IPL If Tendulkar was to go under the hammer

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Isn't Sachin one of the "icon" players? Which meant he was automatically allocated to the franchise of his home town.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just because I don't want to give Tendulkar free blow jobs, doesn't mean I speak ridiculous.

shantanu_rooney

Chairman of Selectors
Each franchise will be allow to retain 7 players(4 Indians and 3 Overseas) and each franchise will have a 7m salary cap to spend and the 7 players retained will be included in the 7m salary cap. So if Mumbai sell Tendulkar to Pune expect the Mumbai fans going mad because Mumbai is nothing without Sachin. And why would Ambani's sell Sachin??

StickyWicket

Club Cricketer
Because he could get someone better?
The fanboy in me is craving to say that there's no one better. But that's not true when it comes to the IPL.. at least when we're talking pure Cricket. However, the amount of fanfare, sponsorship, etc. (in short money) that Sachin brings in is indispensable. Sachin has always sold himself as a Mumbaikar anyway, I'm pretty sure that if he started playing under another city (don't think he'll agree to anyway) the Mahrashtra crowd wouldn't be too pleased. And you'd think that Maharashtra (with the exception of Pune now) is MI's biggest market, so it doesn't make much sense for a businessman like Ambani to let him go.
Plus it's not like Tendulkar is a liability on the field by any means, all that financial gain + his performance on the field is a combination you'd never let go ,really. KKR selling Ganguly is a more realistic proposition, though I don't think that'll happen either.

In a hypothetical scenario now, the only thing I can predict about Tendulkar in an IPL auction is that Rajasthan won't bid for him and will instead buy Aditya Tare for 150,000 $. Good ol' Rajasthan (That's who I support btw)

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Aah thank you. An Indian supporter that does not try to make something past Tendulkar's mere human status.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Tendulkar is so much more than just a player for the Mumbai Indian franchise--he is a brand. According to Forbes, Tendulkar was the second-highest grossing cricketer in the world last year at $8million after endorsements (the top being Dhoni). However, as a brand, Tendulkar is eons older than Dhoni. He's been bringing that money in year in and year out for about a decade.

Losing Tendulkar would not only dry up a lot of the endorsements but probably destroy fan allegiance as well.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Stereotypes are resigned to failure, you ought to know that.
I was comparing you to the dire fellow named sachingr8

TBF, Tendulkar was probably unlucky to be named an icon player. Had the franchises actually had to bid for him, he might have raked in more than Dhoni.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
I was comparing you to the dire fellow named sachingr8

TBF, Tendulkar was probably unlucky to be named an icon player. Had the franchises actually had to bid for him, he might have raked in more than Dhoni.

Aah, that's why you have posted every thing against Sachin in this thread before this post. you!!! Whatever you post about me I don't mind because you are hopeless.

and for your main part of the post, Sachin wasn't unlucky to be an icon player.
Money isn't everything, only the greats were chosen as icon players.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Hypothetically...seeing as the most expensive sales were 1.5 mill...I'd say somewhere between 2 and 2.5 mill. Just for the amount of fans and sponsorship he'd bring.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
When talking cricketing ability in Indian conditions, I'd rate Warner, Jacques Kallis and Yusuf Pathan (bowling included) of similar value to Tendulkar. Tendulkar is ageing and there is a possibility that he simply will not be up to the mark in two to three years. Moreover, it is not like he is scoring hundreds every game, he has four fifties in six innings this year - he has been pretty consistent over a short period of time. I simply think that something like $750,000 would be a reasonable price to pay for him, if you are looking to build a team around him, perhaps stretch to $1million, but anymore and you are stretching towards poor money management where you could buy bargain players like Marsh, Langeveldt, Rohit Sharma, who all have strong records.

However, in asking what will, rather than should happen - it'll probably be in the region of $2-3 million.

Users who are viewing this thread