Never have I felt so disengaged from the England Cricket Team

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Can't argue with that.

After reading about Graham Taylor's remarks regarding the F.A. it does not surprise me at all.

I must have missed something, what did he lie about?

He said he wanted to leave Australia doing the ashes cos of depression, then he said that he wasnt actually suffering from depression and when he was called out on the lie by guys like vaughn, he went back to the original excuse. trott is weak. let him play in the county circuit.

and why are so many here getting worked up about the treatment of non white players in the england side? its like your all personally affected by me saying they are treated badly, which they are. several ex cricketers and cricket writers have spoken about this for some years now. things are getting better but just like in english football, they are not at the standard they should be. get over it, if your white, its not a personal affront.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
He said he wanted to leave Australia doing the ashes cos of depression, then he said that he wasnt actually suffering from depression and when he was called out on the lie by guys like vaughn, he went back to the original excuse. trott is weak. let him play in the county circuit.

and why are so many here getting worked up about the treatment of non white players in the england side? its like your all personally affected by me saying they are treated badly, which they are. several ex cricketers and cricket writers have spoken about this for some years now. things are getting better but just like in english football, they are not at the standard they should be. get over it, if your white, its not a personal affront.
The idea that Ravi Bopara did not cement a place in the England team because of his ethnicity is absurd. For all that is wrong with English cricket I do not believe its treatment of non-white players is discriminatory. I mean, back in the 1930s we had the Nawab of Pataudi in the team.

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3

Can I also just say Graham Taylor came out very quickly and said this was never the case, and in fact if anything, multicultural diversity was actually encouraged in his selections where possible by the FA?

Liam Stephen

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3

I also recall that during the so called 'rebel tours' many England cricketers at the time refused to go due to having friends they felt would be insulted by them supporting apartheid? Botham even went as far to once tell my mother when he still lived in Epworth (we live in Scunthorpe and she was his babysitter, thus her love for cricket and mine), that he couldn't go as he was at fear of 'being executed simply for sharing a beer with his best friend', who many know was Viv Richards.
I don't know about the selectors, but I highly double ethnic minorities within the team were ever treat in a bad way at all.

War

Chairman of Selectors

Well as black/mixed raced Brit, the ECB while we can accuse them of many things now, I don't ever recall any non-white player in cricket every complaining about being treated badly at all recently, much less in ENG cricket history.

As one poster mentioned England had two Indians in Ranji and Duleepsinji playing in the team before WW1 long before football had its first black national player in Viv Anderson in 1978.

Bopara has been in and out of team over years because their have been periods when he failed & wasn't worth a place. But of course he really should have played more leading up to world cup and in it - that was simply traditional poor English thinking and selection in ODI teams.

However ECB has failed my entire life growing up in this country to tap in the black community. While some of it mental with black brits that grew up in a period whe west indies were bad & really don't care for cricket, the game is seen as a elitist posh, expensive sport in the UK black community & i don't think ECB has done enough to make cricket accessible in public schools.

Asian 90% of them support India or PAK in cricket, I have yet to meet one that supports England in my life ha. No form of investment can change that trend. Which is why guys like Bopara, Moeen Ali, Shah, Panesar, Min Patel, Ravi Patel, Varun Chopra, Ajmal Shehzad, Vikram Solanki, Aftab Habib, Rashid, Kabir Ali, Amjad Khan playing for England or having ambitions to play for England is a more of freak occurrence than a norm.

Last edited:

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
waiting for the right moment to drop kohli for abusing dhawan[/QUOTE
No I get it that ECB is not making the best of decisions, but this if the perfect opportunity to let off field matters remain in the background, and keep the focus on a super super series coming up, against the Kiwis.

This is when off field matters cna be forgotten and fans unite behind the team. Thats what I am saying. Now is not when to be pessimistic.

I think you are right to a certain extent, but iff field matters are affecting on field matters so much that its hard to be anything but pessimistic.

Cook has been confirmed as Captain for the summer regardless of results and form. This is what is causing the pessimism. Plus our best batsman being unselected

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360

I think you're getting worked up about ethinicity actually. I have never heard or read anything about poor treatment of non white players by the ECB or County circuit. Bopara hasnt been selected because he never shows up when needed, Patel because of weight and fitness issues, Monty because he pissed on a bouncer or something like that and Carberry because he didn't make any big scores. Chris Jordan is selected despite being the most inconsistent player in the England squad and Moeen Ali has been promoted to 1st choice spinner and opener in ODI's. Thats just the recent non white players so I think the issue you raise is a non issue.

As someone who sufers from Anxiety and Depression, it is very hard to admit too and talk about openly and frankly the fact you are calling Trott weak is insulting. He should never have been picked again and has lost the skill he once had, but at least he faced up to his anxieties.

D

Dutch

Interesting in all of this is also to gague the mindset of KP: he is off to the IPL on Friday. Does also show where HIS priorities lie in all of this. He also has a lot to answer for.....

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Interesting in all of this is also to gague the mindset of KP: he is off to the IPL on Friday. Does also show where HIS priorities lie in all of this. He also has a lot to answer for.....

I read somewhere that there was an agreement with Sunrisers and ECB that if he was told he wouldnt play for Eng then he would go to Sunrisers for knockout stages. Not sure if it is true though also this will be his income as if he stayed with Surrey he wasn't getting a wage...

D

Dutch

I read somewhere that there was an agreement with Sunrisers and ECB that if he was told he wouldnt play for Eng then he would go to Sunrisers for knockout stages. Not sure if it is true though also this will be his income as if he stayed with Surrey he wasn't getting a wage...

Which is fair enough but I have never lost sight of the fact that KP is all about KP and getting back in an England shirt however much i want to see that is still all about KP.........IMHO

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Which is fair enough but I have never lost sight of the fact that KP is all about KP and getting back in an England shirt however much i want to see that is still all about KP.........IMHO

Yea true but I agree with him 100%. He was told to go to England instead of the IPL. Loose all $250000 to play for a Division 2 team and if he scored runs he would be considered for England. He then did all of that and scored 355* and got assurance that he wasnt going to the meeting to be told 'No' yet that is exactly what happened. For me they treated him like a puppet and I imagine any man with dignity would go as far away as possible from the people who 'humiliated' him.

grkrama

National Board President
sunrisers letting him go ona clause that he will be available for knock outs if they were to qualify for it, and now that they have more or less done KP is joinig them also given that door is closed he might as well move on, though he has said he will think how to proceed in future after coming to india to take his mind off.

stewart has told he hopes that KP returns after IPL for a couple of games before going CPL. I feel he is right while strauss may say whatever he wants , a couple more knocks wouldnt go amiss.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
He's been ruled out for 2 weeks and won't fly out to the IPL.

Users who are viewing this thread