Ishant Sharma - The New Indian Star?

I know the worry is that Ishant will be overworked, and when that prolonged bad patch comes, he will be written off. But his mental strength will be tested then. All will depend on how mentally strong he is, and we cannot see it yet coz he is doing well and mental strength is tested when you are not doing well

I hope Ishant can be to India, a great fast bowler. I like everything about him. His bowling is of course great to start with, he is a more than decent fielder and even with the bat, he seems to be of the frustrating type (not slogging, but sounding as if he knows the basics when other tail enders show as if they dont know the ABC of batting).

We have to treat Sharma very carefully, unlike what we did with the rest of our brigade of injured bowlers. There'll be a tendency to play him even when Zaheer and Sree becomes fit, but if I remember correctly, one of the first things Kumble said when handed the captaincy was that if someone steps in for an injured player, the injured player will get back his spot when fit again.

Theres a quote from someone on cricinfo saying Ishant is the best bowler inthe world at the moment. I can never believe the trash some people can talk.

Hold on ... Hold on! It's just a beginning. We have to wait for some time to see his consistency. Remember Pathan? Nehra? Balaji? Zaheer? Indian pace bowlers have a bad habit of struggling a lots after an impressive start to their careers.

Also, he is too skinny as Waquar Younis pointed out. Younis suggested to improve his physique in one of the shows..else, he is easily exposed to all sort of general pace bowler injuries quite easily!

One thing which is common among many fans is... If they see a player performing very well, they will call that player a legend or to replace other top class player. Didn't many of the fans here suggested to play Yuvraj instead of Laxman in Australia test series after that Pakistan series. Then after poor run by Yuvi, everyone started to curse Yuvi. :p Same thing happened to Sachin Tendulkar after that WC2007. I still remember the article which stated, " Sachin can no more dominate!" ;)

Anyways, We have to wait and see how Sharma copes up with his consistency. He is on learning curve and have lots to learn. He definitely has a talent but it have to be triggered in right path. :)

only balaji, nehra have faded out,and they were not fast bowlers they depended upon conditions mostly also,zaheer is one of the best bowlers in the world now and pathan is bowling quicker than he ever had touching 145 {my god he was bowling in the 120,s last season}

Fast bowlers peak at 25 when there bodies have developed completely,

And the difference with ishant sharma is he is no swing bowler,so he is not going to have problems like pathan,balaji,nehra

and most importantly he does not have IAN Frazer and Greg Chappel as
coaches,venky is doing a great job with him .

Waqar younis tralks crap,he had said in the 3rd test against pakistan that
sharma is going to be asif and bowl in the 130-135 a nd be aswing bolwer
i broke down in the laughters after hearing his comments as i had said in the forums a 19 year old bowling at 135-140 is great at that time.also when apakistan youngster bowls at 135 he says he is great talent

everybody is skinny when at 19 he will develop and i can,t e ven imagine if evrything goes right what he will be at 25,

AS Far as potential goes i have not seen anybody so gifted as far natural abilities golike his height,pace,accuracy,

and as ian bishop said ishant and shreesanth are the two most atheletic indian bowlers a nd they have actions which are not injury prone and with ishant he has a great lower body,

and one more thing guys we ne ver had a genuine express bowler
we had many skilled bowlers,so now the likes of venky,prabhakar can
pass on the skills to ishant,we need not worry

I Think if need be we can play 4 fast bowlers when kumble retires with munaf patel doing the holding job
Ishant sharma
shreesanth
Munaf Patel
Zaheer khan/R.P Singh

they said that about Pathan as well when he arrived on the scene.

as i said pathan is back he was more of a swing bowler then who depended upon conditions
still if is given good conditions he is lethal,also he is just 23 he will only get better

and
"Right now, he is probably the best bowler in the world."
Former Indian fast bowler Javagal Srinath rates Ishant Sharma, the rookie pacer

Last edited:
No doubt Ishant will be a better bowler. He will always be better than Sreesanth anyday. Kutan makes good point that he is not a swing bowler who needs swing to be effective. Because of his height he gets extra bounce that troubles batsmen.

Although its too early to give him star status but as an Indian fan it feels nice to see one of our bowlers terrorising opposition batsmen with pace & bounce and not swing.

Zaheer setback was result of him being overweight and he used to put on extra pounds when India was not playing. I dont see Ishant suffering from this problem. Playing Zaheer in MCG test was big mistake. At that time also I said that there is no point in playing Zak in match that India will loose most likely due to lack of match practice and then risk him being out of whole series. Had he been given 10 days of rest he would have healed his ankle injury.

Irfan had problem of too many things being taught to him in just 2 years and everyone expecting him to do diffrent things. Some wanted him to bowl swing and some wated pace. And then there were others who wanted to see him bowl line and length. ll this made up for a lot of garbage in his mind and his bowling career is destroyed. Not due to any injury though.

Nehra and Balaji are the casualty of injuries. Even though Nehra had pace Balaji was more of line and length bowler and im amazed i have not heard of him in last 2 years. He was getting regular 5 wicket hauls in domestic seasons on dead pitches and in lots of heat as well.

No matter how bad I think Sreesanth has been but he still has not dropped his pace. He still bowls around 140 ks mark and can occasionally produce spell that changes match complection (too bad most times in opposition favour).

Theres a quote from someone on cricinfo saying Ishant is the best bowler inthe world at the moment. I can never believe the trash some people can talk.

well truth is never trash

No doubt Ishant will be a better bowler. He will always be better than Sreesanth anyday. Kutan makes good point that he is not a swing bowler who needs swing to be effective. Because of his height he gets extra bounce that troubles batsmen.

Although its too early to give him star status but as an Indian fan it feels nice to see one of our bowlers terrorising opposition batsmen with pace & bounce and not swing.

Zaheer setback was result of him being overweight and he used to put on extra pounds when India was not playing. I dont see Ishant suffering from this problem. Playing Zaheer in MCG test was big mistake. At that time also I said that there is no point in playing Zak in match that India will loose most likely due to lack of match practice and then risk him being out of whole series. Had he been given 10 days of rest he would have healed his ankle injury.

Irfan had problem of too many things being taught to him in just 2 years and everyone expecting him to do diffrent things. Some wanted him to bowl swing and some wated pace. And then there were others who wanted to see him bowl line and length. ll this made up for a lot of garbage in his mind and his bowling career is destroyed. Not due to any injury though.

Nehra and Balaji are the casualty of injuries. Even though Nehra had pace Balaji was more of line and length bowler and im amazed i have not heard of him in last 2 years. He was getting regular 5 wicket hauls in domestic seasons on dead pitches and in lots of heat as well.

No matter how bad I think Sreesanth has been but he still has not dropped his pace. He still bowls around 140 ks mark and can occasionally produce spell that changes match complection (too bad most times in opposition favour).
shreesanth is bowling at 140-150 just watch it on youtube,the speed gun used in espn is inaccurate look at the channel nine speed gun
shreesanth is trying so many variations in odis thats his problem,he is
a great prospect at test and we forget he is only 25,he has raw pace
and an great outswinger,he just experime nts so much in odi cricket,
forgetting odi cricket i think he a nd ishant should lead the attack for india in tests and they will be lethal with one swing the ball away and other seaming it in

Last edited:
only balaji, nehra have faded out,and they were not fast bowlers they depended upon conditions mostly also,zaheer is one of the best bowlers in the world now and pathan is bowling quicker than he ever had touching 145 {my god he was bowling in the 120,s last season}

Well, I mentioned just a few.. Have you forgotten Munaf? The way he bowled to England in India, even the Indian skipper, Dravid mentioned in presentation ceremony, " We have Atlast found a fast bowler! " Then what happened? ;) And then about Zaheer, I hope you do remember that after his promising initial start to the career ( he impressed and was praised a lot by many including Steve Waugh ), he went down in his career and was off the team.. and then came back during one of the Pakistan series with a good tummy and was bowling crap ( He came as a super sub and was smashed all over ). Zaheer later worked on it though. Similarly, Pathan was rusted. He worked hard to get back. Agarkar.. Faster 50 wicket taker right? Has anyone here without cursing Agarkar? I don't think so!

So that was my point.. Indian pace bowlers have struggled in last some years have struggled very obviously after their promising or outstanding start to their careers.

To be short in a line, "This Ishant is still like a kid getting first rank in primary level schooling!" Still a long way to go and learn more stuffs. Its too early for Sharma to recieve a appraisal at higher levels like legend etc. :) May be you can call him, " Outstanding Starter! "

Last edited:
To be short in a line, "This Ishant is still like a kid getting first rank in primary level schooling!" Still a long way to go and learn more stuffs.

Yeah most kids do well in matriculation and then drugs, alchohol, eveteasing and girlfriends spoil them and they go downhill after that and then keep struggling rest of there life.

Drugs, alchohol, eveteasing and girlfriends in his case will be the media attention and ad contracts.

Just leave the kid. Hes 19. If I was his father I would have kicked out the mediamen coming in his house after every game. We dont need new jokes to be floating around like Sehwags mother had.

Okay,

He is 19, tall and a fine fast bowler. It is no surprise that the Indian media have gone insane in thinking that he is the great saviour to lead the attack since Kapil Dev hung up his boots. It is easy for many to label him in the same category as Irfan Pathan, Balaji and Munaf Patel in thinking that he will simply fade away after injury, returning with less pace and venom. However, few people actually take a look at his fitness in making this judgement. Ishant can bowl for eight or nine overs on end at a pace of 140kph and can return later in a match and do the same. He has superb muscle endurance. John Gloster noted that with the current international schedule, many Indian fast bowlers had to play with niggles, but India have so large of a pool of similarly talented fast bowlers, that they should rotate even in case of the slightest injury. Shame on all those comparing him to Irfan Pathan too. Pathan had an action which was very easy to lose the timing to but Ishant has a pretty orthodox action which he will not simply lose overnight.

A lot of neutral (non Indian) people on this forum seem to be noting that he is not all that special. However, watching over the highlights of the Test matches and ODIs, you will just see how much of a dangerous bowler he is. He has had Ricky Ponting, the best batsman in the world, in all sorts of strife in playing his full balls, his wide balls, his straight ones and his wide ones. In the Sydney Test, he truly had Ponting playing like a school boy. It is not just the Indian media who have praised him. Damien Fleming for one has tipped him to become the world's premier bowler.

However, it is not all smiley faces and roses for Ishant Sharma. It is very likely that he will not be the same dangerous bowler back in India. Indian pitches are naturally dead dustbowls and with Bhajji and Kumble in the side, it is unlikely that the BCCI will make a drastic effort to change that, yet. Ishant's will and determination will be tested against South Africa (and later, Sri Lanka) in India. This will be his truest test and most certainly his toughest. Comparing the bounce and venom that he can extract out of the pitch to Andre Nel and Dale Steyn will be the best show of his talent.

Well, I mentioned just a few.. Have you forgotten Munaf? The way he bowled to England in India,

The way that he was down to 78mph by the end of a long day? Yes, I do remember.

"Right now, he is probably the best bowler in the world."
Former Indian fast bowler Javagal Srinath rates Ishant Sharma, the rookie pacer

It is premature to make that judgement, but he is certainly entitled to make it.

I thought he looked pretty decent. Let's hope for India's sake that he doesn't do a Jimmy Anderson.

I don't think that Ishant will start concentrating more on his hair than his bowling;)

Last edited:
He is a star ATM, anyone who can get Ponting out in the manner he does it in, is obviously a very promising Cricketer.

Knowing the Indian bowlers, he will probably get injured and slowly fade away. But hopefully this won't happen as he looks far fitter than all the other pace bowlers we've had and also he bowls long spells which backs up his fitness.

just wait and watch i would say for those who think that he wont be a star.

Users who are viewing this thread