Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Short Leg

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
2nd Castle Lager Test Match
The Wanderers, Johannesburg
South Africa Vs Australia

Due to bad planning by myself I forgot my bowling line-up preview at the start of the innings so it?s better late then never I guess.

Brett Lee

Coming off the back of arguably his best test match performance to date and spearheading the attack. Lee one of the worlds most feared fast bowlers will take the new ball for Australia and look to make early inroads. Going for just 20 runs per wicket this man will be a handful for the South African?s.

Jason Gillespie

Dizzy is back after a prolonged absence from the test arena following the forgettable ashes tour. Without the mullet but still with the ability to swing the ball both ways the South Africans will be looking to get through the first spell from the openers.

Stuart Clark

Not to be taken lightly although with just 3 test wickets the South African?s have to see him as the man to go after because there aren?t to many other options. Clark brings steady line and length to the Australian attack making him the perfect man to tigh up the runs in a pressure situation going for just 2.48 an over.

Shane Warne

There is nothing you can say about Shane Warne that hasn?t been said already. The tournaments best spinner will cause problems later in this game when it starts to turn. He will be tipped to bowl a lot of overs especially to his new bunny Ashwell Prince.

Cricket_60

International Coach
Good early breakthrough for Gillespie. I am expecting to see a double hundred from Dizzy Short Leg :D

Short Leg

International Cricketer
Top Order Answers Overdue Call

After the early departure of there captain De Villiers and Gibbs set about putting on a show for the locals and that?s just what the did. It took a beauty from Brett Lee to claim the wicket of De Villiers and break the partnership which was causing concern. A terrific display of swing bowling from Lee as he bags his first by hitting the woodwork.

It?s up to the best batsman in South Africa Jacques Kallis to pick up were De Villiers left off in his 82 run partnership with Gibbs who is middling every ball at the moment and scoring all around the ground. A very good start for the hosts here who are finally answering the call that has been ringing for a very long time.

South Africa 2/86
12:40pm - Day 1

24 overs

De Villiers 36(69)
Gibbs 44(66)*

Lee 1/20
Gillespie 1/24
Clark 0/29
Warne 0/13

Short Leg

International Cricketer
Gibbs In Good Touch At Lunch

A welcome return to form for Herschelle Gibbs as he was the first man of the 2nd test to reach 50. Only half the work is done for the South Africa as he now?s looks towards three figures in this kind of touch.

The Gibbs milestone was followed 4 balls later by the removing of the bails and lunch on the first day. You can see by the way South Africa have gone about there batting that they are anything but beaten in this series and it will take a special effort from Australia in the 2nd session to get rid of the country?s two best batsman.

South Africa 2/99
Lunch - Day 1

29 overs

Gibbs 50(74)*
Kallis 7(23)*

Lee 1/27
Gillespie 1/24
Clark 0/29
Warne 0/19

Short Leg

International Cricketer
Kallis Has All His Christmases At Once

It proved to be Jacques Kallis lucky day as he was given not out from a very close call trying to sweep the Shane Warne slider. The decision from umpire Billy Bowden prompted a massive overreaction from Ricky Ponting who spent the next few overs arguing the call which he felt was inaccurate. Ponting will have to be careful if he doesn?t want to find himself questioned y the match referee.

Billy Bowden gives the benefit to Kallis and Ponting is not impressed​

The tension really boiled over when Kallis was then dropped by Stuart Clark. The skipper had his head in his hands after watching Clark drop an absolute soda. It?s now on Kallis to make the most of his chances and make the Australians pay for missed opportunities.

Clark drop's a dolly and Kallis just laughs it off

As the partnership reached 98 Kallis performed his third stupid act lofting an on drive down the ground only to be caught on the fence by Gillespie. Stuart Clark get?s the wicket after Ponting brought him on telling him ?You dropped him. You bowl to him?.The Australians can breath a sigh of relief now with Kallis in the shed.

Kallis pushes his luck to far and is out caught on the rope

Ashwell Prince comes to the crease now with the home side in a strong position and ontop but Shane Warne might not be to far away.

South Africa 3/184
3:13pm - Day 1

51 overs

Gibbs 93(120)*
Kallis 45(107)

Lee 1/57
Gillespie 1/52
Clark 1/36
Warne 0/38

Short Leg

International Cricketer
Warne With Prince On A String

With Prince the new man in Shane Warne wasn?t far behind and brought on by Ponting in the next over. Warne delivering from around the wicket and trying to set up his new Daryl like he did in the first test. I didn?t take long either as Prince edged and Hayden did the rest at slip. Another big breakthrough for the tourists and Warne shows that he has Ashwell under a spell.

Prince is helpless after getting the edge

What an exhibition of spin bowling from Warne as Australia is now right back in this one but with Gibbs still attacking and reaching three figures this one can still go either way. Rudolph is the new man in and has struggled against this Australian attack. He will need a few here as the last of the recognized batsman and with all four Australians with 1 in the wickets column.

South Africa 4/187
3:26pm - Day 1

54 overs

Gibbs 95(124)*
Prince 1(12)

Lee 1/57
Gillespie 1/54
Clark 1/36
Warne 1/39

Short Leg

International Cricketer
Gibbs Stands Tall

Herschelle Gibbs stands in the middle with bat raised thanking this Johannesburg crowd for their support upon reaching his hundred. Gibbs becomes the first South African to score a hundred in this test series and what a great time for it to happen. The question now is can he go on with it and reach an even bigger figure. Only time will tell.

Gibbs silences his critics and reaches a deserving ton

Gibbs will continue in 20 minutes but for now the bails are removed and tea is taken on the first day. South Africa losing another 2 wickets in the session but remains in good shape here. There aren?t any demons in the track so a good final session is vital to cap off a good day for the locals.

South Africa 4/202
Tea - Day 1

58 overs

Gibbs 103(129)*
Rudolph 6(23)*

Lee 1/57
Gillespie 1/54
Clark 1/43
Warne 1/47

Short Leg

International Cricketer
I am sorry to say that i will not be continuing this story. I have lost interest in it and realistically I don?t think I can finish it as it?s to long and very limited in what I can do with it. I apologies for stopping but I am going to start a career player story staring myself in the domestic leagues that will be a lot more interesting and entertaining. It will start in the next few days so look out for it.

MWaugh

International Coach
thats really unfortunate to hear. probably one of, if not, the best thread in the section. i really enjoyed reading it. do you want me to close the thread or leave it open? all the best with the next story

Short Leg

International Cricketer
Sorry boys but i've got some ideas for the next story which will start tomorrow. You can leave this thread open for now thanks MWaugh.

Brett_Lee

International Coach
Short Leg said:
I am sorry to say that i will not be continuing this story. I have lost interest in it and realistically I don?t think I can finish it as it?s to long and very limited in what I can do with it. I apologies for stopping but I am going to start a career player story staring myself in the domestic leagues that will be a lot more interesting and entertaining. It will start in the next few days so look out for it.
Bad news but your new oen should be just as good!

Users who are viewing this thread