MMA/UFC Thread

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Come on Fedor :D I love the guy, can't help but worry every fight that he's due a loss.

ahhahah same.

I think his experience and obviously his better all around ability will get him a win over Rogers.
Watched a video with highlights of both guys fights and for Fedor there were clips of him fighting Nogs, Cro Cop, Heath Hearing and other pride fighters and then for Rogers its him fighting a whole bunch of nobody's in what look like to be back yard rings.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
If Nogueira, Cro Cop, Coleman, Herring, Hong Man Choi and Tim Sylvia can't beat Fedor, then I don't see how Brett Rogers has a chance. Sure, he's achieved more in MMA than current MMA hype-machine Shane Carwin, but that's not saying much. I don't see how Rogers will beat Fedor. His stand-up is probably his strongest suit, but technically he's not as good as Arlovski, and Fedor dealt with him fairly easily, albeit thanks to an idiotic attempted flying knee from Arlovski when he was on top.

I want Fedor to end his career unbeaten, but I also want him fighting the best of the best. He's not really done anything of note since 2005. The win over Arlovski has been his biggest win since the win over Cro Cop at PRIDE Final Elimination 2005. Between those 2 fights he's beaten Zulzinho, Mark Coleman, Mark Hunt, Matt Lindland, Hong Man Choi and Tim Sylvia. That's a list of nothing/over the hill fighters right there. You could even consider Arlovski over the hill really. That's probably the reason I'm not that bothered about this fight, and am looking forward to Shields-Miller more. I see it being another easy win for Fedor, and another fairly mediocre fighter to add to his list.

I want to see him taking on the best in the world, which no matter what Strikeforce try to tell you, are in the UFC. Fights against Lesnar, Nogueira (again), Mir, Velasquez, Carwin, Dos Santos, Kongo and maybe even Randy Couture would be FAR more interesting than fights against Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and probably Andrei Arlovski again; as the chances of Overeem coming back and fighting in the US are looking slimmer and slimmer. He knows he wouldn't get passed a drugs test.

It's just unfortunate that it's looking incredibly unlikely that we'll ever see Fedor in the Octagon fighting for the UFC. The only one of those fights above we're likely to see is against Couture, and that'll be on the new EA Sports MMA game. I'd be surprised if we ever see Fedor take on any of the top UFC heavyweights.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
I would also love to see him in the UFC taking on their heavyweights. It would be awesome to see if he can do what he did in Pride and make his way to the top by beating the guys who were considered to be the top of the pride heavyweight division.
Even at 33 he has what it takes to come to UFC and dominate for 3-4 years because lets face it there isnt a as complete of a heavyweight in the world. Other guys might be stronger or faster but none of them have the complete package of Fedor.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Fedor is God!! Dude just destroyed Rogers. After all that talk that he is not going to be intimidated by Fedor the opposite happens.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Glad I watched it. What a right hand that was :D Strikeforce commentators were annoying though.

Miller's entrance was awesome.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Strikeforce commentators were annoying though.

The guy that interview Fedor in the end actually does everything, College sports, NFL, NBA all that crap. Fedor wanted to say something else in the end and he went to interview Rogers. Shamrock sucks as a commentator, he kept butchering Sokoudjou' name.

Miller's entrance was awesome.

But his fighting skills were disappointing.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
They were, I was more dissapointed in Shields though. Didn't enjoy the fight, wish Miller had got him in that rear naked choke 5 seconds earlier.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I quite enjoyed the Shields-Miller fight after the 1st round. It wasn't a classic, but it wasn't that dull. Shields was excellent and implemented his gameplan perfectly. He wouldn't stand a chance against GSP in the WW division, as although he's a good wrestler there's no way he'd dominate GSP like he did Mayhem.

I liked the Strikeforce commentators. Jimmy Smith's a legend. Thought he seemed a quality bloke on Fight Quest and thought he did a good job.

Loved the Fedor/Rogers fight. Fedor's big right to win the fight was incredible, such power. Rogers did impress me though, looked to have very solid stand-up and did ok on the ground as well. Fedor is a beast. He needs to move to the UFC once his Strikeforce contract finishes though, just to well and truely stamp his name on the mainstream MMA market. I think we'd all love to see Fedor-Lesnar.

Last edited:

las_faiz

International Cricketer
Profile Flag
Canada
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I would also love to see him in the UFC taking on their heavyweights. It would be awesome to see if he can do what he did in Pride and make his way to the top by beating the guys who were considered to be the top of the pride heavyweight division.
Even at 33 he has what it takes to come to UFC and dominate for 3-4 years because lets face it there isnt a as complete of a heavyweight in the world. Other guys might be stronger or faster but none of them have the complete package of Fedor.

UFC doesn't has the depth in their HW. What if when Fedor wins against Lesnar. Who else has UFC got who can give a good fight to Fedor. Then Dana would have just pursuaded Fedor to fight LHW and own it too

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
UFC doesn't has the depth in their HW. What if when Fedor wins against Lesnar. Who else has UFC got who can give a good fight to Fedor. Then Dana would have just pursuaded Fedor to fight LHW and own it too

well Mir, Carwin, Cain Velasquez, Lesnar are all good heavyweights. Big Nog is still there and he looked impressive in his last fight against Randy Couture and who knows maybe some guy emerge as contenders in the next few years.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Junior Dos Santos has a big future as well. In say 2 years I think he'll be one of the better heavyweights in the world. So he'd be worth a fight for Fedor. With all those names you can hardly say there's no incentive for Fedor, it's not like he's been fighting all massive names since 2005.

I forgot to mention 1 thing about the Strikeforce PPV. <3 Fabricio Werdum for trying to box like Roy Jones but failing epicly :laugh He kept trying to bob and weave with his hands down, but just kept getting tagged. Hilarious. He did deserve the win though, was dominated in the 1st round but came back well in rounds 2 and 3. Good fight.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Junior Dos Santos has a big future as well. In say 2 years I think he'll be one of the better heavyweights in the world. So he'd be worth a fight for Fedor. With all those names you can hardly say there's no incentive for Fedor, it's not like he's been fighting all massive names since 2005.

I forgot to mention 1 thing about the Strikeforce PPV. <3 Fabricio Werdum for trying to box like Roy Jones but failing epicly :laugh He kept trying to bob and weave with his hands down, but just kept getting tagged. Hilarious. He did deserve the win though, was dominated in the 1st round but came back well in rounds 2 and 3. Good fight.

I have only seen Spider do the bob and weave like Roy Jones and then murdered Forest.
So its Nogueira vs Velasquez at UFC 108 on January 2nd. This should be a big test for Velasquez, Nogueira looked impressive in his last fight and should put up a good fight against Velasquez. I guess the winner of this fight is the #1 contender for the heavyweight title after Carwin and Lesnar do their thing.

Also Josh Koscheck vs Anthony Johnson at UFC 106 should be a great fight. Both guys are explosive and exciting fighters. Really don't know who to choose in this one.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I'm backing Koscheck. Don't really like him, and rate Johnson highly, but 2 fights in such a short amount of time will really take it's toll on Johnson. He's fighting at Welterweight, but his natural body weight is about 210lbs, meaning he has to cut around 40lbs for every fight, which must be taking a massive strain on his kidneys and the rest of his body. He's going to have to to have keep as much of the weight off that he lost before the Yoshida fight to stand a chance of making 170lbs for this fight. A 2nd consecutive missed weight cut would mean he'd inevitibly be forced to move up a weight class. There's no way he should be fighting at Welterweight, the guy's huge.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Loved the UFC 105 Countdown show last night. Really looking forward to an event that I thought would suck. Couture-Vera should be an exciting fight, that I hope won't be a dull 15 minutes of Randy laying on Brandon, but it's quite possible that it could happen like that. Bisping-Kang will be an exciting battle between 2 guys that need to stamp their name on the UFC. For Bisping he needs a win after the devestating Hendo KO, and Kang could really improve his name with the UFC fans if he pulls off an impressive victory.

Hardy-'One Trick' (:p) is going to be a real war I hope, and could be fight of the night unless Pearson-Riley is the war I'm hoping for. I'd love to see Hardy win, as he seems like a brilliant bloke. He's made me laugh more in the build up for this fight than anyone for a little while. Be a real career boost for him to win, but I don't see how he'd get passed GSP.

Wilks-Brown will be a good fight. Wilks looked awesome against twatty DaMarques in the TUF Finale, and I hope for a similarly impressive performance against Brown. He'll need it, Brown's no mug. Hopefully Wilks will get the fight to the ground, where I expect him to have a solid advantage over the blue belt Brown. Going to be a good fight I reckon.

Pearson-Riley has the potential for FOTN I think. Pearson's going to stand and throw down with Riley, and I expect Riley to be happy to do the same. We didn't see the best of Ross Pearson against Andre Winner, with alot of the fight spent clinched against the cage, but I expect him to open up and show his worth in this fight. It's going to be a real battle. I can't wait. My predictions are as follows:

MAIN CARD

* Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera
* Dan Hardy vs. Mike Swick
* Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang
* Matt Brown vs. James Wilks
* Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley

I'd like to place my faith in Hardy and Pearson, but I'm not sure about their fights. I think it's a very difficult card to predict though, alot of this fights are seriously close. The one I'm most confident in is Couture-Vera, just so long as Couture uses his wrestling to good effect, and doesn't get caught standing by Vera's solid Muay Thai.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Met Dana, didn't meet any of the big fighters because a piss up was needed and stuff. Plus I see Dan Hardy most weeks and half the guys have been down to my gym. The Q&A with GSP was cool, would have liked to meet him and Randy.

Great card, all the lads I wanted to win, won :D So now I can start training seriously and get myself saving up for a trip to Vegas to see Dan Hardy's title shot.

Atmosphere for Bisping was electric.

Users who are viewing this thread