Martin Guptill has only two toes on one of his feet!!!

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
"At age 13, Guptill was involved in a forklift truck accident and lost three toes. When he was in the hospital, his father asked Jeff Crowe if a New Zealand player could visit him. Stephen Fleming, the then New Zealand captain, visited him at the hospital the next day.
This fact was revealed to the world by state teammate Scott Styris whilst Styris was commentating on Guptill's ODI debut. This has since earned Guptill the nickname "Two Toes" within the Black Caps team
"

Source- Wikipedia

What a tough character this kid is.
Hats off to him.
This is so touching..:crying:crying:crying

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah they made a big deal about this after he scored that century on debut.

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
It is a big deal mate!!!
This guy is a lion hearted warrior.
This story deserves to be told to the entire world!!!

Sartaj

Panel of Selectors
Why not mate???
He was involved in a MAJOR truck accident!!!

bcvstheworld added 1 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

being shot by terrorists and then returning to play international cricket within months >>>> a forklift accident 10 years ago.

I agree to some extent but they didn't lose a part of their body.Did they?

Ari

International Cricketer
I think its more of a surprise that he is still one of the quickest players out there.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
not really

being shot by terrorists and then returning to play international cricket within months >>>> a forklift accident 10 years ago.

Really :sarcasm you both think, its very easy to cope with it ?? Your shoes get supported by your toes and when its missing its not easy to walk on it. Guptill is a a great runner and its really amazing to see that he is doing without the help of his other toes.

irottev

School Cricketer

I disagree totally. That shooting was indeed a horrible thing, but it's mental, not physical. The injuries were minor, it's not like it's something that hinders their ability to play.

What's impressive with Guptill is that I believe he was told he wouldn't play cricket again. Turns out he put a lot of work in and managed to overcome a lot of the issues with balance and speed etc. He's so quick along the ground easily one of the best fielders in the country. Definite respect for him. To make the top team with a disability is a huge thing, especially a game all about footwork and balance.

Last edited:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
It's not that bad, it's bad but toes are up there with the most useless bits on your body. Wonder if he has different size shoes.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
fact: you only need your big toe for balance.

it's not that bad compared to some of the stuff other cricketers have dealt with, i'm pretty sure ntini and prince would trade 3 toes not to have spent their formative years dedicating themselves to a game in a society that segregated and isolated them on the basis of their colour. not to get all melo-drama or anything but really, some perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread