Improving Batting Assist for DBC/ playing without circle marker

Would you like an early assist for picking legth to complement non circle marker play as an option

• YES

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • NO

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I have to agree with people who say that no hud is easier. I've been experimenting with legend/no hud and it is challenging I can't deny that, but in terms of co-ordination it is more comfortable because you are not being bogged down with extra information to process. Its harder because you cant get away with premeditation so much, but its easier in a sense because you have more time to analyse each delivery on its own merit. This way it seems much more satisfying.

grkrama

National Board President
ya if you you can keep your head clear and judge you will play really well without huds, not to mention the improved timing.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
The main problem with no hud for me is that judging length against pace can be tricky, but the DBC system is pretty forgiving on which foot you play from so it's not really a huge problem.

For timing the ball, judging line in what feels like a natural way and just good old fashioned no goddamn animated neon circles, no hud is a clear winner.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
ya if you you can keep your head clear and judge you will play really well without huds, not to mention the improved timing.

Well the first thing you'll notice after switching to no HUD is that for a time, you'll play late for most deliveries. Not really such a bad thing but it means scoring will be slow for a while. After that it's just acclimatising to the timing needed, since most deliveries can be spotted easily save for a few that @T.J.Hooker pointed out just now.

grkrama

National Board President
actually it was the opposite for me, im actually hitting ideal timing more often than not without circle marker.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Haha! It must be a mental barrier for me then! I guess my mind is telling be to concentrate harder because of the lack of markers. To be fair though, I never was a great batsman in real life neither!

11Ryan11

Club Captain
^%$ I just wrote a whole post with my thoughts on this and it just disappeared as I was about to hit post reply!!! Over it now but here are the cliff notes.

-No bowling indicators because game doesn't know where ball is going till its has left the hand.
-Showing length before hand introduces premeditated shot taking.
-Premeditated shot taking will be batting like in old cricket games.
-Batting like in old cricket games bad
-Need to increase time between ball leaving the bowlers hand and batsmen.
-Increasing time mostropbable means slowing the ball.
-Slowing the ball makes people unhappy
-leaving the batting as is makes people unhappy.
-can't make everyone happy.

It was something along those lines

grkrama

National Board President
-No bowling indicators because game doesn't know where ball is going till its has left the hand.
no it should be possible to get the rough length indication by what button is pressed , it doesnt have to be linked to the circle, whatever button is pressed(selected by AI) is going to make a call to the engine just have it appear as text.

[unless bigant can confirm otherwise i cant take speculations on net as the right answer]

this is not premeditation.This is called picking the length. It should ideally appear just before or during jump as in vid.

No need to slow down anything just watch the video in first post.(where as the option discussed by ross in steam involves slowing down on release which is bad, this is not me asking something this is my suggestion to something bigant are going to do to aid people, this kind of indicator is 10X better than adding an option to slow the game down)

give this as an option everyone is happy.

11Ryan11

Club Captain
I'm not totally sure but can't you still bowl a shot ball (slow one) after choosing a full delivery by just pushing the right stick up late. Im not saying you are wrong or it couldn't work I'm all for improvement, I'm just trying to avoid adding other unforeseen issues.

Last edited:

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I think it's very much like real batting in the respect that slow deliveries that don't come onto the bat are less fun to bat against, and like any other video game in that fun seems to scale inversely to the lag between user input and avatar execution.

grkrama

National Board President
I'm not totally sure but can't you still bowl a shot ball (slow one) after choosing a full delivery by just pushing the right stick up late. Im not saying you are wrong or it couldn't work I'm all for improvement, I'm just trying to avoid adding other unforeseen issues.

no it only varies to the extent were a full length becomes a sort of full good length delivery, which is more than acceptable, the system im saying is not to give you full indication, just to help you bat without circle marker and prevent stupid things like playing late cut to a yorker etc, so as long as i choose a decent footwork or eliminate the wrong footwork option while the bowler is in delivery jump, playing would be a lot more free flowing, without having to resort to cheap tactics like slowing down.

Just like tjhooker says, right now the latency between animation playing out and user input doesn't give much room for correction, so this kind of a system will be much better than slowing down or watching the circle marker but still enjoy the game while retaining the essence of watching the ball as well as the unpredictability.

Last edited:

11Ryan11

Club Captain
This is just a thought I had with regards to maybe creating an extra half a second between the ball leaving the hand of the bowler and the reaching the batsmen. I've done a drawing to help show what i'm think. Ignore the velocity stuff in the drawing, I was just typing stuff as I was thinking.
My thoughts are to delay or slow (not sure which is the right word to describe this) the acceleration of the ball in the first 2/3 of the pitch after which it carries on like normal. Im talking slight here and because it happens on the far end of the pitch from a batsman's point of view it should not be to noticeable but increase the reaction time. This is all theory and i'm sure the more I look at my idea the more Ill find things wrong with it but ill post it anyway. Hope my drawing makes some sense.Delivery drawing.jpg

grkrama

National Board President
i can see you have given it a great deal of thought and the idea is cool but this is exactly what i dont want happening, slowing down in middle will take away all the immersion for me in facing a 150kph johnson bouncer.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
You'd have time to make a shot decision more easily but the delivery is going to look and feel much less like a cricket delivery, and DBC deliveries are already noticeably slower than real life. Personally I don't want to bother playing if it doesn't feel like real batting, and the longer the ball takes to arrive the less it feels like real batting.

grkrama

National Board President
ya just an approximate indicator of length in the delivery stride while jumping or before jumping is all we need, everything else can be worked out by watching the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread