Miscellaneous Football Thread

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
the format increase to 24 teams is a different issue, which I can't decide about really, selfishly it makes it realistic that scotland will qualify so I'm ok about it but I don't think we really needed more teams to work. the increased number in games though will definitely suit a multi country event, there would be danger of burn out and spectator interest dwindling.

europe wise, yes, there's no denying that having it one country would be cheaper for fans following one team (unless it was in russia and they were scheduling games off the coast of japan then in moscow the next week). but it can definitely be done sensibly 4 centres based around 3 stadiums. athens/istanbul/sofia, glasgow/dublin/cardiff, budapest/bucharest/prague, helsinki/copenhagen/stockholm. alternatively you could just splash it about everywhere, it would mean that no matter where you were, there would be at least one game where it was feasible to see your team. if it was played in turkey this year, that's a pretty long trek for a german fan, but if it was played all over then you'd easily be able to catch a game when they played in one of the scandanavian countries next door. so it depends if you want to cater to diehard fans or increase the accesibility.

it is worth remembering this is a one off, some fans it will suit, some it won't. just like every major tournament. it's impossible for it to open it up to every demographic (for example, the olympics in 2012 were cheaper for every european to attend than the beijing one, but the beijing one was cheaper for everyone in asia, no group should matter more than another all the time). in the last 30 years someone in one of the smaller cities has been in the position where they will have had to pay flights and accomodation if they want to see a game at a euro or world cup. someone from france, germany, portugal, holland, italy, england, etc has had the opportunity to see the same by simply travelling to the nearest major city.

I think it's a really good idea, and one which I hope they insert into the rotation in some form every now and again to keep things fresh.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The 24 teams is bad bad bad bad bad. It ain't broken don't fix it. Euro's have been brilliant with 16 teams, Plantini's dumb idea is all about increasing uefa money. And with the suggestion of merging the europa league/champions league is another example of his lunacy.

The only thing i'm given the idea of possibly changing the euro's format from hosting it in one country, is the legitimate concern that in these rough financial times it could be difficult for all euro countries - much less the big nations.

But the idea for the T20 format, every way i think of it doesn't make sense for the reasons you said or gary neville mentioned in the daily mail: Either Manchester City or United will win the Barclays Premier League title: Gary Neville | Mail Online

quote said:
UEFA president Michel Platini has suggested that the Euro 2020 Championship will be in a multitude of countries rather than in one or two host nations.
I think we need to hear the details before we form a fixed view as to whether it can be a success or not.
Because if it's a tournament that takes place in six different cities within an hour's flight of one another, then it could be incredibly successful.
Imagine London, Cardiff, Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels and Dortmund being the host cities.
That would be easier to manage for all fans and for teams than the tournaments we've been at recently in South Africa or the Ukraine and Poland and certainly more condensed than the Brazil 2014 World Cup
But if, for political reasons, Platini ends up giving games to Istanbul, Moscow, London, Reykjavik, Lisbon and Rome, you are talking about a fad.
All of those cities would be perfectly good hosts on their own.
But the geographical spread would make it a nightmare for players and fans.
I know what I expect to happen. But let's hope that UEFA can salvage a good idea out of this.

Don't see the logic. Why do this when you can just make the euro finals an extension of the euro qualifiers and champions league. Keep the same 16 teams & 4 groups. But instead everyone would play each other home/away. And it would run over the course of a football season along with the club c-league.

Every country that way will get the euro experience that way still, much easier travelling for fans since it is done for c-league every season & cheaper for uefa.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
See no International Football thread, so I assume this goes here?

Francisco "Isco" Alarcon, Cesar Azpilicueta get Spain call ups - ESPN FC

Spain's full squad: Valdes (Barcelona), Reina (Liverpool); Ramos (Real Madrid), Pique (Barcelona), Puyol (Barcelona), Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Alba (Barcelona), Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Monreal (Arsenal); Iniesta (Barcelona ), Fabregas (Barcelona), Busquets (Barcelona), Cazorla (Arsenal), Xavi (Barcelona), Isco (Malaga), Alonso (Real Madrid), Silva (Man City), Mata (Chelsea), Pedro (Barcelona); Negredo (Sevilla), Villa (Barcelona).

Azpilicueta > Arbeloa surely?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
See no International Football thread, so I assume this goes here?

Francisco "Isco" Alarcon, Cesar Azpilicueta get Spain call ups - ESPN FC

Spain's full squad: Valdes (Barcelona), Reina (Liverpool); Ramos (Real Madrid), Pique (Barcelona), Puyol (Barcelona), Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Alba (Barcelona), Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Monreal (Arsenal); Iniesta (Barcelona ), Fabregas (Barcelona), Busquets (Barcelona), Cazorla (Arsenal), Xavi (Barcelona), Isco (Malaga), Alonso (Real Madrid), Silva (Man City), Mata (Chelsea), Pedro (Barcelona); Negredo (Sevilla), Villa (Barcelona).

Azpilicueta > Arbeloa surely?

You could have probably put this is the spanish football thread, but its cool.

Yes i would think Azpilicueta would have done enough to play ahead of Arbeloa @ right back. Him and Alba down the opposite flanks would be lethal.

But now that Puyol is fit, it will be interesting to see if Del Bosque resumes the trusted Puyol/Pique central defensive partnership. Since if he does that, that will likely mean Ramos will play right-back & both arbeloa n cesar aziplli will be on the bench.

Reckon Michu is also playing well enough to make the team ahead of Negredo also. Arteta over isco as well, despite his age.

But ha as we all know, spain just stink with world-class options everywhere.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
We're starting to see him score from outside the box again. This is because he's gotten a run of games to improve his fitness. Earlier in the season (and indeed his last 2 seasons which have been plagued by injuries), he was always closed down by defenders because he was not playing at a fast enough tempo. But now he's getting up to speed (literally) and getting some shots away.

Really excited about this kid. He is going to be genuinely world class. If he can just add some goals to his game- because his finishing is horrendous- then I'd have no qualms about giving him a serious go in that #10 position. His vision is superb, as is his touch. He dribbles past defenders with ease, with the ball very close to his feet. I'm more excited about him than Sterling tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India

Best. Interview. Ever. What a ----.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I remember watching it live, still think yellow and red cards should be wiped before the final, too harsh on the players IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread