Matt Murray - Should be England's No1

wolf

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I will make my point. This guy is outstanding. He commands his area and he is an excellent shot stopper. Compare him to the other goalkeepers.

Paul 'I stay on my line and I am not a good enough shot stopper' Robinson
Ben 'I got beatan by and 88 metre punt by Robinson, and I do a few good saves and now I am a contender for England' Foster.
Scott 'When have I ever impressed anyone?' Carson.
Chris 'Carbon copy of Carson' Kirkland.
Robert 'Why am I even being considered?' Green.

Matt is the best goalkeeper in England. The only thing that is holding him back is he is playing in the Championship. Ray Clemence, England's goalkeeping coach "He needs to be playing in the Premiership to be considered." I can understand that for an outfield player, but what does it matter if you are a 'keeper? And I seem to remember Green going to Euro 2004 after a season in the Championship.

Any thoughts anyone?

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
who does Matt Murray play for? Also i trhink it's a little harsh to have a go at Carson and Foster when they are only about 20 and goalkeepers are supposed to get better with age,plus Fosters had to have Watfords defence :p Did you forget David James or are you a fan?

JamesyJames3

International Coach
I've seen quite a bit of Matt Murray, but I rate Foster and Carson much higher.

To answer your question when has Carson impressed - Premiership season 2006-2007

Ben Foster gets beat by one unlucky on his behalf goal, so what?

themuel1

International Coach
JamesyJames3 said:
I've seen quite a bit of Matt Murray, but I rate Foster and Carson much higher.

To answer your question when has Carson impressed - Premiership season 2006-2007

Ben Foster gets beat by one unlucky on his behalf goal, so what?

Foster is the future. He has been outstanding at Watford this season and will have many years of success at United.

wolf

International Cricketer
Foster has not been outstanding. He has done a few good saves, as you would expect from a person who has faced so many shots.

Fox - Murray plays for Wolves. And no I had not forgotten James, but I had thought he had retired, and even if he hasn't, we need to look to the future.

And Carson has not impressed me in the slightest this season.

PhilD123

International Coach
To be honest, look at the quality of teams Murray has played against this season. Foster, has done pretty well with an awful Watford back 4 in front of him this season. Yeah sure, he made a mistake, Shittu (God, I hope thats not censored:p), could have done something with it, but instead left it to Foster who got unlucky with the bounce. Carson's done decently for Charlton this season.

So, to add to your list...

Matt 'If I'm so good, why am I not playing in the Premiership' Murray:D

themuel1

International Coach
wolf said:
Foster has not been outstanding. He has done a few good saves, as you would expect from a person who has faced so many shots.

Fox - Murray plays for Wolves. And no I had not forgotten James, but I had thought he had retired, and even if he hasn't, we need to look to the future.

And Carson has not impressed me in the slightest this season.

A few good saves.....You obviously haven't seen much of Watford this season. Aidy Bothroyd has admitted that Foster has kept them in most games this year. Murray needs to play Prem footie to be considered. It seems unfair but he needs to be against quality opposition each week and at Wolves, he isn't.

I haven't even heard of Murray being talked about for an England cap. Whilst were at it, why don't we put Mcsheffry in the squad, hes had a good season!

Last edited:

wolf

International Cricketer
Well I think Matt Murray being watched 7 or 8 times by Ray Clemence this season means he is being considered.

Why would a 'keeper need to be playing in the Premiership? You can tell if someone is a good 'keeper no matter where they are playing. They still have difficult shots to save.

Murray is not in the Premiership because he has been injured for the last 3 seasons, he played in our promotion winning season, played in our first match in the Premiership, then got injured playing for England U21's during the week, and has then played only 4 more times in the next 3 seasons. He came back for us at the start of this season.

For Robinson goal you say he got unlucky with the bounce? I think the general idea is to catch the ball before it bounces. You also blame Shittu, but Foster called for him to leave it, then left it himself.

Also, I would have said Murray was a better 'keeper than Foster even if it that Robinson goal had not happened, I have been saying it all season.

themuel1

International Coach
Well, taking your opinion into consideration...your an idiot! :p

Nah:D , I think Foster is a brilliant keeper. Schmiechael made mistakes and your not going to deny he was one of the best goalies in the history of the sport.

PhilD123

International Coach
wolf said:
Why would a 'keeper need to be playing in the Premiership? You can tell if someone is a good 'keeper no matter where they are playing. They still have difficult shots to save.
Yeah, but they dont face the better more talented strikers in the Championship. If he was that good he would have been snapped up in the January Transfer Window.

wolf said:
Murray is not in the Premiership because he has been injured for the last 3 seasons, he played in our promotion winning season, played in our first match in the Premiership, then got injured playing for England U21's during the week, and has then played only 4 more times in the next 3 seasons. He came back for us at the start of this season.
Surely, 3/4 of a season in the Championship isn't enough for someone to be called up for England.

Sureshot

Executive member
Fosters the best English goalie atm imo, David James isn't too far off but everyone hates him so he has no chance.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
The reason you want to see a goalkeeper playing in the premiership before he gets called up, is because the pressure when playing in goal is often the defining factor in their success. David James is one of the most naturally talented goalkeepers about, yet mentally he just isn't strong enough, at premiership level he is these days top notch, but he has never been able to apply that to international football.

The same goes for Murray, he may well be technically world class, but playing for a rather average Wolves side is not going to be testing the side of his game that makes or breaks talented players.

wolf

International Cricketer
puddleduck said:
but playing for a rather average Wolves side

:mad I see what you are saying though, but nothing will faze big Matt.

David Nugent in the England squad - Hmm now what division is he from?

Steve Bull played for England while he was playing in the old Third Division, and went to the World Cup in 1990.

Users who are viewing this thread