MMA/UFC Thread

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Surprised we've not got a thread for this, so thought I'd make one :D. I've not been a UFC fan for long, first time I'd watched any UFC action was UFC 92, but I'm not obsessed by it. In the past few weeks I've tried to watch as much MMA action as possible. Been watching quite a few of Minatauro Nogeuira's fights on Youtube, and he's probably my favourite fighter, there are a few other guys that I like watching as well though, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, Diego Sanchez, Rashad Evans, Rich Franklin and Georges St Pierre.

It's one of the greatest sports I've ever seen. It's a brilliant mix of pure boxing, Jui Jitsu and other forms of martial arts. I just love the pure brutality, some of the vicious ground and pound is just so exciting to watch. I also love the way the guys beat the living crap out of eachother but maintain fantastic respect for eachother. The opening bout of UFC 93 was a perfect example of this, Davis and Lytle had fantastic respect for eachother.

Nice to see a former WWE favourite, in Brock Lesnar doing well as well. Really looking forward to seeing Lesnar-Mir as I'm yet to have seen Brock in action, other than highlights of his title winning fight against Couture. Brock's just got such a dominating presence over alot of the Heavyweight guys in the UFC, he's just so strong and powerful.

It's rumoured that Kurt Angle wants to do some sort of MMA training as well, he's easily the best pro wrestler in the world, so I don't see why he couldn't give MMA a go, it's just a matter of finding time, he'd probably have to do it in the next 2 years, possibly after his TNA contract ends. Would love to see Angle in the UFC, not going to happen though I don't think.

Any other fans on here?

Last edited:

sledger

Banned
Online Cricket Games Owned
Am doubtful as to how Angle would stand up in terms of pro fighting, his body is pretty much ruined and addled with pain killers these days, that said his work load would be much reduced if he were to make such a career move, so you never know.

Also I would suggest that Lesnar will drop the UFC world title as soon as he gets a decent challenger.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
He beat Couture, and was very unlucky against Mir, or so the commentators seem to have suggested. If they're not good enough opposition, then I'm not sure who is. Couture's one of the legends of the sport, and one of the big legends of UFC, and although he was past his best Lesnar still beat him. Mir did look good against Nog though, was very impressive with his boxing, and managed to still maintain his cardio into the 2nd round, which has been one of Mir's big problems. Really looking forward to Lesnar-Mir, Lesnar's worked incredibly hard to continually improve his MMA skills, and will be very detirmined to avenge the loss to Mir in Lesnar's 2nd MMA Fight. Shouldn't be too far away either, UFC 97 is a big possibility according to Dana White.

I'd like to see Lesnar-Fedor as well, Fedor would probably win, but it'd be a heck of a battle.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
UFC is great. It does so much the right way. Can't wait for UFC 94, it will be class. I hope Penn wins although personally I think that GSP will. If GSP does win then he could fight Silva which would be alright, nice to have another win on Andersons record :D

I would like to take up MMA, my boxing skills would be a pretty good start especially as I'm pretty good at it if I do say so myself, better than football and cricket anyway :p. I know a lad who did it at uni for a while and said it was great, course they asked him to pay and like most students he decided it wasn't for him when money became involved :D

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
GSP will win I reckon. He's class from what I've seen of him, and a GSP-Anderson Silva fight would certainly be one to really look forward to. Was a little disappointed with the UFC 93 card, weren't really many real big names except Coleman and then the 2 main eventers, Franklin and Henderson. UFC 92, the first event I saw was awesome, Rashad Evans, Nogeuira, Frank Mir, Wanderlai Silva, Quinton Jackson, and Forrest Griffin, was one heck of a card. Not saying that UFC 93 wasn't great though, because it was, the fights were fantastically contested, but on paper it was nowhere near as strong as 92.

Really looking forward to 94, not only Penn-GSP but also 2 unbeaten guys in Thiago Silva and Lyoto Machida, but other than that I can't say I've heard of any of the other guys. I'm sure it'll be a cracking event though. I'm just really looking forward to Mir-Lesnar, and really hoping it'll be at UFC 97, because with Anderson Silva vs Thales Leites and also Chuck Liddell vs Mauricio Rua it'd be one heck of a card.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
just watched the Affliction card and boy did Fedor knockout Arlowski. One punch and Arlowski got knocked out in mid air attempting a flying knee. Fedor is the best pound-4-pound MMA fighter in the world atm.

Fedor is the only thing missing from UFC in order for it to be called the best MMA organization in the world. If they sign Fedor I have no doubts that he can take out any heavyweight in the UFC, that includes Lesnar.

BTW GSP all the way.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah Fedor is deffo the best. If you looked at the weigh in though there was no way you would have picked him, some average sized guy with a bit of a belly turns out to be one of the toughest blokes around :D Fedor would absolutely bum rape Lesnar.

Sadly we have to wait till tonight to see it here and watch it on crappy bravo :D

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Anderson Silva > Fedor in terms of being the best pound for pound fighter in the world. GSP would probably be up there as well, but Fedor's easily the best Heavyweight in the world.

Oooh, didnt' know Affliction was on Bravo. Will definitely be watching that tonight, then next sunday we've got St Pierre-Penn =D. Really looking forward to that.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Nah Fedor's better, he's pretty much unbeatable and there's a very strong argument that he is the greatest MMA fighter ever. Silva might have had the better comptition recently though and maybe Fedor should come to the UFC but I doubt it would be much different, just more W's for Fedor. Some people reckon Silva could end up at affliction because his contract is up this year apparently. Personally I just reckon he'll retire fairly soon.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Anderson Silva > Fedor in terms of being the best pound for pound fighter in the world. GSP would probably be up there as well, but Fedor's easily the best Heavyweight in the world.

Oooh, didnt' know Affliction was on Bravo. Will definitely be watching that tonight, then next sunday we've got St Pierre-Penn =D. Really looking forward to that.

Anderson wasn't as good in pride as he is in the UFC, while Fedor is really the best and most consistent fighter since 2000. He only has one loss and that came from a elbow above the eyebrow when elbows were illegal. Fedor has beat bigger names in his career too.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I like the fact Fedor knocked him out standing when Freddie Roach was going on about how his boxing knowledge was going to give Arlovski the advantage in that department too :D

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I like the fact Fedor knocked him out standing when Freddie Roach was going on about how his boxing knowledge was going to give Arlovski the advantage in that department too :D

lol yea he said something like "we have a better stand up so we will see if Fedor is going to come out and fight like a man".

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Afflictions been immense so far, Balfour knocking out lyndlyn (sp?) was awesome, he was proper out of it. Barnett-Yvel's been a great fight so far as well, Barnett just needs to keep Yvel down, Yvel'll hammer him on their feet! Really looking forward to Fedor-Arlovski now!

Oohh, Barnett won =D Yvel gave in after being pounded from full mount for 3 rounds!

Edit: Woah, I'll agree with you now. Emilianenko is a gun that was one heck of a punch. Arlovski was looking good as well. Awesome knockout. Arlovski was clean out! Fedor has to give UFC a go now, I'd love to see Fedor vs Lesnar!

Last edited:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Afflictions been immense so far, Balfour knocking out lyndlyn (sp?) was awesome, he was proper out of it. Barnett-Yvel's been a great fight so far as well, Barnett just needs to keep Yvel down, Yvel'll hammer him on their feet! Really looking forward to Fedor-Arlovski now!

Oohh, Barnett won =D Yvel gave in after being pounded from full mount for 3 rounds!

Edit: Woah, I'll agree with you now. Emilianenko is a gun that was one heck of a punch. Arlovski was looking good as well. Awesome knockout. Arlovski was clean out! Fedor has to give UFC a go now, I'd love to see Fedor vs Lesnar!

the only problem with Fedor and UFC is that Dana White doesn't want to let Fedor compete in Sambo competitions. Fedor has been competing in Sambo for as long as hes been fighting and he was the champion from 00-08 and he doesn't want to stop competing.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
WOW, it is ALL over!

GSP utterly dominated BJ Penn, amazing performance, all GSPs training paid off, his allround game is incredible, to get passed Penns guard with such ease is incredible, Penn had no answer. GSP is awesome, and still so young as well considering his ability!

Users who are viewing this thread