New balls from both ends in ODIs

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
As suggested in ICC meeting to use new balls from both ends in ODIs.

How you think about this?

I think its a bad idea because it will kill reverse swing which is essential part of ODI cricket in conditions like India, Pakistan and Srilanka.

Plus now a days batsmen usually enjoy playing with new ball so it will directly benefits batsmen rather then bowlers who now needs to maintain shine of both balls to get something out of the match. So I am personally not in favour of this idea.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Me too. It will make it more batsman friendly. With less real pace bowlers these days and batsmen getting so used to facing pace, it will speed faster to the boundary.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Exactly. This change is only good in English conditions where you are not able to extract maximum reverse swing due to weather and lush green outfields.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
I think it will suit most batsmen, and express pace fast bowlers but for spinners, it would be hard time bowling and getting the turn.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't think it will change too much really. The balls were getting changed at 34 overs anyway (sometimes earlier), so you were only getting 9 extra overs of potential reverse swing there. Then the replacement balls never usually got too much reverse anyway, since the opposition captain can choose them and he's not going to choose a ball that has been worked on for reverse.

But it will change the tactics. Fast bowlers might bowl more at the beginning now instead of coming back for a couple of overs around the 30th. But then again, since the powerplays have to be used between 16-40 that could change fast bowler usage too. Or spinners might still get a good go at the start since captains know that the ball will be newer for longer and he can bring the fast bowlers on after a few overs of spin to start.

Anyway, I like the change. It gives teams full control over the ball - not the umpires judgement. Sometimes the umpire would change the ball early when it was reversing, which was a big disadvantage to the fielding team. They'd worked hard to get the ball like that, only for it to be taken away. Now I can't see a ball getting changed before it's 25 overs is up unless the fieldsmen are really hurling it into the ground.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
Sounds like a bad idea for spinners. How about having two different teams for each innings (22 players per team)? One for batting and one for fielding/bowling?

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
This is what they used to do in the 90s, didn't seem to hurt Pakistan back then.

This change wasn't held for a long time in 90s. Can anybody know why it was terminated?

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think good fast bowlers will enjoy bowling with two new balls. Also since the both balls will remain in field for fifty overs, the fielders will have opportunity to make one ball reverse in the late overs. I find this new rule to be very exciting indeed.

Fenil

Spinners are definitely on the loser's side. They will not get much turn now and without that I don't think spinners will play a big role in bowling now. Spinners now would be so easily hammered. It an advantageous decision for those teams who don't play spinners well and don't have good spinners either.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Depends what you prefer. If you like high scoring games. Then good idea. But I would like to see some hard hitting at the end so for me it is a good idea and bowlers will be better in death end

Fenil

After this rule, I think things like spin, flight, googly and even world class spinners would be history!

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
I think spinners usually like harder ball, easier to grip. I don't think it would affect a lot. As currently the ball is changed at 34th over anyway.

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
It will be tough for spinners but you all have seen spinners starting he bowling in the WC and they usually control it pretty well.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
2 new balls???? why not just take away the stumps so that batsmen no longer get bowled....wait, how about not allowing any fielders near the boundary and only 1 slip, heck, just take away the slips, and give batsmen three strikes, and lets just remove the run out rule and allow batsmen to go off the field when ever they want and to come back when ever they want....

Users who are viewing this thread