India Vs Australia 2007/8 Race Row

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
I could see this coming a mile off,
but i guess theres nothing you can do about it

AUSTRALIAN cricket fans racially taunted Indian supporters at the MCG yesterday despite Cricket Australia's zero-tolerance policy.

And police and security staff did not eject any fans despite the Australian supporters shouting "Show us your visas, show us your visas" at their Indian counterparts and being within metres of the potentially explosive incident.

Indian fans spoken to by the Herald Sun described the chant as "offensive, ugly and racist".

Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young said no action could be taken against those involved in the chant because it was not reported to police or security, despite them being within metres of those responsible.

"Police have confirmed the chant took place and conducted extensive interviews with both Indian and Australian supporters and they did not find anyone who was offended," Mr Young said.

"But we urge anyone who considers comments to be racist to report them to police and security staff. Racism is in the eye of the beholder."

Mr Young refused to brand the visa taunt racist, despite the Herald Sun telling him several Indian supporters had been offended.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22978621-661,00.html

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
'Indian fans spoken to by the Herald Sun described the chant as "offensive, ugly and racist".'

I am not sure about the chant, but that sounds like the average Australian to me. :p

Last edited:

.Mob

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
'Indian fans spoken to by the Herald Sun described the chant as "offensive, ugly and racist".'

I am not sure about the chant, but that sounds like the average Australian to me. :p

:D

Honestly, what idiots, I bet most of them were pulling their hairs out in anger when the Indian crowds were being morons to Symonds.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah, payback is a B.I.

But its not really that racist, it could be directed to anyone coming into our country. But if they take it as an offence then we should understand and not let the crowd do it again. Thank God in Australia we actually get stuff done, and Im sure if it happens again then the guys who did it will be ejected from the ground.

Animator!

School Cricketer
It's not racist. Its more against the country of India rather than any race.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
racism is based on "ethnicity and race" mainly in legal terms, so it is racist maybe on the lowest? I don't know.

Well I'd say ignorant piece of Aussies. I'm sure all Australians are not like that, they are good people overall, just like what happened to Symonds in India. But people should learn to be more Tolerant and forgiving.

Now there is no difference between bad people no matter if he is Australian/Indian etc..

end of this stuff.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not going to condone the chant, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that it's racist. It's maybe a bit parochial and seems more about illegal immigration than actual race.

Animator!

School Cricketer
Well I consider racism any offence towards a specific race. The definition of race being people of the same ethnic background - In terms that they have the same colour skin. So the major races are Caucasion, Asian, Black, Mixed Race etc. It doesn't cause any offence towards race in those chants. Just the country of India.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Well If i was one of those Indian, take my passport out and show em the visa, and say "on your face", and wont cry about it nor' fight them. Reply peacefully.

I'm not going to condone the chant, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say that it's racist. It's maybe a bit parochial and seems more about illegal immigration than actual race.

Go back to your kevistan, :eek:.

Last edited:

rickyp

International Coach
Everyone is so precious these days. Can anyone say their lives have been affected by hearing that? They are the Bay 13 typical plebs of Australia, every country has them, and no one listens to what they say, but now we are?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Go back to your kevistan, :eek:.
Usy, I have no problem with legal immigration. If you want to go live in a country and you are going to pay their taxes and contribute to their society, and hopefully bring a trade or skill thats fine. I do have a problem with illegal immigration as illegal immigrants do none of that. Thats not racist.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Relgions are races too aren't they? If I called a muslim a terrorist it would be racist I know that much!

It doesn't really surprise me, both sets of fans are as bad as each other. You'll hear much worse than this though and that seems much more like banter than genuine dislike and doing it to deliberately offend like the Indian fans were too Symonds, no matter how ignorant they are.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Usy, I have no problem with legal immigration. If you want to go live in a country and you are going to pay their taxes and contribute to their society, thats fine. I do have a problem with illegal immigration as illegal immigrants do none of that. Thats not racist.

yea I know i was just kidding, funnily There is no these kinda jokes on Diplomats :)

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Trouble is Usy, that sometimes the "race card" is overplayed and that leads to frustration and that leads to ignorant chants and views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread