IPL Indian Premier League 2010

LongLegs?

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Imagine, if you will, you are in the English Championship, League 1, League 2 or Blue Sq. Premier. You play 46 football matches, over the course of the year, and that is just in the league. Then the top 1/2/3 teams get automatically promoted to the division above. However the next 4 teams then have to play the playoffs, where any one of them could get promoted. Is that fair to the team that finishes one place off automatic promotion? Remembering, of course, that promotion is extremely lucrative to the teams involved.

This is not about promotion though. This is the highest level of the league, and like the Premiership, and other leagues, the best teams over a basis of matches should go to the CL. I don't really like that the winner is decided by knockouts too. Mumbai have been the best team all season, and well, they might still not win the league!

Not to mention, Twenty20 cricket is probably more unpredictable than football. Not saying that the worst team can't beat the best team in football, but you'd always think the best team has a much higher probability of winning, unlike Twenty20 cricket, where we've seen a lot of upsets so far.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
What is the tweaking obsession with Mumbai? There are other grounds in India too. Gives Mumbai Indians an unfair advantage as well.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yeah shravi, why not Chennai or Kolkata? Maybe because there are a lot of people in the BCCI that hail from Mumbai, which is now the home of the BCCI.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Mumbai is the largest city. But, Chennai is too hot, Kolkata is waay too partisan. Bangalore is the perfect place, but...

P

pcfan123

Moving cities does not necessarily make it safer (after all Mumbai is the site of the largest terror attack in Indian history). I read they are having 3000 police men, 60 metal detectors, checking every individual spectator and putting up CC tv for the entire stadium. If they can do that in Mumbai on a whims notice they sure as hell can do it in Bangalore.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Bangalore IMO is much safer anyways. But I guess to appeal to the players and public alike, it would be a better move to change the venue altogether.

You cannot just say Mumbai is unsafe because of 26/11 tho. Then we have to say NY is the most unsafe in America, Madrid, London...etc

Who knows, a home game for Bangalore would have maybe even won them the match today.

P

pcfan123

unrelated buy NYC probably is the most dangerous city in America, or Detroit

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Moving cities does not necessarily make it safer (after all Mumbai is the site of the largest terror attack in Indian history). I read they are having 3000 police men, 60 metal detectors, checking every individual spectator and putting up CC tv for the entire stadium. If they can do that in Mumbai on a whims notice they sure as hell can do it in Bangalore.

Its got to do with the venues as well. The DY Patil Stadium is the newest venue in India and thus the best planned venue in terms of spectator comfort, security and even the stadium itself and also the most equipped in terms of having metal detectors, CCTVs installed right across the stadium. I hear they have security arrangements and surveillance stuff setup by the ones who handled security related technology at the Berlin Stadium which hosted the WC 06 final. Bangalore, being one of the older venues might not have all that infrastructure available.

Having said that, I expect everything to be in order with all the upgradation of facilities before the 2011 WC.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
What are your guys' IPL XIs? Mine would look something like this

Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Suresh Raina
+ Robin Uthappa
Andrew Symonds
Saurabh Tiwary
Kieron Pollard