Laptop Help IT WORKED!!!

DPRA

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok, A couple of months ago, we were on the Internet with AOL, and everything on my laptop was fine, I could connect to AOL and surf the web easily.

We have now since changed from AOL to Sky, I removed all the software to do with AOL, in order to Install Sky Broadband.

I managed to install Sky Broadband on my laptop, But I couldn't connect and surf the web wirelessly.

On the main computer, it is showing my laptop in the network, however, when you click explore, it says its not in the network.

On My laptop, when I go into the network section, It says Im not in any. However, my wireless connection is saying I am connected to the wireless router.

Also, my laptop says I can surf the internet. (the Blue thing in the bottom corner) and It says I am online, However, when I click on internet explorer it says im not connected, I then click "Diagnose this Problem" and it says there is nothing wrong with the connection and I am online.

However, I have not changed anything in the Internet options, so I don't know why all of a sudden I have gone from surfing it on AOL, to Not being able to on Sky.

I rang sky and they said its a problem with my laptop, but It isnt. My laptop can connect to the router, but the router won't send out the wireless single so I can surf the internet (Remember yet it said Im online!)

Is there any reason why it is doing this?

Any help would be really appreciated, as we have tried everything that Sky have said and It isnt working.

Thanks a lot.

Lee

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Ok.. I assume you are using Windows Vista.

Have you tried using some alternate browser? (Try Mozilla Firefox)

Try another thing.
Press the "Windows Logo Key" + R
This should open a run dialog box.
Type cmd and press enter.
Now type "ping www.google.com" (without the quotes) and press enter.
This will testify whether your internet connection is working or not.
If you receive a reply, then your internet is working fine. If there is a request timed out, that means your computer is not connected to the internet.
If you get any other message, please let us know.

If your laptop is connecting to the router, and it also shows the globe in the network connection, this signifies that the computer is connected to the internet. Could be a problem with the browser. I suggest that you try another browser, and the ping method.

DPRA

International Cricketer
Ok.. I assume you are using Windows Vista.

Have you tried using some alternate browser? (Try Mozilla Firefox)

Try another thing.
Press the "Windows Logo Key" + R
This should open a run dialog box.
Type cmd and press enter.
Now type "ping www.google.com" (without the quotes) and press enter.
This will testify whether your internet connection is working or not.
If you receive a reply, then your internet is working fine. If there is a request timed out, that means your computer is not connected to the internet.
If you get any other message, please let us know.

If your laptop is connecting to the router, and it also shows the globe in the network connection, this signifies that the computer is connected to the internet. Could be a problem with the browser. I suggest that you try another browser, and the ping method.

Yes I am on Vista.

I will try the Ping method in a bit, but I don't have firefox, I only have Internet Explorer that is Provided by Sky.

I have tried it and here are my results:

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled1-1.jpg

Untitled2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
you can download firefox and it's a lot better than IE anyway

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Looks like you've hit one of the bugger holes of Windows. Though it could be caused due to various causes, any chances you know how to uninstall / reinstall drivers? If you do, then try uninstalling your sky program, uninstalling your Wireless drivers, and install them again and then install the sky program again. Remember to restart the PC in this sequence. :)

DPRA

International Cricketer
Looks like you've hit one of the bugger holes of Windows. Though it could be caused due to various causes, any chances you know how to uninstall / reinstall drivers? If you do, then try uninstalling your sky program, uninstalling your Wireless drivers, and install them again and then install the sky program again. Remember to restart the PC in this sequence. :)

We have tried that.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
can i ask if sky is any better then AOL service?

I had AOL for 3 years, and it was legend.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Just a sidenote, if you DON'T have SP1 installed, then I would say install it. Fixes a hell lot of issues and I've heard it fixes lots of Wireless issues with Vista too. :)

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Then you don't have Vista SP1 installed. Since you can't use net on the laptop, you'll have to download and install the standalone installer. Its worth the effort IMO. Do it, it might just solve your prob. :)

Users who are viewing this thread