India Vs Australia 2007/8 Race Row

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oversensitivity to racism is one of the major problems in this world. I have no doubt that this is the case here, having 'suffered' from it myself.

How is it racist, it's banter more than anything.Someone said that to me in a foreign country i'd just laugh at them.
Dude, different people react differently. I'm sure I could call you something that you would take a lot of offense to but there'd be someone in the world who wouldn't give a crap.

I'm only trying to speculate as to how this could be conceived as being racist and the only thing I can think of is that their citizenship was being insinuated from their skin color. Which is hardly racist because you should proud to be Indian. :D

Dunno about that. Odds are they were saying "Show Us Your Visas" in the same chant as "You Are A W***er". No message intended, just something to sing that demonstrated some mild creativity.

Ultimately it comes down to how sensitive you are. Some people are just overly-sensitive and can't hack a bit of banter.

Yeah because you are by one way or another saying you guys are Illegal immigration and "have no rights" in this country. Trust me , it's a way of saying, "get your ass out'a my land". Harsh

I dunno if asking where your Visas are is THAT offensive. It's similar to calling us Aussies convicts, which English fans take great joy in doing. Is that racially offensive?

Usy I dont agree with you here. Sport is all about Banter mate, if your gonna watch or play it, live with it. I remember at a Twenty20 game at North Sydney Oval where they have there nicknames this Queensland bloke was getting massive flak. But he didn't go cry saying there was racism directed to him.

Mod's note: edited for swearing

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's racist. However, I think it could be dependant upon the tone of the chant. I am quite sure the tone was banter, the Indian fans did reply of course. I don't think this was a racist incident, however, with a different tone that could be construed as racist, in situations inside and outside cricket grounds, and everywhere.

Dunno about that. Odds are they were saying "Show Us Your Visas" in the same chant as "You Are A W***er". No message intended, just something to sing that demonstrated some mild creativity.

Ultimately it comes down to how sensitive you are. Some people are just overly-sensitive and can't hack a bit of banter.
That is what happened, and as far as I'm concerned, if they can give it back then it's just fun and games.

So an average Aussie is racist?
No, and that is a generalised statement. If I wanted to, I could label you racist, but of course white people aren't allowed to do that. Getting too political here I know.

Aussies are good people. Yes they have some nobheads in their country but so does every other nation.
Exactly, there are thousands of people who were working on Tuesday, as doctors, lawyers, professors, authors, even politicians. So many people weren't at the cricket today, and the majority of people at the cricket were sitting outside Bay 13. Now out of the millions who live in Australia, some of them are racist, but many of them aren't.

It just happens that the most combative and, often, most drunk cricket fans sit in Bay 13. They also have the right to enjoy their cricket and start chants. To a fan, it means nothing. Go to the cricket, call some players legends or w***ers, calling fans that same word for knocking beach balls into the hands of policemen, to policemen even. Not even the cops care, they just do their jobs.

Suddenly if a chant is directed at an Indian fan, it's racist? Yes we must stop racism, but at what cost? This is as far as I'm concerned, just another chant by cricket fans. They're generally rude, but are they racist? No, they're just as offensive as any other, and shouldn't be offensive if you understand that they don't mean anything.

Personally I think that the calling of young children that w word (which I don't need to use twice) is worse than asking Indian fans to show their visas.

I don't think it's racist. However, I think it could be dependant upon the tone of the chant. I am quite sure the tone was banter, the Indian fans did reply of course. I don't think this was a racist incident, however, with a different tone that could be construed as racist, in situations inside and outside cricket grounds, and everywhere.
Also very true, a lot of things are interpreted differently by separate parties.

The you are are ****** chants were used when the coppers stole their beach balls. :)

Stop trying to be intelligent Usman, it really doesn't suit you.

Aussies are good people. Yes they have some nobheads in their country but so does every other nation.

Absolutely right there. 1000 drunken idiots chanting like that doesn't mean that the whole country are racist.

Last edited:
Suddenly if a chant is directed at an Indian fan, it's racist? Yes we must stop racism, but at what cost? This is as far as I'm concerned, just another chant by cricket fans. They're generally rude, but are they racist? No, they're just as offensive as any other, and shouldn't be offensive if you understand that they don't mean anything.
This reminds me so much of the justification that taunting Symonds with monkey chants was racist because he was black. Apparently, if someone of a different complexion were to be taunted, it would be just insulting, not racist...

This reminds me so much of the justification that taunting Symonds with monkey chants was racist because he was black. Apparently, if someone of a different complexion were to be taunted, it would be just insulting, not racist...
Taunting someone with monkey chants is alot worse than saying "Show us your visas"

I'm sure they just wanted to make sure they got their visas before they came here. Unlike Asad Rauf and that other umpire at the start of the Sri Lankan series. :p

I myself do no think it's racist.

My justification for calling the monkey chants racist was the fact that Herschelle Gibbs was found guilty of racism for calling Pakistani fans 'a bunch of monkeys.'

Taunting someone with monkey chants is alot worse than saying "Show us your visas"

I'm sure they just wanted to make sure they got their visas before they came here. Unlike Asad Rauf and that other umpire at the start of the Sri Lankan series. :p

I myself do no think it's racist.
No where did I compare their levels of insulting. I was just attempting to show through an example from this very forum that aus5892's belief that the racist content of a comment doesn't depend on the person a comment is directed towards was the very premise under which Symonds was racially abused.

My justification for calling the monkey chants racist was the fact that Herschelle Gibbs was found guilty of racism for calling Pakistani fans 'a bunch of monkeys.'
You're one of the few to have used that reason, then.

Last edited:
No, and that is a generalised statement. If I wanted to, I could label you racist, but of course white people aren't allowed to do that. Getting too political here I know.

I swear man I always though you were one of non-ignorant members at PlanetCricket. Thanks for proving me wrong.

I swear man I always though you were one of non-ignorant members at PlanetCricket. Thanks for proving me wrong.

Well he's right. Trust me I have the personal experience. Us white people can't label others as racist because then we are racist.

It's called political correctness.

Ignorance would be to deny it. Sorry to disappoint you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread