Learning to Bowl

bptuner

School Cricketer
I'm a fan of sports games, particularly some of EA sports titles(mma, golf, soccer, nfl) and I recently picked up Cricket 19 after watching most of this years CWC as the virtual emulation of real life sports is a great way to learn more about the game itself.

Anyway, I personally have played very little cricket in real life and while I do understand some fundamentals, there's a lot I just don't understand about cricket itself and its making my in-game experience frustrating, particularly bowling. As many people have told me, cricket is a very strategic game and it takes quite a long time to get a full understanding of the sport.

This being said, I played and watched very little soccer but I was able to learn to play FIFA 12 through YouTube videos, guides, forums, etc and those skills have transferred across FIFA titles. There is little to zero information about games mechanics or cricket itself via the game and theres even less user content that illustrates tips, tricks and general improve-your-game tactics.

I'm having the most trouble with bowling and while I understand don't just go for for the wickets, as you wouldn't try and slog every ball as a batter, I'm having trouble with effective variations. FYI I'm playing as a RF.

TLDR: Any suggestions where I can find resources to better improve my bowling that translate into Cricket 19? Taking what I see from real life bowlers can be hard to replicate in-game because interpreting it into the game's controls can be awkward.

Any advice appreciated!

tarrantino

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
I'm a fan of sports games, particularly some of EA sports titles(mma, golf, soccer, nfl) and I recently picked up Cricket 19 after watching most of this years CWC as the virtual emulation of real life sports is a great way to learn more about the game itself.

Anyway, I personally have played very little cricket in real life and while I do understand some fundamentals, there's a lot I just don't understand about cricket itself and its making my in-game experience frustrating, particularly bowling. As many people have told me, cricket is a very strategic game and it takes quite a long time to get a full understanding of the sport.

This being said, I played and watched very little soccer but I was able to learn to play FIFA 12 through YouTube videos, guides, forums, etc and those skills have transferred across FIFA titles. There is little to zero information about games mechanics or cricket itself via the game and theres even less user content that illustrates tips, tricks and general improve-your-game tactics.

I'm having the most trouble with bowling and while I understand don't just go for for the wickets, as you wouldn't try and slog every ball as a batter, I'm having trouble with effective variations. FYI I'm playing as a RF.

TLDR: Any suggestions where I can find resources to better improve my bowling that translate into Cricket 19? Taking what I see from real life bowlers can be hard to replicate in-game because interpreting it into the game's controls can be awkward.

Any advice appreciated!

Nice to see you found a cricket 19. Have a look at this thread https://www.planetcricket.org/forums/threads/bowling-issues.113179/#post-3351011

Gives a few things to learn. It’s about consistency. Don’t go changing the type of delivery every ball.

bptuner

School Cricketer
Thanks for the reply. Consistency is definitely the key, if anything constant variations gets every delivery carted. I made up a spreadsheet in Excel representing the stumps and pre-panned some of my overs using the diagram I made. Makes it a lot easier to develop an attack and has given me a better understanding of bowling in general. Its attached if anyone else would like to use it. I've included two patterns in there to show how its used: you put your shot number in each length and line slot and the area will change colour. Clearing the area will reset the colour back to the original for easily making a new stump attack. Play out your shots at your chosen length and line and observe the results!

Attachments

• BallPlacementV3.xlsx
    26.2 KB · Views: 44

chunky120717

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Great to have you onboard.

I was a bowler in real life, so for me it's the favourite part of the game. Even so, it's easy to slip into habits you had in real life and try to bowl too many variations of delivery (or even line/legnth) particularly in one day games.

There's this area called the "corridor of uncertainty" which works great in most formats. You send it down and aim to hit the top of off stump (the first one from the left). Most deliveries target this. There's always a possibility that the ball will move and catch the outside edge, or move the other way and rap the batsmen on the pad - you send down a variation of pace or seam movement to get this but you shouldn't do it all the time.

Sometimes in one day games when there's scoreboard pressure you can send down a slow/fast yorker at the base of the stumps that may get missed if they have a massive swing trying to get a boundary.
A big plus in the game is to be able to see the skill of the batsmen and what they are good at/not so good at. If I've got someone who is great at driving but weak at hooking/pulling (like baseball shots) I'll send down the odd over of shorter bowling with protection on that side of the field... might hit them a few times might loop one up to a fielder or they might miss the ball totally. If they take a blow or they miss I'll send a fuller one down they might nick off to, as I've found making them miss the ball produces a mistake next ball.

Equally if someone's good at driving I'll put a bit more protection out on that side and resist pitching the ball up too much, at least "generic" deliveries. I'll try to put a bit of something on them to angle it into the batsmen so if he attempts the drive and misses the ball will have moved enough to rap him on the pad or hit the stumps.

A trap I and many others fall into is to bowl too straight, I've noted particularly in T20 games the AI is pretty good at whipping it away on the leg side when you're too straight and full.

Users who are viewing this thread