Mickey Arthur Resigns

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Mickey Arthur had resigned as South Africa coach following a breakdown in his relationship with captain Graeme Smith, according to reports in the media. The reports say former South African fast bowler Corrie van Zyl has been appointed caretaker coach and will be in charge of the team for the two-Test and three-ODI tour of India next month....

Read more here

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
WOW! Completely out of left field, he's given up rein of a winning outfit and perhaps the best one in the world, on the edge of one of the biggest tours in recent history.

Shocked.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
There must be more to it than meets the eye. Something big has definitely happened.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Too much emphasis given to this coach role in International cricket. :p

baggy_blogger

News Team Member
Most classic news I've heard this week. I'm really not that surprised.
I think Arthur is arrogant & I have never liked his body language or the pissy fits he has when things don't go his teams way. Smith is unbelievably dull and I fail to see in his personality trait what is so inspiring about him. Really solid batsman though and that is probably the key.
If anyone of this crew should stay no doubt it would be Smith.

Of course something big happened, seems him and Smith had a fall out although I'd like to hear the real deal. Not the first time Smith has had a fall out with someone internally and this is why I could see these guys having some kind of a fallout, although we have no facts of course. As for Corrie van Zyl, not a bad move for the moment.
Arthur will probably make some come back. CSA will lay down some offers.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Arthur was laughing at Cook when he got out saying he has no brain. No wonder he was on wrong book of Smith who is as arrogant as it gets in cricket.

Robelinda

International Coach
I'm not surprised at all, they havent been winning much at all the last 12 months, and their tactics and on field displays have been poor, or at least not what they shouldve been after they beat Aus last summer. Seems like they dont feel comfortable. Plus Arthur is bit of a tool, his histrionics in the viewing area that is shown on tv make him out to be an arrogant tosser.

King Cricket

International Coach
Shocking!

Yes, Arthur might have been an arrogant tool and all, but resigning just before a tour which holds such type of an immense significance...!

baggy_blogger

News Team Member
I'm not surprised at all, they havent been winning much at all the last 12 months, and their tactics and on field displays have been poor, or at least not what they shouldve been after they beat Aus last summer. Seems like they dont feel comfortable. Plus Arthur is bit of a tool, his histrionics in the viewing area that is shown on tv make him out to be an arrogant tosser.

Nice to see I'm not the only bloke here who noted this.

stefan

International Coach
Arthur has never really been rated by SA fans. Smith has his up and downs with the public but has the respect which arthur doesn't. Barnes also got sacked which will please donald and fanie de villiers , both have been critical of him as bowling coach for a while.

Snape is the only one of the mangement team who kept his job. Word is the selectors will get sacked after the indian tour as well.

Early speculation is Kepler Wessels will be the new coach, with Snape also being mentioned.

Not great ahead of the indian tour but van zyl is an experienced coach and has been involved with most of these players before.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
It's not as a big a surprise as some people make it out to be. South Africa has not being great over the last 12 months and Arthur was never an ideal coach. He was lucky to become coach and as stefan said, he wasn't that well liked.

stefan

International Coach
Going be interesting to see who puts their names up for the job. Last time we had something like 2/3 aussies on the short list. I think guys like richard pybus will be in contention.

Users who are viewing this thread