Votes: 28 70.0%
  • Bangladesh

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I understand those laws, but this is sport, honestly.

Common sense would say Irish players are not allowed to play for England unless they become citizens in England.

Actually can this ruling not come into place like it has for Saqlain Mushtaq (though it hasn't mattered) - if you've played for Ireland, you must wait for 4 years after your last appearance for Ireland to play for England?

That would put a major stop on the problem - if you're desperate enough to play for England, and are willing to wait for four years, then ok.
Irish are already British citizens.

I wouldn't mind Ireland players having to wait 4 years to play for England, but I don't know how the authorities would go about enforcing it. Does Cricket Ireland have that sort of power? Will they be able to resist the ECB?

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned

I wouldn't mind Ireland players having to wait 4 years to play for England, but I don't know how the authorities would go about enforcing it. Does Cricket Ireland have that sort of power? Will they be able to resist the ECB?
I understand they are British citizens, but isn't there a way to decide who is English, and who isn't? If you live in England, you're obviously English, and if you live in Ireland, you're Irish.

Cricket Ireland is pretty poor, so the ECB is probably the biggest issue.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I understand they are British citizens, but isn't there a way to decide who is English, and who isn't? If you live in England, you're obviously English, and if you live in Ireland, you're Irish.

Cricket Ireland is pretty poor, so the ECB is probably the biggest issue.
There isn't such a thing as an English citizen. We operate as Britain, or the UK.

The ECB aren't going to bring in a rule though, are they, because Irish players moving to play for England is beneficial for them.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
There isn't such a thing as an English citizen. We operate as Britain, or the UK.

The ECB aren't going to bring in a rule though, are they, because Irish players moving to play for England is beneficial for them.
I know the technicalities and how the UK operates, that's not what I'm talking about.

That was just my proposed system of deciding who can play for England and who can play for Ireland, since there is a "designated border" which separates the two territories.

Mercules

Club Cricketer

No they're not. Ireland isn't a part of Great Britain. Joyce & Morgan just gained British citizenship by living in England for however many years.

Though it is in a way a moot point, as you'd expect any Irishman good enough to play for England to have spent enough years in County Cricket to gain citizenship.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
No they're not. Ireland isn't a part of Great Britain. Joyce & Morgan just gained British citizenship by living in England for however many years.

Though it is in a way a moot point, as you'd expect any Irishman good enough to play for England to have spent enough years in County Cricket to gain citizenship.
I see, bringing in the Northern/Republican thing. My passport (I happen to have it out because I'm doing my provisional driving license) says 'United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'. Presumably, then, Joyce and Morgan are Republicans?

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Yes, Joyce and Morgan are "Republican".

The simple soluton is the ICC to make the rule apply to Ireland; you cannot play for another associate OR test nation for 4 years from your previous appearance.

This will in turn comply with UK Trade / Employment laws (I believe), and help Ireland keep the players they groom.

P

pcfan123

I would like to see Ireland playing Test Cricket soon, it does not have to be at the expense of Bang.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
(even with out those ICLers from last series) 4 out of 5 wins, losing the 1st one (getting used to the condition.)

Users who are viewing this thread