Improving Batting Assist for DBC/ playing without circle marker

Would you like an early assist for picking legth to complement non circle marker play as an option

• YES

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • NO

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters

devilz_tongue

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
the biggest issue i am facing is premeditation. how do i counter that? im playing on veteran difficulty and i usually have a quickfire 20-30 odd runs and as usual after that i get out nicking the ball. Even defending the ball is predetermined. any advice in this matter will help as im soo frustrated that i stopped playing for a while.

11Ryan11

Club Captain
i can see you have given it a great deal of thought and the idea is cool but this is exactly what i don't want happening, slowing down in middle will take away all the immersion for me in facing a 150kph johnson bouncer.
Didn't put to much thought into it, it was just something that came to mind from our posts. I think your idea is good, i'm just looking for other ways to reduce premeditation. With regards to ball speed people have to take into account the lack off depth perception in games which sometimes has to be compensated with non realistic speeds. I know my idea is most probably full of holes but I'm not trying to slow the delivery speed down just distort the acceleration to that said speed at the beginning of the delivery but still have the ball come past the batsmen at the normal speed we have now. Im talking an extra couple of split seconds for the batsmen. Anyway its just an idea.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
I can see the ball fine at current speeds. The difficulty is that I have to hit the RS when it's only a few feet out of the hand to get perfect timing, so whether or not I can see it is kind of a secondary factor because most of the delivery is yet to occur.

In real life you get some degree of indication of the delivery from the action so a hud indicator timed to the delivery stride doesn't seem unduly unrealistic, and with a length only indicator you're still working out most of the delivery by eye, and most crucially for the fun factor, you're doing it in real time and not some bullet time alternate universe where even the quickest deliveries are actually only slow medium pace.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I find it so much more satisfying crunching one to the boundary when not using the ball indicators. I love batting in this game - until I get out as am currently rubbish ha ha! It's the most immersive thing I've done in any sporting game bar an F1 simulator.

Funny how Big Ant have nailed it almost completely first time round whereas EA and Codies tried for years without getting anywhere near this game's level.[DOUBLEPOST=1408721576][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can see the ball fine at current speeds. The difficulty is that I have to hit the RS when it's only a few feet out of the hand to get perfect timing, so whether or not I can see it is kind of a secondary factor because most of the delivery is yet to occur.

In real life you get some degree of indication of the delivery from the action so a hud indicator timed to the delivery stride doesn't seem unduly unrealistic, and with a length only indicator you're still working out most of the delivery by eye, and most crucially for the fun factor, you're doing it in real time and not some bullet time alternate universe where even the quickest deliveries are actually only slow medium pace.

Good idea, I like it.

bahnzo

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

There was a baseball game (MVP '05 I think) that has something similar that I thought worked well, and might work well here also.

What they did was during the pitch, gave you a quick flash of color to identify the pitch type. So if it was a fastball, you'd see red, a curveball yellow, changeup blue, etc. But it also depended on the ability of the pitcher, so better pitchers were better at not tipping off their pitches while worse pitchers did so almost every pitch. This was also done during the delivery do you had that very split second to adjust.

I really think something like that should transfer well to cricket. Just give the option to turn it off for people who don't want it.

UnknownSoul

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
That would be good, Just a little indication would be very helpful. As i'm planted on the front foot. I used to pick up short balls very well but now its a dot ball every time. Can't react quick enough. like you say you have to decide your shot seconds after it's released.

superfreddie

Club Captain
As has already been said, to get perfect timing to a quick delivery you need to execute your shot when the ball is only half way down the wicket, maybe this is due to the time it takes for the batting animation to play out. But its a bit frustrating because if you wait to see the line and length before you decide on your shot as you do in real life its normally in the late zone in the game and you are penalised with bad timing or an edge.

This means to bat well I generally have to premeditate shot aggression and footwork and react to just the line in order to hit shots in the good timing window consistantly. So I think bigant needs to either adjust the timing window for quick deliveries so we can play late and not be penalised or give us an early indication of length as suggested by many, or both in my opinion.

I think this will make batting obviously easier but will certainly make it much more enjoyable and give a real feel of control and immersion.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
As has already been said, to get perfect timing to a quick delivery you need to execute your shot when the ball is only half way down the wicket, maybe this is due to the time it takes for the batting animation to play out. But its a bit frustrating because if you wait to see the line and length before you decide on your shot as you do in real life its normally in the late zone in the game and you are penalised with bad timing or an edge.

This means to bat well I generally have to premeditate shot aggression and footwork and react to just the line in order to hit shots in the good timing window consistantly. So I think bigant needs to either adjust the timing window for quick deliveries so we can play late and not be penalised or give us an early indication of length as suggested by many, or both in my opinion.

I think this will make batting obviously easier but will certainly make it much more enjoyable and give a real feel of control and immersion.

You're probably right about the batting animation. There is a degree of backlift that plays out only after you select the shot. This is somewhat wrong because the perfect technique in the 'real world' would require you to ideally complete your backlift more or less between the time the ball takes leaves the bowler's hand and for it to hit the ground. Indeed some great players have already lifted their bat by the time the ball is released.

Hartley

Club Captain
I disabled assist and my experience is WOW the runs i got are mostly from Clean and Perfect timings and if i didn't get timed i was getting out.
T20 version with this is quite Demanding one for me.
Thanks for improving my batting with this advice

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I disabled assist and my experience is WOW the runs i got are mostly from Clean and Perfect timings and if i didn't get timed i was getting out.
T20 version with this is quite Demanding one for me.
Thanks for improving my batting with this advice

That's definitely my experience too, and for me it provides the perfect balance of risk and reward, knowing that you are out if you get things wrong. For me, removing the markers is actually easier because it trains you to watch what the ball is actually doing. Not only are the markers frequently misleading, they also add extra information to process that will slow your reaction time.

Hartley

Club Captain
The Most noticeable improvement is i was able to play ground strokes more once i disabled it which made me to play longer than what i did in the past
Previously i played at max for 25 overs but now being 1 down batsmen and came to ground on 1.2 over stood until the end of innings in a 50 over match

Redd

School Cricketer
That's definitely my experience too, and for me it provides the perfect balance of risk and reward, knowing that you are out if you get things wrong. For me, removing the markers is actually easier because it trains you to watch what the ball is actually doing. Not only are the markers frequently misleading, they also add extra information to process that will slow your reaction time.

I'm also convinced it's easier to bat with the ball marker off . You only have one decision to make which is the line ...then play the shot. The delay caused by your brain trying to process/identify the colour of the marker then the line then the shot just is not possible against fast bowlers , so you are then forced to premeditate.

With the latest patch the fact that you can play shots more freely 360 degrees without being as paranoid about the fielding positions (the ball goes along the ground) , means you can bat without any level of premeditation imo. Using pro-cam with no-marker raises the level of immersion as well. So i could never go back from pro-cam/no ball marker.

Your bad shots tend to be late , which doesn't get you in as much trouble as playing completely the wrong line , typically you just lose power in the shot . But your good shots, when you pick up the line early just feel crisp and powerful.

The most recent patches have made batting a whole new experience (for the better)

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
As someone who has been banging on about pro cam / no hud since the nets came out I'm always pleased when other people like it. At one stage I thought I was going to be in a minority of 1.

Truly it is a prince among DBC batting options.

grkrama

National Board President
Love the PRO CAM while batting especially for career, its probably the best cam for picking the line and length naturally, but cant play it for any amount of real time cause of the running and non striker pro cam.Would really like to play at-least career mode in Pro cam, but its just gives a headache while running and at non strikers end, also not able to judge runs as the batsman often looks at the wrong direction of were the ball is going.Switching to other cams for running totally breaks the immersion as it cuts just as the ball leaves the bat that i dont feel like i played a shot.So have to stick with pro cam for running for the complete experience, so far now sticking with close cam without circle marker.
If the Pro cam for running and non striker gets free head movement would really be great.

Users who are viewing this thread