India Vs Australia 2007/8 Race Row

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well I happened to be sitting a couple of rows ahead of the guy who started that chant, and security certainly could've heard it.

The Indians retaliated with 'Show us your handcuffs,' so to me it was a bit of banter between fans, there was a bit of scoreboard, sit down etc stuff, but no references to skin colour or religion. Overreaction is my opinion, and I may call up the Sun to say something about it.

Its banter, and yes the Media make everything something tiny huge and something huge even bigger. Take it on the chin and give it back. Evrybody is so touchy these days about what people say. Its Stupid.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
I agree. I called the Sun but they said I'd have to call back on Monday, which I fully intend to. I'm going to defend fans' rights to enjoy themselves and to have banter.

irottev

School Cricketer
How is this racist? Absolutely absurd.

Mod's note: Edited for swearing

Last edited by a moderator:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Damn it, I miss the days when fans were getting nailed for proper racism! None of this poxy banter nonsense.

Kal-El

Club Cricketer
What's worse? Asking Indians where their Visas are, or calling a Black person a monkey?

usy

Chairman of Selectors
actully both are very stupid and ignorant comments to make, but yeah people who do differentiate between Black and white should be considered worse.

Salam

Kal-El

Club Cricketer
I dunno if asking where your Visas are is THAT offensive. It's similar to calling us Aussies convicts, which English fans take great joy in doing. Is that racially offensive?

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah because you are by one way or another saying you guys are Illegal immigration and "have no rights" in this country. Trust me , it's a way of saying, "get your ass out'a my land". Harsh

Kal-El

Club Cricketer
Yeah because you are by one way or another saying you guys are Illegal immigration and "have no rights" in this country. Trust me , it's a way of saying, "get your ass out'a my land". Harsh
Dunno about that. Odds are they were saying "Show Us Your Visas" in the same chant as "You Are A W***er". No message intended, just something to sing that demonstrated some mild creativity.

Ultimately it comes down to how sensitive you are. Some people are just overly-sensitive and can't hack a bit of banter.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
You basically don't get the point.

.::Stevo::.

International Coach
"And police and security staff did not eject any fans despite the Australian supporters shouting "Show us your visas, show us your visas" at their Indian counterparts and being within metres of the potentially explosive incident."

lol, am i the only person that kinda finds it funny? Personally i dont think its racist. If i was in another country and they started chanting that out to me id probaly laugh aswell.

Whats with India thinking everything is racist???? Are they a bit insecure ey?

usy

Chairman of Selectors
well from my experience ignorant people who live in Pakistan don't see how calling someone black or white is racist. Lack of knowledge?

I, not sure 'bout Indians.

valvolux

Club Cricketer
Hmmmm...that really has to hurt. christ almighty, for the amount of trouble you get into these days for doing nothing they may as well burn an indian flag in the stands.....but then, that would be racist...and the average australian isn't racist. In all of world cricket the aussies are subjected to it the most through the media and opposing fans but you don't hear us complaining.

By the way...did they have their visas? Rather nice of the aussie lads to check cause we wouldn't want our visiting friends spending the night in a detention center. As the famous Australian Professer Kevin Bloody Wilson once said you can either be an immigrant or you can be illegal, but not both - if you are an immigrant you're welcome, if you are illegal you can leave!

Mod's note: edited for swearing

Last edited by a moderator:

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
"Show us your Visas". Things like that get chanted every week at football matches to foreign players. It's banter. As usual though, it's been blown well out proportion. Now if they were calling them real racist terms i'd be appauled, but it's not as if they are calling them monkeys like some cricket fans do now is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread