Murali v Warne

Who is better?

• Warne

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • Muri

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
To me personally I think the ability Murali has to play both forms of the game so excellent makes him the better bowler but you can't really compare them so I don't know.

You missed the smily.

Code:
away                  49 2586.2  6671 268  9/65  16/220  24.89  2.57  57.9 20  6
                      73 3424    9233 362  7/165 12/246  25.50  2.69  56.7 20  5

Guess which is Murali.

To suggest that Shane Warne plays a part in helping Brett Lee get a sizeable margin of his wickets is ludicrous.

Them numbers mean nothing? I dont know what they mean?

Well, Murali Has a Legal Action As ICC Consider, So, Words get carried away,IMO, Warne and Murali Have their Style of their Own, [*offtopic]Just like Hooper and me in GFX.[*/OFFTOPIC]

So, As far as i consider, Both are Legends.
Haha, very good post KBC:p

Excatly. He NOW has a legal action because ICC changed it FOR HIM. This obviously means his action used to be ILLEGAL which means all his wickets before 2004 or whenever shouldn't count.

Wow, imagine if that came true;)

It was a very tough decision, but I voted for Muttiah Muralidaran as the better bowler. Some may say it is irrelevant, but I think the amount he has had to deal with, like the rubbish about his action, affects his bowling and he has done brilliantly considering. Shane Warne didn't have to contend with that, as he created his own problems and most of the public liked him.

The number of wickets Muralidaran has taken against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe made me believe that Warne was the better bowler, but in all honesty Muralidaran has not had as many chances as Warne to bowl at the top teams. Warne had the chance to bowl at England every two years for example, Muralidaran every four years, if that. You can only bowl at what is in front of you!

Warne also seemed to crumble under pressure. Take the 2nd Ashes Test in 2005 for instance. He was being smacked around by the batsmen with ease and he looked clueless, looking to others for help. Muralidaran never looks to get in that sort of situation.

One of the most prominent and difficult questions in cricket, this one.

I don't think so, you have listed several reasons why Muralitharan is the better bowler - there is not one area of performance where Warne is better than Murali.

I don't think so, you have listed several reasons why Muralitharan is the better bowler - there is not one area of performance where Warne is better than Murali.

Somebody will find a way to disagree with my reasons though and find a counterargument to suggest that Warne is the better bowler. That is why it is such a difficult question.

And with that comment, you have lost your marbles. You suprised me Manee, I always thought of you as a Cricket fan who knows his stuff. But clearly, you dont rate Warne because he is Australian....

It was a very tough decision, but I voted for Muttiah Muralidaran as the better bowler. Some may say it is irrelevant, but I think the amount he has had to deal with, like the rubbish about his action, affects his bowling and he has done brilliantly considering. Shane Warne didn't have to contend with that, as he created his own problems and most of the public liked him.

The number of wickets Muralidaran has taken against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe made me believe that Warne was the better bowler, but in all honesty Muralidaran has not had as many chances as Warne to bowl at the top teams. Warne had the chance to bowl at England every two years for example, Muralidaran every four years, if that. You can only bowl at what is in front of you!

Warne also seemed to crumble under pressure. Take the 2nd Ashes Test in 2005 for instance. He was being smacked around by the batsmen with ease and he looked clueless, looking to others for help. Muralidaran never looks to get in that sort of situation.

True, but I think Murali won't be great until he does well against Australia over here. He was so weak for not touring here in '04. That was so soft of him.

Under pressure? Well, he performed under pressure in every other 05 Ashes match didn't he? Having to basically get every single wicket with our attack struggling during the Ashes then is a pressure situation aint it? Oh and 99 World Cup..pressure, Australia are struggling, the pressure is on, then Warne does it all! There are so many situations where the team has looked for wicket and then Warne has responded. Oh and I remember Damien Martyn on the '04 tour to Sri Lanka dealt with Murali pretty easily.

Last edited:
As long as Muralidaran tours this winter, I will excuse him for sitting out the last one.

He probably decided not to tour Australia because there are a lot of ignorant, arrogant pig-headed fans there who are convinced they know more than scientific fact over his bowling action.

And with that comment, you have lost your marbles. You suprised me Manee, I always thought of you as a Cricket fan who knows his stuff. But clearly, you dont rate Warne because he is Australian....

True, but I think Murali won't be great until he does well against Australia over here. He was so weak for not touring here in '04. That was so soft of him.

Under pressure? Well, he performed under pressure in every other 05 Ashes match didn't he? Having to basically get every single wicket with our attack struggling during the Ashes then is a pressure situation aint it? Oh and 99 World Cup..pressure, Australia are struggling, the pressure is on, then Warne does it all! There are so many situations where the team has looked for wicket and then Warne has responded. Oh and I remember Damien Martyn on the '04 tour to Sri Lanka dealt with Murali pretty easily.

Murli cant handle pressure, thats why he doesn't tour Australia.

skateboarder said:
He probably decided not to tour Australia because there are a lot of ignorant, arrogant pig-headed fans there who are convinced they know more than scientific fact over his bowling action.
So? Who cares? Hes an international cricketer. Its not our fault hes to soft to handle it.

Lol. Not true. This is not my area of expertise but I throughly rate Muralitharan as the best spinner of all time. I do not hate Warne because he is Australian, I rate Mcgrath as one of the top five bowlers of all time and love to watch Shaun Tait bowl too.

I'll even let you in on a secret; in the 2005 Ashes, I was rooting for the Aussies.

I would say Murali too but the bit I have bolded I disagree with.

Let's hear it then. For once, I am not pulling any punches and really believe in that Muralitharan is the greatest spinner of all time.

Just to note, this is not my area of expertise, that would be English or Indian cricket or fast bowling.

Last edited:
Excatly. He NOW has a legal action because ICC changed it FOR HIM. This obviously means his action used to be ILLEGAL which means all his wickets before 2004 or whenever shouldn't count.

Didn't they find that under the old rules most bowlers were Illegal?

You know what, I said the opposite:

RoboRocks said:
What I've noticed is Warne is brilliant when batsman attack him, he knows what must do in most situations.
The one thing with Muralitharan is that teams fancy if they can get at him they can put him off. Thats what the likes of Australia and India and even Kevin Pietersen in 2006 where Murali was all at sea at times.

The instance you were referring too, you should also notice he wasn't the only bowler since it was a flat pitch on day 1.

I remember going to Edgbaston on Day 2 of the series against Sri Lanka last year and Murali open the bowling in the morning and Kevin Pietersen smacked him and after about three overs of his spell he had to be taken off.

Users who are viewing this thread