Institutes for Space research (Astronomy/astrophysics)

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I took the ACT, I found it easier than the SAT. I got in the 99th percentile (34, out of a possible 36). The tests are English, Math, Science, Reading, and an optional (but most colleges require) Writing.

SAT is more widespread though. Buy prep books (Idk if they have a 'Real SAT guide' they had one from ACT which is made by the test makers themselves). I thought princeton review was great. Try Barron's if you want something harder than the actual test. Look online for past tests and answers.

Takes a lot of practice but remember, it is an aptitude test more than a 'what you know' test.

----------

So here is how I fare currently,

Reading 4/10 40%
Math 8/10 80%
Writing 9/10 90%

Are those figures fine for a 10th grader? I probably will improve in reading by time. My vocabulary is slightly mediocre at the current point of time..

Not too good tbh. Being an Indian I think you should strive to get 100% on math :p, at least that's what I did. The math on these tests is pretty trivial stuff. Reading too needs a huge boost, you dont' want that to detract your overall score. Writing looks OK

If you find your vocab to be shoddy, ditch the SAT. Don't waste time. There is no vocab on the ACT! BUT you will need to be a very, very fast reader on it, to master it at least.

But you aren't going to get anything from 10 questions. take practice tests all day! Especially if you are shooting for MIT. A kid in my class who is like a genius, got a 35 on his ACT, 5's in all AP tests, blah blah all the stuff got deferred. Shoot for some middle of range schools as well. University of Michigan is a very, very good school but if you get like a 2200 on your SAT plus good clubs and leadership (start your own 'space club' at school or something) you will have a shot.

Remember that it is quite expensive for international students. I'm talking 50k USD per year (around 25 lakh rs).

Good luck! Btw i'm also a member on collegeconfidential...haha.

Last edited:

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
But I guess ACT in only for US Citizens, isn't it?

And I've been attempting SAT's online test, I'm doing it rather gradually since I hardly find much time (and since my time on PC is limited, and I spend my leisure time reading lectures on MIT - which are so darn good, I can understand basic of derivatives easily even though I am only a 10th grader).

I've been reading some pretty excellent novels (Charles Dickens FTW) which have actually led to a ascent in my vocab over time, I am usually able to use words like vanquish, beguile, sanctimonious, contemplate etc. in my writing stuff, but the problem here is that students literally suck in English (they won't even know what 'exaggerate' means), and hence, I cannot converse with anyone in high english.

I've a two years time with me. Will probably strengthen my English as well as concentrate on my passion i.e. space science and maths and participate in ECs.

And'll probably go for MIT, Stanford, CalTech, Princeton, Cornell or Chicago. I know that's a tough road ahead, but who's giving up?

Not too good tbh. Being an Indian I think you should strive to get 100% on math , at least that's what I did. The math on these tests is pretty trivial stuff. Reading too needs a huge boost, you dont' want that to detract your overall score. Writing looks OK

I know that's trivial stuff but I believe that the ones I got wrong were, attributing to my careless mind, I didn't read the questions fully. (Meh!)

And if you think Indian are good in maths, you are rather at a slight misconception I feel. In India, students study to GET MARKS, just to get marks. There is no intelligence sort of stuff, if there is, that's rather uncommon.

Also, I have traversed the web pages of the unis I'm prospective of getting admission. I've gone through some admission stats and I came across a fact that they gave around "$35000 average of financial aid to each international students (or overall students), so I was rather wondering whether what is in text is real practically, or is just for text purpose?

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Idk, I think ACT is only American too. Do your research.

If your time on the comp is limited get an SAT book. Mimic the test situation as much as you can, you aren't going to be doing the test on a PC. Get a book, paper, calculator (like a graphing calc, ti-84 or similar for math) and set your time limit. Acing tests like the SAT and ACT is like preparing for a marathon.

Basic derivatives are ridiculously easy :p. Besides things like that won't show up on the SAT test. The most you are going to face is trig.

@the careless mistake thing, that is the whole point of the test. You can't afford to make that mistake if you are aiming for MIT!! If you get the answer wrong you are just as good as a guy who didn't study at all. And imagine, if you make 1 careless mistake out of 10, that is like alot (not sure how many q's or on the SAT math). Plus I believe you are docked further points if you get the answer wrong.
Good that you are expanding your vocab. See if you can pick up SAT vocab flashcards in a bookstore (landmark in chennai had em, not sure where you are). More than conversing it is simply MUGGING.

Don't neglect extra curriculars. Sports, music, leadership, academics...top schools want it all. biggest difference between Indian and American unis.

That $35k is probably a loan.

Good luck. Hope I didn't sound too pessimistic, haha

Users who are viewing this thread