Institutes for Space research (Astronomy/astrophysics)

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Before I start, I'd first like to request you all not to start any kind of banter or insult stuff here, as this is the question which could decide my whole future.

So, I am currently aspiring to become an astronomer (or astrophysicist?, are they the same things?) when I grow up, I feel this is the right time to start getting ready for my future and I want the opinions of the guys here, who may know about it. So, until now, I have worked out several combinations on what I could do :-

1.) Bachelor of technology + Master of technology in astrophysics from the IIT and then a Phd. degree from a reputed institute (???).

My concerns :- From several forums, mainly this one, and my own experiences, I feel that IIT is not the best thing for me. I'm not one of the guys who study for a degree or for qualifying a test. I want to actually improve my personality, in terms of sports, social skills, creativity and posting on online forums. In IIT, everything that is cared for is marks (as far as I know), and to get there, all you have to do is to join a so-so coaching centre, work like a dog there, (and developing zero personality at all). So, at present, it's a no-no for me about IIT.

2.) Bachelor of technology + Master of technology - IIST (Indian Institute of Space Technology) and a Phd. degree from the same institute.

My concerns :- The only problem with the institute is that they make you sign a bond at the time of admission, and under the bond, you're compulsed to work for ISRO for 5 years after your B.Tech (and to break it, you have to pay upto Rs. 1 million), which again cuts this off from my list as I would rather prefer a Phd. degree from abroad.

3.) SAT + TOEFL + ACT (if I qualify all of these), then a bachelor and master degree in MIT or Nasa GISS (again I'm not sure if these would be the best for me), and then a Phd. degree.

My concerns :- Uncertainty of selection, our schools don't have that much level of creativity (and personality development) which they require. I'd try my best to develop those traits myself, but still.....

Am I taking too much burden on myself? Or thinking too much? Please help me, especially on the bracket text where I am the most confused. I feel that likes of dutchad, barmyarmy, themer, Mark, shravi, Kshitiz, sureshot etc. could provide me with suitable guidance.(and please be serious, this is not a joke)

D

Dutch

First of all I think it is great that you aspire to be something and to aspire to do something that is seemingly high and "out of reach". I am of course no expert on your particular circumstances but I would personally be seeking the advice who really know the system, who know the neccessary steps and who can give practical help and advice. Search out people who ahve done it in similar circumstances to yourself. Get their advice, listen carefully even if it seems "wrong". Take it all in and then follow your own healthy instincts and be brave. I wish you all the very best of luck and keep us informed how it is going!

Varun

ICC Board Member
Thanks for the advice dutch, I take it as an encouragement to my goal. I am trying to contact people now, I've searched astronomy forums, institution websites, and many many other sources.
If anyone here is familiar with this, please reply here.

D

Dutch

Thanks for the advice dutch, I take it as an encouragement to my goal. I am trying to contact people now, I've searched astronomy forums, institution websites, and many many other sources.
If anyone here is familiar with this, please reply here.

Where are you studying at the moment? Are there people there you feel you could talk to or someone lese in your vicinity? I always feel it is good to have a one to one conversation with someone rather than seeking advice via more anonymous routes! Of course there is no harm seeking more general advice but talking to someone who really knows your circumstances and your possibilities is so valuable.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Are there people there you feel you could talk to or someone lese in your vicinity?

That's what I am trying to find, the problem is that that most of the people my parents (not I) know have been IIT aspirants, and I've handful of advices already on that, (from some of my cousins ; most of them advice me to aim for the IIT, though I haven't discussed the matter openly with them), but the main problem that arises is that I don't really want to join the IIT (see My concerns, the first one).
Nevertheless, my mom has asked for advisery on facebook along with our relatives, I'll keep you informed on what happens.:)

D

Dutch

That's what I am trying to find, the problem is that that most of the people my parents (not I) know have been IIT aspirants, and I've handful of advices already on that, (from some of my cousins ; most of them advice me to aim for the IIT, though I haven't discussed the matter openly with them), but the main problem that arises is that I don't really want to join the IIT (see My concerns, the first one).
Nevertheless, my mom has asked for advisery on facebook along with our relatives, I'll keep you informed on what happens.:)

Good stuff! I truly hope that it works out for you!

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
As per as your post, it feels that your parents wants you to do IIT but you are not interested. Well it's the same case with me. However i would suggest you that choose the future in which you are interested and not on the ideas of other. Because only the person him/her self knows the abilities/capabilities he has and you are the one who has to face it. Good Luck.

P

pcfan123

The path here is usually a Bachelors in Aerospace engineering. My brother is an aerospace engineer.

Look into the University of Texas or Texas A&M University , both have fantastic aerospace engineering programs and companies like Lockheed Martin recruit almost exclusively from there.

Varun

ICC Board Member
The path here is usually a Bachelors in Aerospace engineering. My brother is an aerospace engineer.

Look into the University of Texas or Texas A&M University , both have fantastic aerospace engineering programs and companies like Lockheed Martin recruit almost exclusively from there.

No, no Mark! It's not engineering. Astrophysics/Astronomy are mainly related to the research in physics related to universe (in case of astrophysics) or observing celestial bodies and discovering far-off occuring phenomenon. It's mainly research, not building spaceships and all.

Last edited:

AkshayC

County Cricketer
If you have the eagerness to do something you can crack any Test.

Other institutes like
California Institute Of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology
Are also good for Space Research.

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
If you have the eagerness to do something you can crack any Test.

I don't want to crack any test, my ultimate goal is to learn in life, and fulfill my passion, develop social skills, creativity to its best (which unfortunately is not much encouraged by our general academia (in India), and I am on my own to help myself develop them )

Are also good for Aerospace engineering.

As I said in the earlier post, I want to pursue research, not engineering. Lots of difference.

California Institute Of Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology

Thanks for that, I'll probably search up their websites, but currently MIT seems the best option to me, besides NASA GISS.

AkshayC

County Cricketer
I don't want to crack any test, my ultimate goal is to learn in life, and fulfill my passion, develop social skills, creativity to its best (which unfortunately is not much encouraged by our general academia (in India), and I am on my own to help myself develop them )

I am just saying that if you have the passion,eagerness to do some thing you can achieve what ever you have planned.:yes

akshaychauhan added 2 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

As I said in the earlier post, I want to pursue research, not engineering. Lots of difference.

that I have rectified.

Varun

ICC Board Member
I've been attempting "The SAT Question of the day" on collegeboard website for quite a while now.

I was rather wondering I could seek some assessment of my results here. I know I would rather do it on Collegeconfidential talk but this is a rather trivial matter (for now), I won't create a thread there.

So here is how I fare currently,

Reading 4/10 40%
Math 8/10 80%
Writing 9/10 90%

Are those figures fine for a 10th grader? I probably will improve in reading by time. My vocabulary is slightly mediocre at the current point of time..

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
You don't need both SAT and ACT, I don't think. Only one. Question of the day on SAT are rather simple and are nothing like the actual test questions. Try to buy books with past papers. Those will train you well. Get 'The Official SAT Study Guide'. That's what most people get. TOEFL is pretty simple. It doesn't really test your English skills, it's just to see if you have a basic level of understanding of the language (reading & writing). If you're looking at MIT, I suggest you work pretty damn hard towards getting a very, very high SAT score because even if you do make their cutoff for SAT scores, their acceptance rate is very low. Even the best of students get rejected. Look to increase your non-academic activities as those will make your case for admission stronger (clubs, groups, associations, unions, sports, etc). MIT should be your reach school. The majority should be 50-50s with a few safety schools. Don't get fooled by the name of the school either. There are some very well renowned universities who just aren't very good in certain areas so have a good look at the rankings in the majors you are interested in.

Users who are viewing this thread