree the aussies were the clear no.1s the whole time and india did themselves in by being crap other places, they raised their game against australia to a challenging level.

Last edited:

nikhil_99

International Coach
Yes, its true, India really dosent have two 'good fast' bowlers, who can bowl and take wickets on any wicket and in any condition, but India have good battign line up and they are playing and getting, runs,also i feel India is along with SA and Aus, these teams really doing well in ODI's for last 12-18 months...

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, its true, India really dosent have two 'good fast' bowlers, who can bowl and take wickets on any wicket and in any condition, but India have good battign line up and they are playing and getting, runs,also i feel India is along with SA and Aus, these teams really doing well in ODI's for last 12-18 months...

I think this is about tests not ODIs. Zaheer Khan is the only bowler I would really want in my team. He is a good bowler but he doesn't have any other pace bowler to support him. Sreesanth made his comeback but got hurt so I'm not sure what he can do. His test will come against the Safers.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think this is about tests not ODIs. Zaheer Khan is the only bowler I would really want in my team. He is a good bowler but he doesn't have any other pace bowler to support him. Sreesanth made his comeback but got hurt so I'm not sure what he can do. His test will come against the Safers.

Zaheer is very good on the pitches which provide some swing or he more rely on air swing as like most Indian bowlers. India must try some young legs,they may find a great bowler.

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
Zaheer is very good on the pitches which provide some swing or he more rely on air swing as like most Indian bowlers. India must try some young legs,they may find a great bowler.

And which bowler in today's world doesnt rely on swing?

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
would of, should of, could of...

beyond the one played at the turn of the century, the longest one back, you never managed to prevent them winning a test in all the series played in the 00s. the most comprhensive beating any side dished out was the one in 2008 that india handed australia.

for the 00s, each side won 7 tests each (2 of the 00/99 series were played in the 90s) so, whilst I agree the aussies were the clear no.1s the whole time and india did themselves in by being crap other places, they raised their game against australia to a challenging level.

Do you think we would have drawn 1-1 at home if we had Shane Warne and Mcgrath at our peak? Take Waqar younis and Wasim Akram out of Pakistan's 90s side and they are half the side they are. I do admit they challenged us though at home, I never said they didn't.

The series in 2004 we were 2-0 up. They won the dead rubber but it's a dead rubber...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Young legs is all BS. Most of our best fast bowlers are when they are 24 yrs or more (Kapil Dev, Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan). The young legs might come in and turn in that odd great performance or two, but if you are looking for a fast bowler with consistency, we got to get fast bowlers who are above 24 or more. Thats what Venkatesh Prasad also said while he was leaving the bowling coach spot.

Ishant needs to keep working on his game in domestic circuit and comeback after a few years (he is just 21-22 now). Maybe he will come off better.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors

Zak is fine, he gets enough swing even on pitches that arent made for fast bowlers. He has the ability to bowl the ball that moves into the left hander and away from the righty after it pitches, and he can bowl it almost at will. In my books he is a sure thing for the current World Test XI.

srikarr12

Club Cricketer
Who cares if you cant sustain being no 1. Look at pakistan they have a good bowling line up - but can they win games? No.

Let the ICC rankings decide who stays at the top and let mr. chappal blab all he wants.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Who cares if you cant sustain being no 1. Look at pakistan they have a good bowling line up - but can they win games? No.
Might have something to do with their weak batting lineup don't you think?
In a cricket match you need to take 20 wickets to win, and because Pakistan's batting is weak the other teams take those 20 wickets for much less runs. So no matter how good Pakistan's bowling is they will struggle to defend a low score.
India has a really good batting lineup so they don't run a risk of losing tests as much because they can post big scores.

Users who are viewing this thread