IC10 playtest @ Codemasters - 4 June

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
You see the pitch point at the very last moment. Just before the bowler releases the ball. I think the time at which it appears is based on the batsman's judgement rating.

Can't say I noticed that with the HUD turned off...Maybe that is because I'm naturally looking at the bowlers hand rather than the pitch?

Play-test review:

Started off with a beer in their pub and a massive burger from their BBQ (not common place, I should add. ;))

On to the game...

We've all heard about the action cam and many of the critics are "It's only a camera." I tell you what, this action cam transforms the game. Not only is batting very immersive but it adds a new dimension to bowling in a cricket game, it makes it very difficult to land the ball in the same spot, more on this with the HUD later.

When you are running the action cam stays with the batsman, so you are watching the batsman run down the pitch with the camera focused on the ball, you can switch your view with the shoulder buttons so that you look down to the crease you are running to, or to your batting partner.

Bowling has a new twist, you have to hold the analog sticks in place to keep the ball pitching at x point, which makes yorkers quite difficult. Though they were quite easy in our 2-player cam as it only works with broadcast cam, for obvious reasons. I played New Zealand in a T20 on Normal and got hit for 170, it's not easy.

HUD - You have an option to turn this off, which means you see no bowling reticule, swing or timing meter. When I turned this off, I hated it, it was so difficult. Then I worked with it a bit, I cannot give this option enough credit. The hardcore players will love it, by love it, I mean love it. It's you against the bowler and it feels fantastic in action cam, this will be the way to play it.

Customisation - Much more in depth than AC'09, I remember a figure of 300 items, might have been 400. I didn't look in to it in much depth as it doesn't really interest me, but it looks better and it is certainly bigger.

Tournaments - They showed us the options for these and it looks like there is a lot of depth of gameplay in these. Fully customisable or set tournaments, your choice.

The AI seemed good, I didn't have them chasing a total at any point but they seemed good when setting a total, and that was on normal.

The edges were good, thick edges tended to go down or squirt out to gully area, thin edges carrying through nicely. I didn't find any exploits like the off-spinner one in AC'09, the game felt quite solid. The fielders felt a bit slow at times, but fast at other times. But with the action cam, running is very difficult and not as simple as you think.

Don't undervalue something that sounds as simple as an action cam, it turns a cricket game in to something we've not seen before. I thoroughly enjoyed playing IC'10 yesterday. I had a grin on most of the day.

Lastly, a big thanks to Andy, Ian and the whole of Codemasters for yesterday and their continuing support of us and the whole community. Nice bunch of guys and an impressive set of studios. :)

---------

To answer some questions I've seen.

I saw Morgan in the squad, can't comment on Lumb or Kieswetter, I didn't really look for them.

Spinners - I didn't notice the spinners getting more tonked than the seamers, but I think that was resolved in the patch for AC'09. It felt well balanced overall.

Eng & Aus players are not editable.

D

Dutch

Thanks Sureshot. Nice summing up and some good enthusiasm from you. For someone like you, who has played a lot of these games, it is very promising to hear your enthusiasm!

jaynffc

School Cricketer
sureshot any difference in sound or atmosphere?
any video's of yesterdays play tests?

Sureshot

Executive member
No videos, the atmosphere is created by the action cam. Without trying to sound like a cliche, it's like you are in the game, particularly when batting and especially with the HUD off.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Sureshot, only one question.
Is the no ball problem fixed.
Its the number one annoying thing
for me in ashes 2009. Thanks.:)

Brook

Club Captain
Are edges still only timing related?
Do conditions affect proceedings?

srk121

International Coach
Few Questions:

1. Runt Bug has that been resolved?

2. Is Stat Tracking Available?

3. What tournament are available?

awaiting response thanks :)

Sureshot

Executive member
Sureshot, only one question.
Is the no ball problem fixed.
Its the number one annoying thing
for me in ashes 2009. Thanks.:)

I can't actually remember what the no-ball problem was. Excessive no-balls, wasn't it? I can't say there was.

lonewolf - I don't know, though rlfan might have asked that, I can't remember.

Brook - Yes to both, I think. I didn't notice edges from poor shot selection but with good timing, can't say I was looking though.

Mohamed -

1) I didn't notice any AI runouts, the running is conservative.
2) I didn't see any, but then it was a brief play-test and from the games I was playing, there'd be no need for stat tracking.
3) T20 World Cup, ODI World Cup, Champions Trophy, completely custom tournaments and an unofficial IPL type tournament. It's quite in-depth.

Donko1982

Banned
I can't actually remember what the no-ball problem was. Excessive no-balls, wasn't it? I can't say there was.

lonewolf - I don't know, though rlfan might have asked that, I can't remember.

Brook - Yes to both, I think. I didn't notice edges from poor shot selection but with good timing, can't say I was looking though.

Mohamed -

1) I didn't notice any AI runouts, the running is conservative.
2) I didn't see any, but then it was a brief play-test and from the games I was playing, there'd be no need for stat tracking.
3) T20 World Cup, ODI World Cup, Champions Trophy, completely custom tournaments and an unofficial IPL type tournament. It's quite in-depth.

IPL does this include a auctions as it is in depth

does the game have more indian pitches for this

will all the pitches have a night mode

did you see any custom teams if yes what are the jerseys & names like

Gone4aDuck

International Coach
I dont think this has been asked before. But did anyone notice if you can actually be caught off the gloves from a bouncer this time?
Also, im guessing there's no online save option?
And whilst i remember, is there any chance of maybee seeing the odd bye or leg bye in a match?! Cant say i ever had an off the pad boundry for 4 leg byes, or a wicket keeper missing the ball and getting 4 byes. Im serious by the way! Did anyone else have the same? I really dont think i ever got any extras other than wides or no balls.

Last edited:

srk121

International Coach
anything changed in terms of catching system? Loved it the way it was. i am sure Action Cam would make huge difference :).....

Animation any changes to them? can you still hit the backfoot lofted shots?

any new bowling action aparat from shoaib akhtar?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Sureshot, Irfan thanks for the info. Have three questions pertaining to the game and would really appreciate it if you can answer the same...

1. Line and length - Has line & length in IC10 been rectified? In AC09 good line & length was a half-volley or a full pitched delivery on or outside off. Hopefully now good length is closer to 3/4th length of the pitch, i.e. when the ball pitches on 3/4th length it should hit the top of stumps

2. Bowling marker or HUD off gameplay - Very interested to know what is the timing for playing shots with HUD off. Based on AC09's timing mechanism you need to play a shot as soon as bowler lets the ball go so the batsman will not have enough time to judge line & length and play a shot. Thus, unless the timing mechanism in IC10 is tweaked a bit (batsman to play a shot when the ball hits the pitch and not as soon as the bowler lets the ball go), it seems the only way to time the shot is to play a pre-determined shot which is not what cricket is all about. Pls let us know how much time you get before you play the shot and does it force you to play pre-determined shots a bit?

3. Power stick - How useful is this feature to control power of the shot? Is there any relation between power of the shot and timing? i.e. more powerful the shot, smaller the timing window and vice-versa thus giving you a better chance to score 1s and 2s by playing less powerful shots.

Looking forward to your responses :)

rlfan82

Club Cricketer
can u plz confirm if HUD off is available online i know u did not play online but if u asked some1 from codies abt that??

Details about online were sketchy at best, but I did ask.

I am told that HUd off is available online is is likely to be a setting before the game starts (both players?)

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Wow. Sureshot's review is very encouraging. It has got me pumped up for the game or what? Thanks for sharing the info mate.
Now my question is regarding the line and length? What is the line and length that is ought to be the good length ball in this game?

Users who are viewing this thread