Italian Football Thread

Auwais

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Juve's setup is slightly different though. With Bonucci in a backline of three, they can afford to let him step up and play his long passes when Pirlo is under pressure.

Pirlo's been declining since the Euros anyway, Vidal has become Juve's focal point since last season.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well yes that's a fair point fellas. With Pogba stepping up alongside Vidal & Marchisio, Juve's mid-field certainly doesn't need Pirlo's presence like before to be a force.

Interesting times for the great man.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
The name is Totti. Francesco Totti. Where's PD who accused him of disappearing during the big games? :rolleyes

What a performance from Roma. Strootman already turning out to be a wondrous signing (never in doubt though), Gervinho getting increasingly better by the days, Florenzi with yet another monstrous performance - that third goal on the counter was an absolute thing of beauty.

Would be absolutely baffled if Totti and Florenzi aren't donning Azzurri colors at Brazil next year.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Yep, Roma looking unstoppable now. Putting away a team that won 7-0 a a couple of weeks ago is top stuff, and away from home as well. Very convincing.

At almost 38 after a huge season, will Totti be able to handle the World Cup eight years after retirement? Seems like a bit of a long shot, but I'd love to see him there as he is a fine player.

Gervinho in a good run of form is just plain unplayable. I still love the guy so great to see him successful now, maybe it was the change of headband that is the reason behind his rich vein of form?

Strootman is going to be huge.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Giuseppe Rossi lands Italy recall for World Cup qualifiers - ESPN FC

Welcome back to Rossi. Unusually big squad though from coach Prandelli.

quote said:
Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Marchetti (Lazio), Sirigu (Paris Saint-Germain).

Defenders: Abate (AC Milan), Astori (Cagliari), Balzaretti (Roma), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), De Silvestri (Sampdoria), Pasqual (Fiorentina), Ranocchia (Inter Milan).

Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), De Rossi (Roma), Diamanti (Bologna), Florenzi (Roma), Giaccherini (Sunderland), Marchisio (Juventus), Montolivo (AC Milan), Pirlo (Juventus), Poli (AC Milan), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint-Germain), Verratti (Paris Saint-Germain).

Forwards: Balotelli (AC Milan), Cerci (Torino), Gilardino (Genoa), Insigne (Napoli), Osvaldo (Southampton), Rossi (Fiorentina).

War

Chairman of Selectors
Would be absolutely baffled if Totti and Florenzi aren't donning Azzurri colors at Brazil next year.

Ye thats the dream. Having the ultimate Registra (Pirlo) & Triquartista (Totti) reunited for the Azzuri next year will be magical.

------------------Buffon----------------------------

---------Barzagli------Bonnuci-----Chellini-----------

Abate-----De Rossi-----Pirlo------Marchisio----Balzaretti/Pascal/De Sciglio

----------------------Totti------------------------------

-------------------------Balotelli-----------------------

POWERFUL team!

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
If it's a 3-5-2/3-5-1-1, I would a million times prefer Maggio/Candreva to Abate. Maggio is a different beast when he plays as a RWB, compared to the mediocre footballer he is at RB, in a four man defence line. Also would prefer Florenzi over Marchisio/Montolivo personally at midfield. De Sciglio will be a shoe in at LB as well.

War

Chairman of Selectors
If it's a 3-5-2/3-5-1-1, I would a million times prefer Maggio/Candreva to Abate. Maggio is a different beast when he plays as a RWB, compared to the mediocre footballer he is at RB, in a four man defence line. Also would prefer Florenzi over Marchisio/Montolivo personally at midfield. De Sciglio will be a shoe in at LB as well.

Cool on everything. I'm aware of what Florenzi is doing currently, but i thoght he was a winger mainly though.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Yep, primarily plays on the right of a "3" in a 4-2-3-1, but is more than capable playing as an AMC or on the left. Magnificent talent with a fiersome winning mentality

-------------Buffon-------------
Abate----Barzagli---Chiellini------De Sciglio
-------De Rossi-----Pirlo----------
Florenzi-------Totti-----------Rossi--
------------Balotelli--------------

Solid 4-2-3-1 XI this. Hope Prandelli experiments this soon, considering we've already qualified for the World Cup.

God knows if Totti and Balotelli will ever work together though, after that 'incident' a few years back (Inter v Roma) :lol

EDIT:

Prandelli would consider calling ?fantastic? Totti - Football Italia

:cheers

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
^^

Looks very good indeed.

Auwais

International Coach
I think the only way you'd realistically be able to accommodate both Pirlo and Totti in the same side is in a 4-3-3, with Totti as the false-9, something like this:

Buffon
Abate Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Pirlo
De Rossi Marchisio
Florenzi Totti Insigne

That way both have the necessary energy and movement around them to pick out or do the dirty work for them.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
maybe totally biased but I'd have to say that formation only works with Montolivo in instead of Pirlo, he offers more defensively than Pirlo and it's not sacrificing too much in creativity. I think Pirlo is only viable if he's flanked by Marchisio as well as De Rossi.

edit: that was in reference to haarithan, really like yours auwais, even as a milan fan I'd question balotelli's inclusion, he's been pretty good but his scoring rate has been heavily reliant on penalties.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I think the only way you'd realistically be able to accommodate both Pirlo and Totti in the same side is in a 4-3-3, with Totti as the false-9, something like this:

Buffon
Abate Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini
Pirlo
De Rossi Marchisio
Florenzi Totti Insigne

That way both have the necessary energy and movement around them to pick out or do the dirty work for them.

Ha all these line-ups looking good. Although i'd suggest you could probably still pick Balotelli in such a XI by placing on the left instead of Insigne. Hard to think that even if Totti comes back that Prandelli will not play Balotelli.

----------

. I think Pirlo is only viable if he's flanked by Marchisio as well as De Rossi.

Good point, he indeed needs those two next to him to be effective in recent years for club and country.

Auwais

International Coach
Would be funny if Totti was called up. I'm sure Mario hasn't forgotten that kick he received from him in 2010.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Ha exactly.

I was also thinking a 4-3-1-2 as this:

------------Buffon--------
Abate Barzagli Chiellini De Sciglio
---Florenzi--Pirlo--De Rossi-----
-----------Totti--------
---Balotelli------Rossi-----

Rossi after his injury has only really been effective as an out and out striker, so I think he could start upfront with Balotelli. And with Totti, you always know he's going to drop deeper and draw out defenders, giving Florenzi the much needed space on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread