making bowling more difficult?

gideon_swrd

Club Captain
[Couldn't find the answer on the forums so apologize if I didn't search thoroughly]

(fyi, I'm playing on the PS4 with patch 4)

I've set the bowling difficulty to "hardest" and dropped the value of the first two parameters (don't recall their names - they are to do with ideal window size) to "1", and the third parameter (spin difficulty) to 90. In spite of this, I find it terribly easy to get Perfect jump and Perfect release when bowling, even using bowlers with mediocre attributes (e.g. using a part-time bowler). What am I missing?

I'm wondering if the fact that it's so easy to bowl perfect deliveries makes it hard for the AI to bat/chase properly.

As others have noted, I found the AI to be most competitive on "Pro" especially when chasing. I've been playing mainly T20s. The AI was overly aggressive on "Veteran" or "Legend" and lost in some remarkably stupid ways when chasing low totals. However, it batted more sensibly on "Pro". Still, I find that it often has trouble getting away shots because it's so easy to bowl great deliveries.

Any other suggestions to make the game more competitive? Thanks

Turning off the hud would probably be the best bet. I did that on DBC14, I'm reluctant to do it on this version because of how delivery selection work for spinners (I might be wrong but I think it's different to 14) and to a lesser extent fast bowlers.

Okay, I was being unnecessarily harsh and in hindsight, quite silly. This is because the game just got much more competitive by increasing the opposing batsman's "judgment" attribute (the way to make bowling much harder is to make AI batting much easier - d'oh).

So that may be the sweet spot of making the game quite competitive:
1. Play on "Pro" difficulty (as AI is overly aggressive on higher difficulties)
2. Set the bowling difficulty to "hardest" and modify sliders from their default setting to make it as hard as possible if you find it easy to bowl perfect deliveries
3. Up the 'judgement' attribute on the opposing batsmen. I found that even if the batsman was rated an overall 80, judgment used to be in 60s. I upped the judgment about 15-20 points, and noticed an immediate improvement. The AI batsmen took much better risks overall, accelerated when needed as I was playing T20s, yet played cautiously after losing wickets.

I still have to do more play tests to see if this is just not my confirmation bias/wishful thinking at work here, and haven't tested AI chasing yet, but in a couple of T20s, when batting first, the AI which previously could not cross 140, reached 168 and 180, while batting quite sensibly.

Okay, I was being unnecessarily harsh and in hindsight, quite silly. This is because the game just got much more competitive by increasing the opposing batsman's "judgment" attribute (the way to make bowling much harder is to make AI batting much easier - d'oh).

So that may be the sweet spot of making the game quite competitive:
1. Play on "Pro" difficulty (as AI is overly aggressive on higher difficulties)
2. Set the bowling difficulty to "hardest" and modify sliders from their default setting to make it as hard as possible if you find it easy to bowl perfect deliveries
3. Up the 'judgement' attribute on the opposing batsmen. I found that even if the batsman was rated an overall 80, judgment used to be in 60s. I upped the judgment about 15-20 points, and noticed an immediate improvement. The AI batsmen took much better risks overall, accelerated when needed as I was playing T20s, yet played cautiously after losing wickets.

I still have to do more play tests to see if this is just not my confirmation bias/wishful thinking at work here, and haven't tested AI chasing yet, but in a couple of T20s, when batting first, the AI which previously could not cross 140, reached 168 and 180, while batting quite sensibly.
The judgement attribute helped. The AI seems to bat pretty well after increasing it to 80. I did it for Hashim Amla and he scored 90 odd in a T20 match.
I increased certain batting attributes as well.

Sadly, this was a false alarm when it came to chasing. AI was as thick as ever in spite of the judgment attribute. It seems batting style (conservative, precise, balanced, aggressive, brute) predominated judgement and took no regard of the match situation. Oh well. Still upping the judgment makes matches somewhat more competitive..

IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG

This is with judgement at 90 plus for all batsmen and one Innings with it down to Philander.

One is cloud one is fine weather.

My bowlers are rated no more than 72 in both innings.

Baring in mind I normally have them 160-250 all out this is a big change!

View attachment 193825 View attachment 193824

This is with judgement at 90 plus for all batsmen and one Innings with it down to Philander.

One is cloud one is fine weather.

My bowlers are rated no more than 72 in both innings.

Baring in mind I normally have them 160-250 all out this is a big change!
what difficulties? with the bowling hud?

Increasing the judgement to 90 does make the AI harder to get out and they get more mileage for their shots. The only problem is their inability to consider the match situation, which manifests in weird/sad results -- e.g. the AI will need 10 runs to win in the last over, hit a six off the first ball and then defend the next 5 balls.
I don't play test matches (need to get more time to play!) but I suspect it should be much more competitive there

Users who are viewing this thread