Michael Jordan

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't want to sound like a bitch but I am pretty sure I know a little more than you about NFL, NBA, MLB.

How do you know? Are you the one whose been asked to write an article for a basketball website? Well Vineet has.

Anyway the "greatest" player debate in any sport can not be proved with statistics. It is an entirely subjective thing, all opinions, nothing else!

To say "so and so is the greatest player of all time" is solely an opinion. Everybody has their own opinion. I think Garfield Sobers is the greatest cricketer of all time, some may say Don Bradman, some WG Grace and some may say others.

You can use statistics to say "so and so got the most runs, the most 3 point shots, the most goals, the most assists, the most base hits, the most wickets, the most RBI's, the most touchdowns, the most strike-outs, the best batting average, the most yards run, the best ERA, the best bowling average, etc.

You can not use stats to "prove" who the greatest player of all time is.

Stats can't also show "talent". eg. George Best is one of the most talented soccer players of all time but how many World Cup goals did he score? He didn't even play in the World Cup. But he is still one of the best players ever.

Those who played against Bart King say he was one of best bowlers they ever faced, but his Test boiwling average? Didn't play a test cos he was from the USA.

All I will end by saying is this

Picking someone else as the All Time Greatest Player in NBA over JORDAN

Is Like

Having an OPINION

P

Paki Lover

Originally posted by andrew_nixon79@Apr 18 2003, 04:28 PM
How do you know? Are you the one whose been asked to write an article for a basketball website? Well Vineet has.
Well Which website is it?
ESPN Or CBS?
Since he knows a lot about b-ball, its funny how he got Wilt's Stats way wrong.
Did Vineet get paid to write that article??
There are over million websites, I can make up a Website right now and write an Article on Basketball. Will that make you happy?

First of all I live in US. I grew up Watching these sports everyday and following my team. I don't have to pay for Satellite dish to get games on TV. I can go to live Games. I grew up watching these players play. I have seen many of my Fav. players play many times. I know each player, which teams he played for in College, pro teams and so on. I can name you the Starting Players from all NBA teams. I can name every starting RB from all NFL teams, I can name most starting Baseball players from all teams.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
I can name you the Starting Players from all NBA teams. I can name every starting RB from all NFL teams, I can name most starting Baseball players from all teams.

So? All that shows is that you've got a good memory.

I can watch live NHL, MLB and NFL games on TV in England.

But the fact that you know all these things does not give you the right to say that a player is the best. It is still your opinion. It can NEVER be a fact.

Since you will probably ask at some point, heres my list of what I THINK are the "greatest" in a few sports. ANybody can debate all they want, it is just my OPINION. I am not claiming any of these as "defintely the greatest, and thats a fact"

Basketball: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Cricket: Sir Garfield Sobers
Soccer: George Best
Baseball: Babe Ruth/Ty Cobb/Noel Ryan (tie)
American Football: Don't watch enough (and anyway its just Rugby for wimps :D )
Ice Hockey: Wayne Gretsky

Of course you may have a different opinion. I could find stats for each of these players, but that proves nothing when you're talking about talent. Saying "so and so is a better player than that guy" is like saying Hendrix is a better guitar player than Jimmy Page, Lennon is better than McCartney or Bach is better than Mozart. Its just an OPINION!

A

Admin

WHAT?????????

Prove those wonderfult stats

.990 FG%? ?

The highest FG% Wilt ever had was his last year with .727%

.741%, .934%, .990%
Wonderful Numbers but mooo! near Impossible and also False.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/chamber...lain_stats.html

QUOTE (Admin @ Apr 18 2003, 11:28 AM)
Imagine a college player coming into the NBA next season and scoring 5157 points and averaging 64.5 ppg.? Then the following season he scores 5776 points while averaging 65.8 ppg.? Then the next season he scores 7670 points and averages 86.2 ppg.?

Are you talking about Wilt or someone Else?

Your Stats are totally wrong.

But 86.2 PPG and 64.5 PPG sure do sound nice.

I have one question for you. Do you understand English ?

I repeat what I said. Read it carefully this time.

Those numbers are what someone coming into the league today would have to register to change the existing records by the same percentage increases that Wilt Chamberlain did.

Those are not his averages. Its a concept called proportion.

If you still dont get it ask and I'll explain it to you <_<

I don't want to sound like a bitch but I am pretty sure I know a little more than you about NFL, NBA, MLB.

No you only sound like a presumptious idiot. And you're the guy who said Oscar was 7 feet tall right ? Nice.

I don't have to pay for Satellite dish to get games on TV. I can go to live Games. I grew up watching these players play. I have seen many of my Fav. players play many times. I know each player, which teams he played for in College, pro teams and so on. I can name you the Starting Players from all NBA teams. I can name every starting RB from all NFL teams, I can name most starting Baseball players from all teams.

And thats supposed to make you special ? Sad that you have to resort to such feeble arguments.

As I kept saying I'm just putting forward my case why Jordan isn't the best. I tried to present some rational arguments to support my case. If you dont agree with it, fine. There's no need to get your panties in a bunch mate.

Oh...and I used to live in New York for 7 years and was an NBA season
ticket holder. Just thought I'd mention that.

A

Admin

And Andrew there's no way Hendrix was better than Page man :D :lol:

Seriously, have you heard Jeff Beck play ? He was just an awesome guitarist !

P

Paki Lover

Originally posted by Admin@Apr 18 2003, 05:48 PM
WHAT?????????

Prove those wonderfult stats

.990 FG%? ?

The highest FG% Wilt ever had was his last year with .727%

.741%, .934%, .990%
Wonderful Numbers but mooo! near Impossible and also False.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/chamber...lain_stats.html

QUOTE (Admin @ Apr 18 2003, 11:28 AM)
Imagine a college player coming into the NBA next season and scoring 5157 points and averaging 64.5 ppg.? Then the following season he scores 5776 points while averaging 65.8 ppg.? Then the next season he scores 7670 points and averages 86.2 ppg.?

Are you talking about Wilt or someone Else?

Your Stats are totally wrong.

But 86.2 PPG and 64.5 PPG sure do sound nice.

I have one question for you. Do you understand English ?

I repeat what I said. Read it carefully this time.

Those numbers are what someone coming into the league today would have to register to change the existing records by the same percentage increases that Wilt Chamberlain did.

Those are not his averages. Its a concept called proportion.
PLEASE DO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SAY BECAUSE I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT?

You have lived in US for 7 years and I have lived here for 20 years.

Why can't you just face the fact that I might know more that you do about American sports because I live here and watch these sports everyday? How many Regular season games (NBA) have you watched in Australia?

P

Paki Lover

Do you have Instant Messanger Service?
So we chat 1 on 1 some time and argue about some NBA, NFL,MLB

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
He means exactly what he said. The figures he gave are the figures someone would have to get to increase the records by the same percentage Wilt Chamberlain did.

An example:-

Lets say the record number of goals scored during the soccer season is 40.

Someone comes along and scores 60 goals in the season. This is a 50% increase.

For someone to increase the record by the same percentage they would have to score 90 goals.

Basic mathematics.

P

Paki Lover

Call me stupid, but I still don't get it. Can you explain it using PPG and FG%.

Andrew its great that you watch NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL games on your team live, But how many do you watch everyday? Do you know the season storylines in NBA this season or MLB and so on? I am sure you guys watch these sports but I live here and watch it everday. I am 100% sure that you guys know more about Cricket and Soccer because I don't follow those sports that much. And I am 100% sure I know a lot about American Sports.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
I'm guessing they're American Football stats and I don't know much about that particular sport, I just watch it if its on.

Seen as you're a basketball fan, I'll try and explain it using that.

Lets say the record for number of points in a game by one player is 60

Player X comes along and scores 90 points in a game. This is an increase of 50% (half of 60 is 30, 60+30=90)

For Player Y to increase the record by the same percentage (or proportion if you prefer) they would need to score those 90 points PLUS another 50% of that. ie 90+45, which is 135 points.

I don't know what the schooling system is like in the States, but I learnt this basic maths at the age of 10.

For your next point, on standard UK TV, we get 1 or 2 NHL games a week, depending on the part of the season, along with the all-star game and all Stanley Cup games. The same for MLB, 1 or 2 games, all-star game and World Series. For NFL we get the Monday night game, plus the Superbowl and the occasional Sunday night game.

However they're on at 1am UK time, so when you're working the next day its hard to watch them. Coverage is pretty poor over here so you don't get the full ideas of the season story, but you get an idea. I may not be able to tell you much about Micheal Jordan, but I can tell you that the Wizards aren't that good a team :D

It's interesting to note that each of these sports have more live games on UK TV a year than cricket. And if you add them all together, theres more games than soccer, the national sport!

P

Paki Lover

I get the part of scoring 60 pts in 1 game and then scoring 90 pts is 50% increase. But what does that have to do with 64.5 PPG and then 86 PPG and the college player taking too many shots so he increase his FG%?? (Smoking *eed does kill your brain cells.)

You guys get 1-2 MLB, NFL, NBA games over in Europe and I get to watch about 20-30 Games each week of MLB, 15-20 NBA games each week, 7-8 NFL games each week. Not to mention Everday Sportscenter and Weekly shows that tell fans what's going on in the league. Since I have been watching these games and shows for the past 13 some years. That's why I think I know more about American Sports than you guys do. If we talk about Man. United Soccer team and Newcastle United team. Only thing I would know is that Beckman is good player on MU (BUTT is my Fav because of his name), and MU defeated NU 6-1 during their last match. I got to see it live over here but that does mean I know more than you in English Premier Soccer League. Do you get what I am saying?

Sanju

Club Cricketer
I like shaq more than joordon
Shaquille O'Neal - Profile

Height: 7-1
Weight: 338
Position: Center
Born: March 6, 1972 (Newark, New Jersey)
College: Louisiana State '92
High School: Cole (San Antonio, TX)
Residence: Beverly Hills
Years pro:11
How Acquired: Signed by the Lakers as a free agent on July 18, 1996

Shaquille's Current/Career Bests
STATISTICS 2002-2003 SEASON CAREER
Points 42 @ L.A. Clippers 3/17/03 61 @ L.A. Clippers 3/06/00
F.G. Made 16 vs. Minnesota 3/07/03 24 @ L.A. Clippers 3/06/00
F.G. Attempted 27 @ Memphis 11/29/02 40 @ Washington 3/22/96
3-pt F.G. Made None 1 vs. Milwaukee 2/16/96
3-pt F.G. Attempted None 1 - 20 Times
F.T. Made 12 - 4 Times 19 vs. Chicago 11/19/99
F.T. Attempted 19 - 2 Times 31 vs. Chicago 11/19/99
Off. Rebounds 8 - 3 Times 14 - 2 Times
Def. Rebounds 13 - 2 Times 18 - 4 Times
Total Rebounds 17 - 2 Times 28 @ New Jersey 11/20/93

P

Paki Lover

I hate O'Neal.
He needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut.

By the way Insha, How come you like O'Neal?? You said All American sports are stupid. :lol: Just Joking

Below is a Cool Pic I found surfing the net today.

Rocky

Club Cricketer
Hi guys
I agree wid insha o neal is the best.Jordon is a joker :P .

Users who are viewing this thread